Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2010, 08:35 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've been thinking... might be a great idea...

Just a quick thought about the DSLRs getting smaller and smaller, I hope Pentax doesn't go into Micro 4/3 system market.
here is an idea, if Pentax can come up with a DSLR that perform as good as K-x, but the size of Pen-1(2) or GF1(maybe a tiny bit bigger, not by much), with their current DA limited lenses, they would make perfect systems to carry around and to travel with... I bet there will be plenty more Lecia fans out there that would pick up this Pentax(ideal)...

Just a thought!!!

What yall think of my idea?

04-24-2010, 10:37 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luke0622 Quote
Just a quick thought about the DSLRs getting smaller and smaller, I hope Pentax doesn't go into Micro 4/3 system market.
here is an idea, if Pentax can come up with a DSLR that perform as good as K-x, but the size of Pen-1(2) or GF1(maybe a tiny bit bigger, not by much), with their current DA limited lenses, they would make perfect systems to carry around and to travel with... I bet there will be plenty more Lecia fans out there that would pick up this Pentax(ideal)...

Just a thought!!!

What y'all think of my idea?
I think it's an idea.. I also think that the Kx form is probably as small as Pentax DSLRs need go. A rangefinder size sounds interesting but I would rather see them go bigger (if they are going to into another body type) into a FF 35mm DSLR. I think a company that spends too much time chasing and trying to please everybody, ends up pleasing nobody. Henry Ford had the right basic idea with his Tin Lizzy... "They can have any color they want, as long as it's Black...". That may be a bit of an extreme thought but I'm of the firm belief that you do one thing, do it best, and let the others fight over what's left. I don't think Any company is doing that right now. Maybe it's antiquated thinking on my part...

04-24-2010, 10:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Samsung has that the NX10...
There might be some tradeoffs like the EVF and compatibility for the kmount lenses
04-25-2010, 12:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luke0622 Quote
if Pentax can come up with a DSLR that perform as good as K-x, but the size of Pen-1(2) or GF1(maybe a tiny bit bigger, not by much), with their current DA limited lenses
They can't. The DA Limited lenses require a longer registration distance than lenses designed for mirrorless cameras. No matter how you slice it, the distance from the front of the lens to the back of the camera will have to be just as big as it currently is.

They could potentially shrink other aspects of the camera, but it's not going to get any smaller in that dimension. And given that Samsung has already produced this camera, I really can't see Pentax duplicating that effort.