Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2010, 10:53 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
IR Filter & K-7 shooting

I want to try this IR filter I have and was wondering how to exactly set the camera up for it. I know I need to use a high ISO but how do you focus on the area when you can't see thru the filter? And whats the best way to keep the shutter open long.(i have both kinds of remotes) and any other advise besides the tripod.

Thanks
Jack

Last edited by Fl_Gulfer; 04-25-2010 at 11:04 AM.
04-25-2010, 11:05 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I haven't tried any IR with my K7 yet but I can assure you that you probably don't want to use a High ISO unless you plan on shooting handheld. You can set any shutter speed you want, up to 30 seconds, or use a locking remote for B and keep it open until you run out of power.

Basically the steps are,

Av, Set your White Balance manually with the filter in place, tripod, aim the camera in a general direction (or scout it out before placing the filter), Use AF (if using an autofocus lens) with the filter in place, 2 second timer, shoot away. Cover the rear viewfinder to keep stray light from getting in. If you've done it right, your photo will have a bluish cast to anything green (that is lit by sunlight). If you've missed the WB, you may see a reddish (very light) cast.

Taken with a K20d, Hoya R72, ISO100, f9, 30 seconds, and FA43mm Ltd.

There was no RAW file for this photo because I was waiting for a replacement card and all I had for this experiment was a 16Mb (yes that's an M).

04-25-2010, 11:19 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
This is what I just got in B mode with the wired remote held down for 15 sec. ISO 1600.

04-25-2010, 12:31 PM   #4
Inactive Account

What kind of filter are you using? You still need to get the white balance right, that will help quite a bit. Use a white card, even a sheet of paper, in a well lit (sunlight) area, with the filter on to set the WB.

I can see stuff in your photo but it's pretty well obscured by the red cast.

04-26-2010, 10:30 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Point the camera at the grass and set your white balance off of that.
04-26-2010, 11:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Dont use bulb mode, just use somewhere between 15-30seconds with a wide aperture at iso 100 and use a custom white balance.

Not from a k7 but heres one of mine from the weekend with my k200d and r72 filter, is this the kind of shots your trying to acheive?
04-27-2010, 08:18 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm a little lost I guess, I can't set the white balance with the IR Filter on the camera since the camera can't get any light through it.
Now if I go into the white balance settings what should I set it on. just Custom? I know there are alot of settings in the white balance menu. And I've never tried to set the white balance manualy against a white background. I have changed the setting for the different light bulbs in the room I was shooting in before but thats about it.
Tomorrow I'll just play around with it again and see what happens.

Thanks Guys
04-27-2010, 08:36 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
I'm a little lost I guess, I can't set the white balance with the IR Filter on the camera since the camera can't get any light through it.
Now if I go into the white balance settings what should I set it on. just Custom? I know there are alot of settings in the white balance menu. And I've never tried to set the white balance manualy against a white background. I have changed the setting for the different light bulbs in the room I was shooting in before but thats about it.
Tomorrow I'll just play around with it again and see what happens.

Thanks Guys
You should be able to set the WB with the filter on and that's exactly what you want to do. Just because you cannot see through the filter doesn't mean light is not passing though. Set it to Manual (may show as K on the bottom of the WB menu). Select the box with two triangles beneath it and then cursor over from there. You should see on the top left of the screen "Shutter Adjust". Point the camera at your WB target and press the shutter. Then select an area (you want the resulting screen to be as uniform as possible), and hit OK. That's your custom setting.

04-28-2010, 09:33 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for explaining that Jeff, aka fellow michigander
04-28-2010, 09:38 AM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
Thanks for explaining that Jeff, aka fellow michigander
Hope it works for you.. I've discovered that it Can be a little finicky and you may have to try it a few times. Of course, judging from your Avatar, you're familiar with that term, Right?

04-28-2010, 09:38 AM   #11
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

FWIW, manual exposure with live view to ev+5 is really really useful in still being able to still see what the hell you're doing with a ND110, maybe it helps with IR as well
04-28-2010, 10:50 AM   #12

Strong recommendation if you can bear it is to track down an old 6MP dSLR body instead and use your IR filter with that. An exposure that would take perhaps 10-15 seconds with the K-7 can be made in about a second with something like the K100D, because the IR blocking filter on the sensor is much less strong.

This shot was taken with a K100DS in 1.3 seconds at ISO200:

04-28-2010, 11:06 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have a K100d camera also and I can put my Tamron 17-50 f2.8 on that with the filter (IR 950) if that would work better.
04-28-2010, 11:26 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Jon Schick Quote
This shot was taken with a K100DS in 1.3 seconds at ISO200:
What lens was this taken with, out of curiosity?
04-28-2010, 12:56 PM   #15

Hi - it was the DA 21 Ltd. I've also had good results with the 18-55 DA AL II and 28mm SMCA. Hope this helps,

Jon