Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2010, 01:52 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
IS broken?

I haven't been taking too many shots lately, but today the weather was perfect I grabbed my camera only to find out it's somehow broken.

When I turn on the camera (K20D) it makes a weird rattling sound. And no, it's not the normal dust removal sound. And when I take a shot it makes a weird rattle again. "Flop-flapflap-click". And after removing the lens I actually see that sensor is "jumping" up and down when I shoot. Putting the camera on live-view I can see the "jumping" effect more clearly, especially with the IS off.

Anyone had the same experience?

04-25-2010, 03:58 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sealisthenewbeaver Quote
I haven't been taking too many shots lately, but today the weather was perfect I grabbed my camera only to find out it's somehow broken.

When I turn on the camera (K20D) it makes a weird rattling sound. And no, it's not the normal dust removal sound. And when I take a shot it makes a weird rattle again. "Flop-flapflap-click". And after removing the lens I actually see that sensor is "jumping" up and down when I shoot. Putting the camera on live-view I can see the "jumping" effect more clearly, especially with the IS off.

Anyone had the same experience?
That's a new one on me.. What do the photos actually look like? Hope you can get it sorted without a trip to the service center.

04-26-2010, 03:31 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
The photos are not as bad as one would presume from the jumping. Well, definitely not good by any means, but not as horrible as you would expect.

Anyone having idea on how much repairing the IS/SR unit would cost?
04-26-2010, 03:52 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Maybe try another set of fully charged batteries and reset the camera, see if it helps.

04-26-2010, 04:27 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Doesn't help.

Well, I can't understand how that could have worked... The problem seems to be purely mechanical as everything else works as it should.
04-26-2010, 10:41 AM   #6
Inactive Account

The photos are not as bad as one would presume from the jumping. Well, definitely not good by any means, but not as horrible as you would expect.

Anyone having idea on how much repairing the IS/SR unit would cost?
Probably close to the amount of replacing the camera. I would be willing to wager that the sensor and the IS are all one mechanism, if this in fact is a Mechanical problem, and would probably have to be replaced as such. It is also possible that the circuit driving the IS has gone south. The only way you'll find out for sure is to send it in for a service estimate. You could probably write Pentax service and ask for a worse case estimate.

Doesn't help.

Well, I can't understand how that could have worked... The problem seems to be purely mechanical as everything else works as it should.
It never hurts to try a fresh battery or set of batteries. Marginally weak batteries can sometimes produce strange effects. It likely takes more power to operate the IS system than a simple electronic circuit. I can't say I've ever read a report of fresh batteries Solving problems but it is still cheap to try and certainly can't hurt.

04-27-2010, 02:23 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Probably close to the amount of replacing the camera. I would be willing to wager that the sensor and the IS are all one mechanism, if this in fact is a Mechanical problem, and would probably have to be replaced as such. It is also possible that the circuit driving the IS has gone south. The only way you'll find out for sure is to send it in for a service estimate. You could probably write Pentax service and ask for a worse case estimate.
Yeah, the SR is sensor based, right? So my guess would be too that it will be the whole sensor-unit repaired. And replacing it will cost easily more than a new camera.

I just send an email to the service, so we'll see what they say.

And I took a short videos to demonstrate the problem to the insurance company and to the Pentax community. I'll post a link to it here when I manage to put it to Vimeo or to some other videohosting service.

The whole mess is still somehow f****n hilarious: sounds like there's a crappy old two-strike engine inside the camera... Potpotpotpotpotpotpotpot... poootpotpotpotpot...

04-29-2010, 05:34 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
The videos:

pw: rikkipentax

Weird, huh?
04-29-2010, 06:43 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Wow, I have never seen this before! This is clearly a problem with the camera's shake reduction system and you are definitely going to have to send that in to be repaired. Personally, I feel Pentax should fix this one free of charge as the camera does not look to be beat on and the K20D is not that old either.
04-29-2010, 12:18 PM   #10
Inactive Account

That was painful to watch... I would send it in and see what the cost of repair is. Then make a decision as to what to do. I assume it is doing this whether SR is turned on or not, Correct?

04-29-2010, 12:56 PM   #11
Banned

I'm betting it will cost more than the value of the camera.

IF that is the case then give it a good WHACK with your hand and hope for the best;-)
04-30-2010, 12:51 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VaughnA Quote
I'm betting it will cost more than the value of the camera.

IF that is the case then give it a good WHACK with your hand and hope for the best;-)
That was the first thing I did after realizing it's not a minor problem...

If the SR is turned off, the shaking/rattling isn't as bad, but the pictures still turn out blurry.

Does anyone know how the SR-system really works? Is the sensor "floating" or something? Hmmmm... Maybe I should just rip my broken K10D into pieces and see.
08-14-2010, 02:09 PM   #13

K20D fell of my table, now low battery indicator and shuts down...

That was the first thing I did after realizing it's not a minor problem...

If the SR is turned off, the shaking/rattling isn't as bad, but the pictures still turn out blurry.

Does anyone know how the SR-system really works? Is the sensor "floating" or something? Hmmmm... Maybe I should just rip my broken K10D into pieces and see.
I have read your post about your dead K10D...
I have this same issue with my K20D since it fell of the table
Nothing seems to be broken from outside and the camera only reports low battery and immediately shuts down.
Did you get yours fixed? What was the problem?
08-16-2010, 10:30 AM   #14
Veteran Member

The videos:

pw: rikkipentax

Weird, huh?
It hurts to see the video. Good luck with the repairs. Please keep us posted with the outcome/fixed.
08-16-2010, 12:21 PM   #15
Inactive Account

I can say I know of problem like this one and solution. Mostry 1 of 2 things causing.
SR mechanism driven by many magnet that is very strong. Sometime USB connector pushed too hard and become loose from circuit. Since it metal it become wedged in SR from magnet. This result in SR mechanism become blocked and do not stop moving. Also, sometime screw from inside become loose and cause same problem. Most time can repair and not replace SR/sensor.