Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2010, 08:23 AM   #1

Cannot Update Firmware

I have downloaded the new firmware for my K10, but when I try to extract the file by double clicking on it all that happens is that I get a screen with the words, Unidentified program wants to access computer, I click Allow and then I get a new screen with Install Directory on it, I click OK and then nothing happens.
Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong.

04-24-2010, 09:11 AM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try downloading it from a different server. Also, all you're doing is extracting the file--so it sounds like an extraction/decompression problem with your browser.

I'll assume you're on a PC. Do you have WinZip? If so, SAVE the file from the server--don't run it like a program. Then copy it to the root level of your SD card (not within any other folders.)

Insert card in camera, power up, and follow instructions--and don't touch ANYTHING until it's done.

You don't run the firmware off the computer with the camera connected. You just copy the properly decompressed files to your card, and the camera runs the program.
04-24-2010, 01:34 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

You already received some good advice. Download first the compressed file in your computer. Later uncompress it and place the uncompressed file in your computer. Reformat your card, then copy to the card.

Many people download the firmware from the Japanese Pentax website, but you may use nay official Pentax website. Here is the North-American website: Manuals and Literature - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site.

Hope that you will be able to update successfully your camera firmware....
04-24-2010, 03:04 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
You already received some good advice. Download first the compressed file in your computer. Later uncompress it and place the uncompressed file in your computer. Reformat your card, then copy to the card.

Many people download the firmware from the Japanese Pentax website, but you may use nay official Pentax website. Here is the North-American website: Manuals and Literature - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site.

Hope that you will be able to update successfully your camera firmware....

The North American site still does not have version 1.31, only the two year old 1.30.

04-24-2010, 03:59 PM   #5
Pentaxian

The file you need to put in the root directory of the SD card is FWDC162B.BIN with size 8,650,752 bytes and date created on Feb 16, 2010.
04-25-2010, 12:39 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for all the help everyone. I have now extracted the files but I still cannot open the readme.txt file. This file explaines the update procedure, the Pentax site tells me to read this file before attempting the update, so I still cannot proceed.
04-25-2010, 01:00 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Make Triple sure your batteries are FULLY charged. That's THE most Important part.

Make sure you copy that BIN file to the ROOT directory of your card. Must do this part or it won't work.

Put the card in your camera and while holding the Menu Button, Turn the camera On.

When asked, (you charged your batteries right?), Answer YES.

Phase 1 will complete in about 30 seconds. Phase 2 will take about 90 seconds (these aren't exact times, your update should take about 2 minutes).

When it says Complete and (on the K10/20/7) the red light near the SD slot flashes (may be different for your camera), you can turn the camera off.

DO NOT TURN THE CAMERA OFF BEFORE THAT POINT. IF you do, you will be the proud new owner of a Pentax Brick. You charged your batteries, Right? If they run out of power before the update completes, Brick.

Reformat the card when complete to erase the file from it.

Enjoy your new features, whatever they are.

Good luck.

Last edited by JeffJS; 04-26-2010 at 11:33 AM.
04-25-2010, 10:36 PM   #8

I flashed my firmware on my *isDL and now flash no good

I flashed my firmware on my *isDL and now flash no good. The flash works, but the picture taken looks dark??

I'll see tomorrow what daytime pictures look like.

Dan

04-26-2010, 11:12 AM   #9

Original Poster
Success !!!!!! Thanks everyone.
04-26-2010, 12:39 PM   #10
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by a johnson Quote
Success !!!!!! Thanks everyone.
Congratulations.

It's a nerve-wracking experience, isn't it?
04-27-2010, 04:36 PM   #11
Veteran Member

That's why firmware upgrades are better with an AC adapter.
Even on a Sony PSP, it can still be nerve wracking when flashing.