Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2010, 06:38 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Full frame pentax

we are looking forward to hear Pentax announcing a Full Frame DSLR. It's really becoming a serious handicap and I hear many Pentaxians are changing their brand just because of this. Even if there may be a preparation for such a thing and Pentax may announce this, Pentaxians are patient enough to wait for it for some more. It's not possible to make professional or semi-professional photography with crop DSLRs and Pentax should not be condemned to be known as amateurs' DSLR. I started with Z10 20 years ago and I'm a K10D user now. I'll not upgrade to K7 or any future crop DSLR if a Pentax FF DSLR may not launch in the future. I hope this K10D will not b my last Pentax....

11-12-2010, 12:31 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Keep waiting, it could happen but not soon.
11-12-2010, 12:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

you''ll have a wait
and it's entirely possible to make professional pics with a crop sensor (It's possible to make professional images on a holga just depends on the way they'll be used I know a Fashion Photographer in Isreal that does ad and magazine work using a few different holgas)
look at the specs on the k5 it outdoes a number of ff cameras
11-12-2010, 01:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cem.kumuk Quote
It's not possible to make professional or semi-professional photography with crop DSLRs ...
Better not tell the hundreds or thousands of professional photographers who regularly make money using their Pentax APS-C cameras....

Seriously, if you need FF that badly and think it is going to improve your photos drastically, switch systems or better yet buy a 645D which is even larger than FF35mm format.

Mike

11-12-2010, 01:16 PM   #5

I must say that I also believed that FF is a must for a serious camera making company. Well, after K-5 and specially 645D you can't say that Pentax is just a marginal company. It is true that FF offers more in certain aspects of photography, but there are other aspects that don't require FF which Pentax can do just fine, even more than that.
It looks to me that Pentax positioned itself on the dslr market, and that FF is not in the near future. If your really need FF camera, I think that there is a lot of equipment out there, especially used one, that you can buy for a really not too much money. You can get Canon 5D for 500-600 Euro here in Europe, and if you really need shallow DOF it is a way to go. Of course, you will not get superb ISO, high fps, and other stuff, but you always have the choice to get another body that can do all of that.
11-12-2010, 01:29 PM   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

hegedus has a good point. If having a 24x36 sensor is more important to you than actual image quality; go for it. Buy a Canon.
11-12-2010, 01:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

blackcloudbrew: what made you dig up this 6 months old thread?

11-12-2010, 02:22 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cem.kumuk Quote
we are looking forward to hear Pentax announcing a Full Frame DSLR. It's really becoming a serious handicap and I hear many Pentaxians are changing their brand just because of this. Even if there may be a preparation for such a thing and Pentax may announce this, Pentaxians are patient enough to wait for it for some more. It's not possible to make professional or semi-professional photography with crop DSLRs and Pentax should not be condemned to be known as amateurs' DSLR. I started with Z10 20 years ago and I'm a K10D user now. I'll not upgrade to K7 or any future crop DSLR if a Pentax FF DSLR may not launch in the future. I hope this K10D will not b my last Pentax....
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Better not tell the hundreds or thousands of professional photographers who regularly make money using their Pentax APS-C cameras....

Seriously, if you need FF that badly and think it is going to improve your photos drastically, switch systems or better yet buy a 645D which is even larger than FF35mm format.

Mike
mike

don't forget the pros that make a living with canon, sony and nikon cropp sensors, or even those more rare than pentax 4/3 pro shooters.

When will the full frame issue end? Pentax has repeatidly announced they are fuilly comitted to ASP-C, sony is no longer selling FF sensors to nikon, so you have to wonder how long full frame will be around, especially with the new sensors and the performance relitive to noise.

As much as it pains me to say this, it might just be one area where pentax marketing got it right. (God that sounds impossible)
11-12-2010, 02:35 PM   #9

Well: the new DA 35/2.4 that I own since 2 weeks now is FF, so there's allways hope I guess...............

hansli
11-12-2010, 03:03 PM   #10
wll
Veteran Member

I hope it never happens !

Pentax needs to keep improving its current line up and make a killer EVIL camera.

36x24 size sensor is almost a moot point, use APS-C or for serious studio go 645. IMHO

In a year or so the difference in sensor size will be a argument in futility ... it almost is now !

Why did I even post on this FF crap thread anyway ;- )

wll
11-12-2010, 03:04 PM   #11

With over 50k clicks on my Pentax I really don't care about FF.
11-12-2010, 03:13 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I know of 2 photographers (not on this forum) having sold their 5D MkII in favor of the K-5. So...