Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2007, 02:44 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
K10D failure?!

Hi all

My Pentax K10D (serial: 22161xx) has been in use for nearly 9 months now. It has worked flawless for me so far. However on two occasions, I have had the camera fail. It did take the frame, but the shot was all black, or showing banding in one colour and subsequently stopped to work. This has happened once in June (at the G8 summit, where I nearly started pulling my hair out) and last Sun. On both occasions switching it off and then back on seemed to cure it and it continued to work fine with no further issues thereafter.

As it is sill under warranty, I would probably sent it to Pentax UK, but I just wanted someone elses opinion as to what may be the cause of this. The camera always had the latest firmware and if I remember correctly it both happened when using a Tamron 28-200 AF lens. I have attached the shots, to give you an idea.

Please note that I am not looking for advise on how to repair this right now, but more for an opinion, in case this is something you have come across before.

Many thanks

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
07-24-2007, 04:06 AM   #2

Looks like your camera had a case of the " blue screen syndrome".
Do not think that anyone at Pentax could figure out what was going on without this happening on a consistant basis.
By the way, the last picture looks like a good example of 'contemporary art' .
Cheers
07-24-2007, 10:49 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Odd. I've had my K10 "lock up" twice myself. As soon as I hit the shutter, everything locks up, and hte only way to fix it is to remove both batteries.
07-24-2007, 12:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
was it after a lens change?

I had something like this (though it's a black screen and a few folks on DPR had it too) happen a few times after a lens change w/ the camera powered on. Turning it off/on fixed it.
I haven't seen it since I started powering down the camera before lens changes...

07-24-2007, 02:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

My guess would be the SD card.
Try another one.
07-25-2007, 06:31 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by mcleoud151 Quote
Odd. I've had my K10 "lock up" twice myself. As soon as I hit the shutter, everything locks up, and hte only way to fix it is to remove both batteries.
I just had this happen this morning. Took a pic. turned it off. Half an hour later it locked up.
07-25-2007, 01:12 PM   #7

Had that too....

Hi,

I had that two the day I bought the camera. Now since I was and actually still new to DSLR cameras, I didn't know what was the source of the problem.
However, in one time, it turns out that the mode dial was not sitting properly on Tv, I change to Av and everything went back to normal.
Since than (3 months) I didn't notice the problem again.

Hope it helps.

Regards,
07-28-2007, 05:25 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Not that it's likely related, but those screens look just like the screens I was getting when my trusty Sony F717's image sensor went on the fritz. It would first show some psychodelic-artsy pinkish/purple screens, sometimes 100% black.

Although I haven't had it come up on my camera, regardless how many times I've switched lenses with the camera on, perhaps it's something we all have to be on the lookout for I wouldn't wait too long to send it to Pentax.

Here are Sony screens to compare

07-28-2007, 06:11 AM   #9

Page 220 of the manual explains that in rare cases static will cause malfunction. The cure is to switch off, remove the batteries, re-insert and then switch on again. If the camera then works OK there is no need for a repair.

It's worth noting that when changing lenses the camera should always be switched off. Apart from being good electronic sense, the CCD has a charge when switched on and dust could be attracted within the mirror box.