Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2010, 02:31 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Sensor Problem

Just wondering if anyone else out there has had sensor problems when shooting RAW+. I've had my K200D for about 2.5 years and only recently began shooting in RAW. I don't want to edit all of my photos so I shoot RAW+, but I've been getting some "misfires" on a high proportion of pictures. (See attached, the top was the .PEF file and the bottom is the .JPG file.) Any ideas about what is causing this? I'm shooting on continuous shooting (hi) mode, is it basically that the camera can't keep up? Help!

04-23-2010, 02:43 PM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think you more likely have an SD card problem. If it is in fact a sensor problem I don't think it has anything to do with shooting RAW+. The sensor only gathers data, the processor turns it into a jpeg. Your theory about the camera not being able to keep up may be valid but I think it is also possible that it is the SD card that can't keep up. What class is your card?
04-23-2010, 02:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Nice photo. It's not the sensor that's at fault here, but rather your SDHC card most likely. Try it on a different card and see if it improves. You can recover the images using the program PhotoRescue.
04-23-2010, 07:39 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Also, try the brand new firmware just release the other (there are threads baout it all over this forum). The new firmware is specifically supposed to fix certain SD card issues.

04-23-2010, 07:55 PM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with parallax that it might be SD card problem.

But note that the Hi continuous shooting is limited in RAW and RAW+ by the buffer size and by the PP. Once the buffer is full, the camera will slow done completely. Also you need to switch off all in-camera PP. In Hi continuous shooting, the K200D buffer can hold only 4 RAW shots and less in RAW+.

I would not recommend the Hi continuous shooting with RAW or RAW+. Consider JPEG (only) and possibly Lo continuoys shooting.

Cheers...
04-23-2010, 08:52 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can't help with the image problem, but I have never seen a reason to shoot RAW+. You can easily and quickly "Extract a jpg" that is embedded in the RAW file with Pentax software. Takes about 60 seconds for a cardful. Even just batch converting is only a few seconds for each, and you don't even have to sit and watch.
04-24-2010, 12:51 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
This defenetely is not a sensor problem, as photo is properlly recorded in JPG, so sensor works well. Could be SD card as other suggested. Does RAW files show as this one on camera screen? And, what software do you use to view/edit RAW images?
04-25-2010, 05:38 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi all,
Thanks for your help. I have tried many different things. Switched SD cards, turned off continuous shooting, but no luck, and the problem is getting worse -more and more of my raw files are showing up like this. The thumbnails show up ok in camera, but when I download them they are that mess.

I use Adobe Bridge, Camera Raw and Photoshop to edit my photos. When I started shooting RAW I downloaded the Adobe Plug in to open pentax raw format.

I did notice that at the same time the problem got significantly worse my file names started going goofy. They have always been IMGPxxxx.pef or .jpg and now since this has started happening they are showing up as _IGPxxxx.pef. This may be simply coincidence, but I'm leery of coincidences. I phoned the camera store where I purchased the camera and asked them if they had ever heard of this before and they told me it sounded like the files are corrupted somehow, so that they are not properly transferring from camera to computer (the _ in the file name suggests this apperently). They recommended that I send the camera in to Pentax to have them look at it. Without seeing the camera they think it sounds like a firmware problem and potentially the camera will have to be wiped down and the operating system reloaded. I do connect my camera directly to my computer rather than using a card reader -which may be something I end as of now!

Gack!
Thanks for all of your help! I'll post the result just in case anyone else ever runs into a similar problem.

04-25-2010, 07:40 AM   #9
Forum Member

I sticked a 16 GB usb stick at my works Pc yesterday, and it corrupted all my files. It made them unrecognizable to other window PCs. When I got back home and sticked it into my linux pc I saw there was a Notepad.ini and some other exe. files turned out to be Trojans and viruses.

Get a virgin flash card and stick it into your camera first. Take your pictures and load them into different PC. See if it helps.
04-25-2010, 08:05 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kirstenincanada Quote
Hi all,
Thanks for your help. I have tried many different things. Switched SD cards, turned off continuous shooting, but no luck, and the problem is getting worse -more and more of my raw files are showing up like this. The thumbnails show up ok in camera, but when I download them they are that mess.

I use Adobe Bridge, Camera Raw and Photoshop to edit my photos. When I started shooting RAW I downloaded the Adobe Plug in to open pentax raw format.

I did notice that at the same time the problem got significantly worse my file names started going goofy. They have always been IMGPxxxx.pef or .jpg and now since this has started happening they are showing up as _IGPxxxx.pef. This may be simply coincidence, but I'm leery of coincidences. I phoned the camera store where I purchased the camera and asked them if they had ever heard of this before and they told me it sounded like the files are corrupted somehow, so that they are not properly transferring from camera to computer (the _ in the file name suggests this apperently). They recommended that I send the camera in to Pentax to have them look at it. Without seeing the camera they think it sounds like a firmware problem and potentially the camera will have to be wiped down and the operating system reloaded. I do connect my camera directly to my computer rather than using a card reader -which may be something I end as of now!

Gack!
Thanks for all of your help! I'll post the result just in case anyone else ever runs into a similar problem.
Kirsten, i don't know what's going on, but the IMGP represents the camera's file name for sRGB color space files and _IGP means Adobe RGB color space. Most people, i think, are using sRGB file naming for compatibility with internet WEB spaces and for most commercial printing. You can easily reset it via the Menu button.
04-25-2010, 12:48 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kirstenincanada Quote
Hi all,
Thanks for your help. I have tried many different things. Switched SD cards, turned off continuous shooting, but no luck
Did you try updating the firmware like I suggested?

Also, have many cards have you tried? While the likelihood of two bad cards in a row isn't very high, it certainly is possible.

QuoteQuote:
I did notice that at the same time the problem got significantly worse my file names started going goofy. They have always been IMGPxxxx.pef or .jpg and now since this has started happening they are showing up as _IGPxxxx.pef.
As Phil says, that's not goofy - that's normal if you've selected the Adobe RGB color space.

QuoteQuote:
I phoned the camera store where I purchased the camera and asked them if they had ever heard of this before and they told me it sounded like the files are corrupted somehow, so that they are not properly transferring from camera to computer (the _ in the file name suggests this apperently). They recommended that I send the camera in to Pentax to have them look at it.
Sounds like they whomever you talked to is poorly informed. While it's possible there is a camera problem, it's much more like a card problem or simply a matter of doing he firmware update. Don't waste your time or money sending the camera back until you at least *try* updating the firmware and/or trying a couple more cards.
04-25-2010, 10:23 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the information on the file naming and the colour space, I did not know that the colour space affected the file name, learn something new everyday!

I have applied the firmware update and things are better although not 100%. In some of the images I am having a shifting -like the bottom half of the photo will be shifted over an inch. So I think (desperately hope) it is as you have all said and is a card error. I am off to buy a new card tomorrow and see what happens.

Thanks again for all your help.
Kirsten
04-26-2010, 08:48 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Bought a new card today, took about 30 shots on RAW+ and had shifting in one jpg (the bottom half of the shot was moved over) and in another image there was one line that was funky, a bright orange red. So while I'm glad it is definitely better than what it was I'm still a little concerned that this hasn't been completely resolved.
04-26-2010, 11:15 PM   #14

All memory cards are not created equal. It sounds like you are on the right track but perhaps you are making the mistake of buying cheap cards? Don't forget the FW update - it can improve the reliability for less than stellar memory.

Edit: Sorry, missed where you already said you did the FW. Tell what brand and type card you bought, someone here will offer an opinion on its suitability.

Last edited by _phil_; 04-26-2010 at 11:26 PM. Reason: additional info
04-26-2010, 11:19 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If that card is of a good make (e.g. SanDisk), I would definitely have my camera checked/repaired. It would be a pitty if your once-in-a-lifetime shot is corrupted.

PS I assume you updated to version 1.01 ( Latest K200D Firmware Update : Software Downloads : PENTAX )