Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2010, 07:01 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K-x correct exposure indicator.

does the k-x have a correct exposure indicator? i have been reading understanding exposure and the book references an exposure indicator.

thanks
jorge

04-24-2010, 07:39 AM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boosted03gti Quote
does the k-x have a correct exposure indicator? i have been reading understanding exposure and the book references an exposure indicator.

thanks
jorge
Yes, it does. But it gets kind of complicated.

Have you looked at the k-x manual yet?
04-24-2010, 07:40 AM   #3
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mods:

Please move this to Beginners Q&A as fast as the wind.
04-24-2010, 08:02 AM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

This is an appropriate place for the question, but I certainly think Ira has a valid question.
The book you are reading is going to be quite helpful, but I would suggest that more than just a perfunctory skimming over of the manual would be very beneficial as well.

04-24-2010, 08:51 AM   #5

The correct exposure indicator shows up in the view finder when camera is set to `manual` on most other cameras. I do not own a K-x but know of no reason why it should not be the same as K20d K100d etc.
04-24-2010, 11:07 AM   #6

Original Poster
i admit, i have not read the entire manual however, i did a ctrl f search for exposure and the few mention of the word did not reference a correct exposure indicator and when i read what all the icons on the view finder and display are, none are listed as a "correct exposure" indicator. just simply a focus indicator.
04-24-2010, 11:59 AM   #7
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Check pages 98, 99, and 101 of your manual.

04-24-2010, 06:40 PM   #8
Veteran Member

It's not normally called a "correct exposure indicator". It's normally called a "meter".
04-26-2010, 11:37 AM   #9

correct exposure indication

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
It's not normally called a "correct exposure indicator". It's normally called a "meter".
Marc, I think he means an indication that the correct exposure has been set e.g. a red light turns green or a needle lines up with a mark in the viewing screen (remember Spotmatics?).
04-26-2010, 05:40 PM   #10
Inactive Account

The answer to your question is "yes".

In Manual Mode, when you look in the view finder of your KX, from the left you will see the Shake Reduction Hand, followed by the Shutter Speed then Aperture, Focus Indicator and then the Exposure Value.

The Exposure Value in manual mode will tell you if you are over or under exposed by up to 3 stops either way. So if you see +2.7, then you are 2.7 stops over exposed. If it blinks 3.0 either + or - then you are outside the 3 stop range one way or the other.

You use the wheel to change either the aperture or shutter speed to get the Exposure Value to 0 or what ever you decide you want to use for that photo.

In Aperture or Shutter Priority, this Exposure Value tuns into the ISO speed.
04-26-2010, 08:20 PM   #11
xjx
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Al_in_the_Shire Quote
The answer to your question is "yes".

In Manual Mode, when you look in the view finder of your KX, from the left you will see the Shake Reduction Hand, followed by the Shutter Speed then Aperture, Focus Indicator and then the Exposure Value.

The Exposure Value in manual mode will tell you if you are over or under exposed by up to 3 stops either way. So if you see +2.7, then you are 2.7 stops over exposed. If it blinks 3.0 either + or - then you are outside the 3 stop range one way or the other.

You use the wheel to change either the aperture or shutter speed to get the Exposure Value to 0 or what ever you decide you want to use for that photo.

In Aperture or Shutter Priority, this Exposure Value tuns into the ISO speed.
Notice that when old M or K lenses are used the exposure value is not displayed.
04-27-2010, 12:46 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jlaubza Quote
Marc, I think he means an indication that the correct exposure has been set e.g. a red light turns green or a needle lines up with a mark in the viewing screen (remember Spotmatics?).
Right, and in current models, the thing that provides this same indication is called the "meter" - it reads 0.0 when you have the correct exposure. OK, actually the meter is the thing doing the measuring; the 0.0 is just the "meter display". Whatever, the reason he isn't finding "correct exposure indicator" in the manual is because that isn't the name for it. As I said, you have to be in M mode to see this display, which makes total sense, because in all other modes, you're *always* getting correct exposure (according to the camera). And as noted, you don't see the meter reading normally when using the aperture ring (eg, with K- and M- series lenses), but you can make it display by doing a DOF preview.
04-27-2010, 04:16 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Marc is right, the DSLRs nowadays just display the "correct" exposure since it shifts either the shutter speed or aperture depending on what "mode" you are on..or if it can't compensate (wrong exposure), either the shutter speed or aperture value "blinks".