Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2010, 04:08 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax K-x etcetera

Hi, all. I've been away from this forum for almost 3 years but I'm back again.
For those who don't remember me my name is freddy.
Can anyone who uses a K-X compare it to the K100D that I currently use.
I'm thinking that if K100D conks out I will have to replace it. Living on a fixed
income I can't afford more than a K-x.
Another question: How do I tell how many times I clicked the shutter during
the life of my K100D.
Mostly I shoot flowers in macro. I prefer my Sigma 50mm EX 2.8, but I also sometimes use my Pentax 40mm 2.8 ltd, also a very fine and sharp lens.
I don't use zooms anymore because I feel I can get better quality and better
low light capability from primes. I do use the 40mm for family pictures because it works well in low light. Any comments will be appreciated re the
comparison. Regards, Freddy

04-25-2010, 04:55 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Welcome back to the Forum.

For the shutter count, the freeware http://www.photome.de/ is the best tool. It shows the actual camera shutter count from the photoME under "Camera" / "Shutter count".

Hope that the info will help...
04-25-2010, 09:40 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
you'll never go wrong with a Kx,.
Im loving mine!!
04-25-2010, 10:50 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Welcome back, Freddy. Nice to see your Avatar photo up there again.
3 Years???? How time flies, I would never have thought it was that long.

04-26-2010, 03:27 AM   #5
Ira
Inactive Account

Hey, Freddy. I'm loving the K-x, and it's low-light performance is going to bring you into a whole new dimension of what you can do. It seriously is that big a breakthrough.

By the way--former Canarsie boy here!
04-26-2010, 04:44 AM   #6
Inactive Account

I can do some comparisons for you to a K 200, but sorry, not the K 100.

The KX is about 75 to 80% as big as the K 200. So it is a small camera. Its not as noticeable because Pentax put a nice hand grip on the KX which makes it comfortable and solid to hold.

Build is a bit plastiky. It doesn't have that rugged feel the K 200 or K 20 have. This could be due to the light weight, but I think it has more to do with the housing.

All the buttons are nicely spaced, much like the K 200 although they are all on the right side now. The live view button is right above the Info button and I've found myself hitting it now and then instead of info.

A good variety of camera controls are accessible from the Info screen if you push it twice. I personally like this feature. Another feature I like on the KX Info screen is that there is an exposure compensation read out on the info screen that is quite large. As a matter of fact, at normal display, all of the readouts on the info screen are nice and big, but not too big. Perfect for those of us whose arms are getting too short if you know what I mean.

One feature you may like is the ability to turn the AF AE-l button into a focus button, so the shutter only takes the photo. On the K200, you can do this with the OK button, but I have always found it to be a bit too small for my hands. The AF AE-L button is a stand alone button so you wont be pushing anything else to focus.

I think it is a well laid out camera, with a nice assortment of bells and whistles.

You will find that the shutter is very loud, and sounds toy like. It does not have a good mechanical sound to it at all. Even going into live mode gives the same sound. You can fire off a bunch of photos pretty fast, and that will be one big difference between the K100 and he KX.

The view finder is comparable to my K 200. There are no focus indicators, but I have not found this to be a huge problem for the way I use the camera. For sone it might. Choosing a focus spot is pretty simple and easily accessible from the Info button however.

Focus lock however is very touchy with longer lens hand held in AF S mode. I find it very hard to lock on with anything over 300mm hand held. It is more pronounced than with the K200 and K 20.

Yes the High ISO capability is very nice. I bought this camera to match up to my Sigma 150-500 which starts out at F 5 and goes up to F 6.3 minimum aperture at 500mm. I wanted to be able to use the lens stopped down to at least F 7.1 or F 8 and maintain a shutter speed of at least 1/400 and preferably 1/500 or higher. Adjusting ISO is fast and easy, with fewer button pushes than on the K 200, and it has a very good read out on the info screen when you are making your choice. The one thing I found missing was the focal length readout that the K 200 has. If I adjust the Sigma down from 500, the K 200 will show me what focal length I am at on the info screen. I have not found a way to get this information on the KX.

So far, the High ISO performance has been very nice but the camera matched up to the Sigma 150 500 is a mixed blessing. The shutter is just too loud for wildlife photography in my view. Also, the camera sort of disappears on the back of the lens. It really is a small camera.

I think if you are going to use standard 50 and 100 mm macro lens for macro photography the camera will perform very well for you. The shutter sound probably wont disturb your subjects and you will like being able to bump the ISO up to get a faster shutter speed with smaller apertures.

In conclusion, he KX is a perfect consumer camera. It is small, light, and has a very good read out and the accessibility to the most important controls is right at your fingertips and hey are large enough to not be intimidating to new comers, and much appreciated by those of us with failing eye sight. If will give people the capability to take snapshots in low light and get good results.

But it is not a semi pro camera by any means. Or even close. It has a good senosor, good read outs, but it ends there. Build quality and shutter noise and lack of focus indicator points reveal it's true reason for existing.

However, in high ISO capability, it is currently all Pentax has to offer and for those wanting higher ISO capability outside of the realm of taking snap shots at the family reunion, it is a compromise.

All in all, a nice camera, which will be a nice step up from the K100. I think for what you say you will do with it, you will enjoy it very much. If Pentax comes out with an upgraded K7 or K 200 with high ISO capability, I will sell my KX and go with one of them. So if your K100 conks our, keep me in mind. I might have one for sale.

Last edited by Al_in_the_Shire; 04-26-2010 at 04:49 AM.
04-26-2010, 05:57 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Welcome back, Freddy!

Keep and enjoy K100 as much as you can. It's a very friendly camera. KX is also nice, but why to change K100 before its break down? Maybe the next one will be better than KX. It's natural!

BR!
04-26-2010, 07:51 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fevbusch Quote
Hi, all. I've been away from this forum for almost 3 years but I'm back again.
For those who don't remember me my name is freddy.
Can anyone who uses a K-X compare it to the K100D that I currently use.
I'm thinking that if K100D conks out I will have to replace it. Living on a fixed
income I can't afford more than a K-x.
Another question: How do I tell how many times I clicked the shutter during
the life of my K100D.
Mostly I shoot flowers in macro. I prefer my Sigma 50mm EX 2.8, but I also sometimes use my Pentax 40mm 2.8 ltd, also a very fine and sharp lens.
I don't use zooms anymore because I feel I can get better quality and better
low light capability from primes. I do use the 40mm for family pictures because it works well in low light. Any comments will be appreciated re the
comparison. Regards, Freddy
The K-x is a great cam. I am a K7 owner and i bought the White K-x on impulse when I brought a friend to buy his red coloured version. Have to say that the pics at high ISO are very impressive. Even at normal ISO (I shoot mostly at 400).

04-27-2010, 11:35 AM   #9

Hey all. I'm new here. My English is poor. I have the K100D, and K- X.
stabilizer is worse than K100D camera. K100D stabilizer is 1.5 to 2 stops better than K-X. My test 500mm lens.
Sincerely, Jouko
04-27-2010, 12:34 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I suspect if you repeated your test with shorter focal lengths, you'd probably get different results.