Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2010, 11:01 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K-x and night shooting/long exposures

Does anyone use the K-x for such shots? I wanted to take night photos of my town but wanted to see what the K-x was capable of. I did try to take some night shots at the local lake where I fish once...one was of a bridge with a lamp post next to it. My shutter speed was set to bulb and I left the shutter open for probably 20-30 seconds and it was pretty dark still....without having a remote it seems hard to use bulb but all other apertures weren't fast enough even at the longest shutter speed.

04-24-2010, 11:56 PM   #2
Forum Member

Piece of cake

Hey, as a fellow k-x user here are some tips.
Go to manual "M" set ISO at 800-1600-3200 then
Aperture, lets say kit lens 3.5 or 4.0 or 5.6
Shutter speed, just press the Top Green Button, its call Hyper Manual Mode, it will give you the balanced, well exposed shutter speed, lets say 5 seconds
It might mess with you aperture but you will like the result
This is where a tripod or level surface helps, stabilize your camera, press it (or use the timer functions (Arrow up in the <^> next to the screen)and let it record the image

The better the lens, the better the ISO performance it will give you.
I can only say that about the 50-135 2.8 can do ISO 6400 easy.
04-25-2010, 04:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Only one reply?

Anyone have sample night shots with the K-x and exif info?
04-26-2010, 09:42 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
Here are some links to some night shots with the Pentax K-x

http://picasaweb.google.gr/ElLinkDePicasa/TamronLens?authkey=Gv1sRgCJaf2-rnj...12940069066146

http://picasaweb.google.gr/ElLinkDePicasa/NewLens?locked=true#5427187624725345378

http://picasaweb.google.gr/ElLinkDePicasa/PentaxKX?locked=true#5441322277320398018

Last edited by jorgitog1; 04-26-2010 at 09:50 AM.
04-26-2010, 03:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The K-x is excellent for long exposures at night, but of course it works best if you have a remote to make bulb shooting easier. You can generally get 3rd-party remotes for a few bucks on ebay.

Wanting to do star trails on a recent vacation of mine but lacking a remote, my makeshift solution was to wrap a strap around the handgrip of the camera (over the shutter button) and wedge the end of a stick in between the strap and the shutter button to start the exposure. The strap held the stick in, keeping the shutter button held down and the shutter open until I pulled the stick out, ending the exposure. This technique allowed me to successfully pull off some 20-minute exposures like this one:
04-26-2010, 03:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ptwist61 Quote
The better the lens, the better the ISO performance it will give you.
I can only say that about the 50-135 2.8 can do ISO 6400 easy.
Is this true? I've always thought ISO and noise ratio is strictly a function of the sensor.

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
The K-x is excellent for long exposures at night, but of course it works best if you have a remote to make bulb shooting easier. You can generally get 3rd-party remotes for a few bucks on ebay.
If I wanted the best remote, which would it be?
04-26-2010, 04:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
Is this true? I've always thought ISO and noise ratio is strictly a function of the sensor.
You are correct. I think the poster you quoted may have meant "better" lens as in a faster lens, which would let you use a lower ISO for the same shutter speed, resulting in lower noise.

However, the wording is not at all clear. If they meant a more expensive lens will give you better high ISO performance (which would also be an easy interpretation of the post), then they must have gotten some bad information somewhere, as that's quite simply not true.

QuoteQuote:
If I wanted the best remote, which would it be?
I'm honestly not sure of the "best" remote, but as I seem to recall one of the third-party remotes on ebay that usually ships from asia for about $20 total is preferred by some users over Pentax's own remotes because it has more features or something. Personally, I'd just go for the $2 remote that lets you do bulb exposures more easily.

04-29-2010, 08:31 AM   #8
Inactive Account

I've found that when lacking a remote, using a normal wide banded rubber band and wrapping it around the grip twice will hold down the shutter button just fine. To make things easier in regards to camera shake, just put a stocking cap or something similar over the lens until the rubber band is positioned and shutter pressed, wait for any shaking to stop, then gently pull the hat off and the exposure will begin.

Here's a recent example night shot:

04-29-2010, 11:34 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Thanatos Quote
I've found that when lacking a remote, using a normal wide banded rubber band and wrapping it around the grip twice will hold down the shutter button just fine. To make things easier in regards to camera shake, just put a stocking cap or something similar over the lens until the rubber band is positioned and shutter pressed, wait for any shaking to stop, then gently pull the hat off and the exposure will begin.
To minimize shock, you can also just use the 2 or 10 second timer: yes, they work even for bulb shots.

Very nice shot, btw!
04-29-2010, 11:38 AM   #10
Veteran Member

There is a long thread on this forum about long exposures -
from some very experienced people. Check it out -

K-x is king for long exposures and astrophotography!
05-01-2010, 06:52 PM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
To minimize shock, you can also just use the 2 or 10 second timer: yes, they work even for bulb shots.

Very nice shot, btw!

Heh, yeah you're right. And the rubber band method wouldn't take more than a 10 second timer. Not sure why, but I guess something in my mind just didn't connect bulb with the timer...
Thanks for the photo comment BTW.