Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2010, 06:49 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Manual Focus + white balance

I took some pictures with Chinon 50mm/1.9 MF lens and white balance was way off under tungsten light. However, when I changed the lens and used FA50/1.4, white-balance was perfect.

Now I'm wondering, what manual focus has to do with white balance. Is there any issue with while balance in manual focus mode? Any insight will be appreciated.

Yusuf

04-24-2010, 10:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Too my knowledge a manual lens has no impact on the camera white balance meter. Perhaps it's a lens coating issue. You could try to set up the white balance manually and see if the problem still exists. I'm guessing it is a metering issue with the lens.
04-25-2010, 06:25 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Even my understanding is that MF should not impact WB. I just took two shots, and adobe camera raw is showing two different values for WB temerature (as shot)

FA 50mm : 3900 (correct)
Chinon: 4350

If I set white balance temperature to 3900 in picture taken by Chinon, both pictures look identical. Additionally, this difference is only visible in low light, in day light, everything seems to be fine (or unnoticeable).

Can anyone using Chinon lens can confirm if they have observed something similar.

Last edited by yusuf; 04-25-2010 at 07:05 AM.
04-25-2010, 08:34 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Yusuf: Manual Focus + white balance
I took some pictures with Chinon 50mm/1.9 MF lens and white balance was way off under tungsten light. However, when I changed the lens and used FA50/1.4, white-balance was perfect.

Now I'm wondering, what manual focus has to do with white balance. Is there any issue with while balance in manual focus mode? Any insight will be appreciated.

Yusuf
Yusuf. MF has no effect on White Balance. In fact, WB, under artificial light in particular, is still one of those areas in dire need of improvement. I can shoot under tungsten light, taking 3 consecutive shots with the same lens, and get 3 different WB values.

This fact, above all others, is what initially drove me to shoot exclusively in RAW, where WB is completely under my control. As far as I know, no camera out there has mastered WB settings, though some are a little better, while others lag a little behind. I hope this helps.

04-25-2010, 08:50 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Yusuf. MF has no effect on White Balance. In fact, WB, under artificial light in particular, is still one of those areas in dire need of improvement. I can shoot under tungsten light, taking 3 consecutive shots with the same lens, and get 3 different WB values.

This fact, above all others, is what initially drove me to shoot exclusively in RAW, where WB is completely under my control. As far as I know, no camera out there has mastered WB settings, though some are a little better, while others lag a little behind. I hope this helps.

When you use the FA lens, you likely use matrix metering but when you use MF lens, the metering changes to spot or center-weight. Thus the white balance is changed based on what is metered on. Also, in matrix metering mode, you can set metering despite focus point selected. Of course, the coating of the lens does have some effect on the color temperature as well, that is normal. If in doubt, use RAW instead of jpeg.
04-25-2010, 09:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
aleonx3: When you use the FA lens, you likely use matrix metering but when you use MF lens, the metering changes to spot or center-weight. Thus the white balance is changed based on what is metered on. Also, in matrix metering mode, you can set metering despite focus point selected. Of course, the coating of the lens does have some effect on the color temperature as well, that is normal. If in doubt, use RAW instead of jpeg.
Yes, a nice observation on different lenses allowing access to different metering modes. My contribution is that even with all conditions constant, including metering mode, the camera can still be erratic with its WB. This is especially problematic in artificial lighting. There is no surprise that DPreview often cites WB failings as a negative for a camera body which otherwise excels in most other areas of performance. WB performance, even in these high tech times, is still in dire need of improvement. Its off to RAW I go! And some soft wares perform much better with correct calibration of WB for a RAW file, than do others.
04-25-2010, 09:55 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I have taken the habit to always set the WB manually when shooting indoors. With the risk of telling you something you already know, there is an option in the manual WB menu that allows you to set the WB by taking a shot (it's not saved, just shown on the LCD) and then selecting a white area within that shot - it works very well and it makes PP much easier. Basically, once you get in the manual WB screen, point the camera at something that has some white area (as well as other colors, so you can check the WB gets adjusted right), press the shutter, switch the selection area to small and select that white area in the image - the camera will adjust WB. You can of course make further manual adjustments, but the automatic fixing usually works for me.

I'm not sure if other cameras have something similar, but this is really a nice feature.