Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2010, 05:23 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Flash Compatibility Enquiry

I have recently acquired a K-x and am very happy with it. The instructions give dire warnings about the use of "reversed polarity" flash guns on the hot shoe. I am considering buying a hot shoe adaptor so that I can use my Metz 45 CL1.

Does anybody have any experience of this combination please?

What equipment might be of "reversed polarity"? (And why?)

Many thanks

04-25-2010, 11:40 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I'm "semi-" familiar with Metz 45 series. I'm still using them with my K10Ds and my K7.

The Metz 45CL-1 will work with your K-x. I think the trigger voltage is about 5.5V. But you should measure it on you flash unit just to make sure.

For Pentax DSLRs (and most, if not all current cameras), the center of the hotshoe is positve, the contacts on either side of the hotshoe are negative. The flash unit needs to have the same polarity. "Reversed polarity" is when on the flash, the center of the foot is negative and the sides are positive.

I heard that flash units with reversed polarity did exist, but I haven't seen one. It is as rare as cars with "reversed polarity" (chassis is positive).

The Metz 45CL-1 for sure does NOT have reversed polarity.
04-26-2010, 01:29 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thank you SOldBear.

I haven't rushed on this one as I don't like to use flash if I can avoid it.
04-26-2010, 11:01 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Reversed polarity seems more common with studio strobes than anything else. Before we went wireless in the studio I always had to reverse the connector to the box before my camera would fire the flash, though the Nikon users didn't have any problems.