Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2010, 03:02 PM   #76

QuoteOriginally posted by CWyatt Quote

I love the K-7 because it's just what I want for street stuff - small, non-intimidating, fast operation and single AF, good high ISO in RAW, very quiet shutter. In my opinion, it's the best DSLR for street photography. And then you have the limited lens line up. If I was shooting sports, I'd get the 7D and some USM zooms. But for street, the 7D is a big loud beast, and I don't like the ergonomics.
Hey,you are echoing exactly my sentiment. I have better save up for those limiteds. Another thing I prefer the k7 over the 7D is the shutter; both sound and pressurepoint. The Canon has a very springy sound atleast to my ear while my Pentax is silky smooth.

04-28-2010, 07:43 PM   #77
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
Jason,
That is not possible to use the EXACT same lens, unless the lens has a lens motor for both mounts.
There are quite a few lenses available for both that are *optically* the same though on all mounts. But while this is the most "fair" comparison, it's worth questioning if it's the most "revelant". After all, unless that third party lens is the one you plan to use, part of the equation really is the lenses. I'd personally rather see camera A with the lens I'd be likely to use on that camera, and camera B with the "similar" lens I'd be likely to use on it, even if they aren't the same lens. I might not be able to tell from such comparison how much of the difference I saw was camera and how much was lens, but I also might not *care*.
04-28-2010, 07:47 PM   #78
Veteran Member

Jason,
That is not possible to use the EXACT same lens, unless the lens has a lens motor for both mounts. Note that EOS cameras (which started in 1987) have never had a body motor for AF. There are no mechanical linkages between the body and lens. Therefore to compare the EXACT same lens, the lens for the K and EOS mounts would have to have a) lens driven aperture, and b) lens driven AF.
I said same lens model, not the same lens.

Jason
04-28-2010, 08:50 PM   #79
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ok, well how about Rebel-class tracking then? I would take that.

But still, you confuse tracking AF performance with low-light AF performance. This is a common point of misdirection regarding Pentax AF. They are two separate issues. In both, Pentax lags. The only people who wouldn't appreciate faster low-light AF, are people who MF. I am talking single shot here. Not tracking.
Gosh, I just upgraded from a K10D to a K-7, and the AF is so much better that I cannot imagine wanting more. I can focus in near darkness. I'm truly sorry that it does not meet your needs.

Rob

04-28-2010, 08:50 PM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
I said same lens model, not the same lens.

Jason
I understand what you meant. What I am saying is that you wont be able to do the test you propose since there is no lens model for both mounts where you have the AF and aperture motors in the lens.
04-29-2010, 04:24 AM   #81
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
There are quite a few lenses available for both that are *optically* the same though on all mounts. But while this is the most "fair" comparison, it's worth questioning if it's the most "revelant". After all, unless that third party lens is the one you plan to use, part of the equation really is the lenses. I'd personally rather see camera A with the lens I'd be likely to use on that camera, and camera B with the "similar" lens I'd be likely to use on it, even if they aren't the same lens. I might not be able to tell from such comparison how much of the difference I saw was camera and how much was lens, but I also might not *care*.
I agree, Marc, the question is one of what you can afford/ would actually buy. It is great that the L lenses are very fast to auto focus, but if I wouldn't buy one anyway and would actually buy a Sigma or Tamron due to cost, then the comparison is wasted. No one posts a comparison of the DA 40 to say the Canon 50 f1.2 L, I imagine because the 50 looks pretty slow in comparison. You can make any camera look bad if you do the testing correctly.

I think the other problem is that the speed at which the focus motors work is actually a small part of the equation. If there is a problem with Pentax, it is not that the motor is too slow, but that it takes so long to lock focus. I do think the K7 is better and that it tracks better than cameras in the past, but it is still a weakness in Pentax bodies that they stumble in lower light and slow way down when if AF -C.
05-11-2010, 11:08 AM   #82

Just personal experience here:

I shoot K-7 w/ the ext flash unit AF360 and I've acted as the main photographer at weddings along side 5d and 7d photographer friends. If I were to do wedding all the time I'd go w/ something like 7D for:

1) lens selection, specifically zooms - e.g. 70-200mm f/4
2) high ISO perf
3) focus
4) flash and other accessories

I do wedding only occasionally, but IMO it's not the better system of the two. In general however, nothing replaces my K-7.

Shawn
05-13-2010, 02:12 PM   #83

Photos: Albums
if you want take a wedding foto :

first you dont need telezoom untill 135 mm, where is the wedding location ?? at football field ??
you need wide lens , 10-24 or what so ever.
the wedding is always crowded with "group" of people, so make sure ur lens wide enough to take everybody face, include the bride ...

second you need a portrait lens : make sure the bride and the father in law has a good ekspression , so you can catch every single ekspression that happen during the wedding process. DA 70mm limited will be fine .

and third . you need a set of Blitz, like silver umbrella and high P-TTL blitz, it would be nice if you have set of trigger Blitz so you can take a good picture at the altar and so ever ...
basicly all you need is that and K-7 is more...more than enough to fullfil this demand... just take your gear ,,as you needed it, not speak about how fast AF , people dont move so fast in a wedding ...trust me ,,,,
this is wedding ceremony not a ice hockey competition

good luck then ,,,

Last edited by ewig; 05-13-2010 at 02:35 PM.