Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2010, 02:18 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here we go.. IR with a K7...

Disclaimer.. I know that the overall quality of the photos is crap, I let the Tamron @ 70mm Auto Focus on whatever it grabbed. These are for demo purposes only.

K7d, Tamron LD Di 70-300 @ 70mm, Hoya R-72 IR filter

I was not able to set the WB with the filter on. The custom function just doesn't seem to like that filter because there is nothing near white or gray to grab. Strangely, the WB that came closest was a setting I did last night using a Flash (no filter on the camera) for the WB adjust exposure. If you are using ACR or similar where you can adjust the WB, it may not matter either way.

What the WB actually amounts to is Tungsten with a very heavy Green Tint. So you may just be able to set one of your WB options accordingly. To start, just get a shot and then adjust WB until you have something that removes most of the cast.

As you can see in the exposure information, f5.6, ISO 200, 10 seconds. The resulting image is garbage but it's a start..

A little more fiddling with the WB and getting things somewhat in focus....

ISO800, f8, 10 seconds (the sun had come out from behind the clouds in the other shot).

Not necessarily the most desirable for this type of shooting, but it can be done..

Last edited by JeffJS; 04-28-2010 at 02:35 PM.
04-28-2010, 02:56 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the info, I couldn't get it to see anything through the filter to do the WB either.... I guess I'll try and find someone to convert my K-100D and buy the wife a K-X when she decides which color she wants.
04-28-2010, 03:24 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I found a company in MD USA I sent a email about doing my K100d and he said.
We charge $235 for the Pentax K100D IR conversion service which includes the Priority shipping and insurance for sending the camera back.
04-28-2010, 04:28 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
for white balance, set camera on tripod, zoom on a nice green patch of grass, de focus slightly, set around 15 seconds at a wide aperture, dont worry if you can see it. And take a picture then set that as your custom wb. Do this with filter on by the way*

04-28-2010, 05:46 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jon Schick Quote
Strong recommendation if you can bear it is to track down an old 6MP dSLR body instead and use your IR filter with that. An exposure that would take perhaps 10-15 seconds with the K-7 can be made in about a second with something like the K100D, because the IR blocking filter on the sensor is much less strong.

This shot was taken with a K100DS in 1.3 seconds at ISO200:

Or better yet, get it converted to an IR dedicated camera so you'd be able to take shots like these:

All taken handheld at normal daylight shooting speed (F8, 1/125s or there about)
04-28-2010, 06:45 PM   #21
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
I found a company in MD USA I sent a email about doing my K100d and he said.
We charge $235 for the Pentax K100D IR conversion service which includes the Priority shipping and insurance for sending the camera back.
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Or better yet, get it converted to an IR dedicated camera so you'd be able to take shots like these:

All taken handheld at normal daylight shooting speed (F8, 1/125s or there about)
I definitely think the dedicated camera is the best option.. but I thought you were looking to just try it out (basically)..

K20d (bought it that way, didn't have it converted)..

04-28-2010, 07:57 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
for white balance, set camera on tripod, zoom on a nice green patch of grass, de focus slightly, set around 15 seconds at a wide aperture, dont worry if you can see it. And take a picture then set that as your custom wb. Do this with filter on by the way*
I understand how to take the photo, I don't understand on how to set tha camera for that custom WB. Is there a thing you select?

04-28-2010, 10:51 PM   #23
Veteran Member

just take the photo like i said, then go straight to your wb menu and select custom wb then press ok.
04-29-2010, 05:50 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank You TOUGEFC.
I'm still going to have my K100d switched to IR what should I do for the sensor? These are the 2 options.
Great shots Jeff and everone.

The IR filter used in this camera has 665nm Cut-Off at 50% transmission rate. We also have 720nm IR filter available or Pentax K100d IR conversion.
04-29-2010, 02:03 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Anyone know which is better?
665nm Cut-Off at 50% transmission rate. Or a 720nm IR filter .