Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2010, 08:41 PM   #16
Veteran Member

I am confused....one reason you are considering Canon is more lenses in their lineup, yet the next lens you want is a Tamron 17-50/28? You are aware you can buy one for your Pentax? I have one and it works great...no one can tell my photographs are from a Pentax, or a Canon, or Nikon, FF or cropped sensor body.

If you have a decent body and decent glass, you can make excellent photographs, given your skills....regardless of the brand. Shoot with what makes you happy.

Jason

04-25-2010, 08:42 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
I am confused....one reason you are considering Canon is more lenses in their lineup, yet the next lens you want is a Tamron 17-50/28? You are aware you can buy one for your Pentax? I have one and it works great...no one can tell my photographs are from a Pentax, or a Canon, or Nikon, FF or cropped sensor body.

If you have a decent body and decent glass, you can make excellent photographs, given your skills....regardless of the brand. Shoot with what makes you happy.

Jason
Not to mention that with the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 on the Canon you don't have any image stabilization, but you will with the Pentax if you get it.
04-25-2010, 08:55 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm looking at buying the Tamaron for 2 reasons. 1. It's cheaper then the pentax da*16-55 2.8 lens and 2. I can't find any place that sells the pentax da* 16-55 2.8 lens.

If I decide to make procede to make the switch to Canon I won't be buying the Tamaron lens. That is why I'm asking the question of which is a better investment (sticking with Pentax or moving to Canon)
04-25-2010, 09:16 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Hey Elwood Quote
Hi everyone,

I have a quick question. I currently have a K20d with a da 50-135 lens. I've got a wedding to photograph in October and need to make a decision. I'm thinking about picking up a companion to my 50-135 lens for my k20 but I'm thinking I might want to start saving for a new camera as well. I'm thinking about picking up a k-7 but I'm hearing fantasitic things about the Canon 7d. I'm thinking it might be time to switch systems but I wanted to get everyone's thinking about k-7 before I make any decisions.
The 7D is an excellent camera. That said, I'd buy the 17-50mm, keep the K20 and 50-135 and use them to make the money i needed to purchase my next camera/lens upgrade. Then either keep the K20 setup as backup or sell it to finance new lenses, and take a look at comments here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/98701-k-7-suitability-weddings.html

Last edited by ivoire; 04-25-2010 at 09:25 PM.
04-25-2010, 09:35 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Hi everyone,

I have a quick question. I currently have a K20d with a da 50-135 lens. I've got a wedding to photograph in October and need to make a decision. I'm thinking about picking up a companion to my 50-135 lens for my k20 but I'm thinking I might want to start saving for a new camera as well. I'm thinking about picking up a k-7 but I'm hearing fantasitic things about the Canon 7d. I'm thinking it might be time to switch systems but I wanted to get everyone's thinking about k-7 before I make any decisions.
You already invest on the Pentax system stick with Pentax.
However if money is not an issue buy both to compare..
Get a Kx instead for low light and the Tamron 17-50 or a 35/2
04-25-2010, 11:36 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Bad auto-focus? Try using a K10D for club photography as I do. These two photos were taken a month ago at a trance club with my trusty kitlens.
View Picture EXIF
Name:  IMGP4701.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  58.2 KB
View Picture EXIF
Name:  IMGP4787.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  78.5 KB
(The one with the DJ is very sharp but here it's over-processed to get a grunge feeling)
It's all about learning how to handle your camera, I've been shooting at clubs from time to time over a period of two years now and can say that the K10D performs better in low light than many think. Considering I use the kitlens, I'm guessing it will be even easier when I can afford the Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, getting a full stop better light performance most of the time.

If I can do well at a club with my K10D, I'm guessing very few people will have problems with say, a K-7 at a wedding.
04-26-2010, 12:19 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
Not to mention that with the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 on the Canon you don't have any image stabilization, but you will with the Pentax if you get it
Tamron released a new stabilized version of the 17-50 back in September 09 for Nikon mount. Not sure if they have made one for Canon yet.

To the OP, as for the 7D mated with a Tamron lens, wouldn't you be better off with a cheaper 40D/50D & some L-series glass?

Last edited by fractal; 04-26-2010 at 12:26 AM.
04-26-2010, 12:40 AM   #23

Photos: Albums
The K-7 is compact, compared to the huge 7D. The K-7 is also significantly cheaper.

That's the only advantage of the K-7, if compactness and price are a factor.

Other than that, the 7D is better in every way.

04-26-2010, 12:42 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StarDust Quote
Bad auto-focus? Try using a K10D for club photography as I do. These two photos were taken a month ago at a trance club with my trusty kitlens.
Attachment 60592 Attachment 60593
(The one with the DJ is very sharp but here it's over-processed to get a grunge feeling)
It's all about learning how to handle your camera, I've been shooting at clubs from time to time over a period of two years now and can say that the K10D performs better in low light than many think. Considering I use the kitlens, I'm guessing it will be even easier when I can afford the Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, getting a full stop better light performance most of the time.

If I can do well at a club with my K10D, I'm guessing very few people will have problems with say, a K-7 at a wedding.
Stardust,
Those pics may not be the best for the point you are trying to make. The pic with the DJ is at least EV 8 by my calculation if your EXIF is correct. That is not too dark. SAFOX doesn't start to slow down until about EV 6 or so which is about the darkness of an interior room. Also note that the DOF is very deep in that picture since you are at f/5.6. That is not very challenging for AF.
04-26-2010, 01:54 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

What does a youtube movie proof??? Nothing!

I wonder if that test was done right.
You cannot see the focus target etc..

My K-7 focuses a lot faster...

I've just done my own small unscientific test.

See here the results:

- Bert
04-26-2010, 02:46 AM   #26

There are a few reasons why I'm concidering switching. 1. There is a wider selection of lens for Canon. 2. I've noticed the exposure is much better with Canon. 3. Pentax has not produced a full frame camera yet. 4. Pentax flash units always seem to underexpose photos so I find myself having to a lot of post work.

These are just a few reasons.
1. This only matters if you need something that Pentax does not offer.
2. Exposure is much improved in K-7 compared to previous Pentaxes.
4. Exposure with flash unit is olso improved in K-7. K-7 does it very well.
04-26-2010, 02:52 AM   #27

I have a da* 50-135 2.8 lens I'm thinking about purchasing a Tamaron 17-55 2.8 lens as a companion but I don't want to invest the money if it's a better idea to start moving toward Canon. I'm trying to figure out what will work best for the future. I also have to do a wedding in October so I want to make sure I have the gear that will help me do the best job I can. Since I'm doing a wedding I need things like speed. I know that Pentax is slow as shown in this video.
This video proofs what the maker of video wants it to proof. Give me a Canon 7D and I make a similar video against Canon.

I also don't see need for very fast AF in weddings.

I think your K20D with fast lens will do weddings fine. It is more about your photography skills than limitations of your camera.
04-26-2010, 02:55 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

The most important thing with a camera's exposure (to me) is that it is consistent. I don't really care if it exposes a little dark or a little light as long as it always does the same. The K7 consistently underexposes about a stop and so when I shoot, I have +.3 EV compensation dialed in all of the time. At the same time, the K7 exposes brighter than the K20, where I was consistently at +.7 EV compensation. But, as I say, as long as the camera is consistent, you can work with it easily.

I personally will not get an upper end Canon (or Nikon for that matter) due to size. I do a lot of out doors hiking, etc and lugging along a 7D or D300s just would be way too much. However, a wedding is not usually a place where you would need super fast auto focus and I would think the K7 would be more than up to the challenge. I have shot a couple with the K20 and had no issues.
04-26-2010, 05:43 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
Stardust,
The pic with the DJ is at least EV 8 by my calculation if your EXIF is correct. That is not too dark....
....Also note that the DOF is very deep in that picture since you are at f/5.6. That is not very challenging for AF.
I'm not quite sure how you go about calculating EV's. I looked it up and found an equation that states: EV = log(index 2)N^2/t where N is the F number and t is the time in seconds.
This would probably give an accurate EV if I wasn't using a flash, but that photo is taken with a flash and would be extremely underexposed otherwise. As you can see, the wall on the other end is almost black, since the flash is bounced from an angle so that the wall is not well lit.
The other picture was taken at about EV 3 and I could focus so so, I remember the camera straining but finally getting there. It was slightly brighter where the DJ's were at, but not much so say about EV 4-6.
04-26-2010, 05:52 AM   #30
Site Supporter

Weather sealing is one of the major advantages that K-7 has over 7D.
(not significant for everybodyl)