Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2010, 09:21 PM   #1

Is the battery Indicator problem resolved in K-x after ver1.01 ?

Hi Guys,

I got a K-x and I took 1495 shots with the Batteries provided in the box ( 4 AA Energizer Lithium Batteries). This was with About 600 Snaps taken with flash
So, the Snaps count is Amazing. The K-x proved that they could take a whooping more shots with the lithium batteries than the advertised 1100 in dpreview.

But I have one problem. I still feel that the battery Indicator problem is not resolved. I got a new pair of LIon batteries after my original ones depleted. But after I fired few shots using my remote control. I saw the Battery Indicator showing Orange ( Which was just my 4th Snap after new batteries). But when I turned off and On, they are now green.

So, is the Battery Indicator problem resolved??Is there any one else facing this problem?.I am quite concerned Since I am already in ver1.01. Please help solve my prob.

Thanks
Srinivas

04-25-2010, 11:11 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The battery level indication is still not perfect but good enough.

I find that after putting in a new set of batteries, I need to leave the camera a couple of minutes before turning on and then the indicator correctly indicates full. I think it takes a while to recognise new batteries.

Also sometimes when using Live View I find the battery status turns orange too early (comes right after being out of LV for a while.
04-26-2010, 03:24 AM   #3
Ira
Inactive Account

Happens to me too, and I don't sweat it.
04-26-2010, 11:20 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
battery indicator problem

We should start a club - I have the same problem - new Energizer Lithiums and a couple of shots down the line the meter turned orange. Switched camera off and back on and back to full green, where it has stayed for a long time. The Lithium batteries are the way to go with this camera but are very expensive in the long run

Also have orange readings with NiMH LSD batteries - they run like this - 30 - 40 shots green, 150 shots orange and about 50 shots red, then really empty. So far have not achieved even 300 shots with NiMH (2150 mah batteries) but only on second charge cycle so far - I've read one needs about 4 charge cycles to get full capacity out of them.

Best life span so far has been with Energizer 2450 nah batteries - not the LSD type. Got nearly 300 shots with them, mostly on the orange meter reading.

I've installed the latest v...10 silent f/w update but see no change in battery metering.

For practical purposes, you need to count your shots so that you don't run out of juice at an unexpected moment.

04-26-2010, 11:24 AM   #5
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jlaubza Quote
The Lithium batteries are the way to go with this camera but are very expensive in the long run
When you use manual lenses and no flash, they last forever.
04-27-2010, 04:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Just use the eneloop rechargeables or some other "hybrid" rechargeable batteries.
Here's the link: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/92821-battery-k-x-...-take-aas.html
04-27-2010, 04:44 PM   #7

Same thing here. My battery indicator seemed to be much more accurate before the update. Now it's always yellow unless it was just turned off and on, like yours.

04-29-2010, 07:54 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I had some problems and re-checked the batteries in a La Crosse charger - three were fine (1.3V or so) and the fourth was 0.9V. They all appeared to charge properly (LCD = Full) the last time 'round and had been conditioned two charges prior.

I'm assuming a single bad cell and will now carefully check each to see if they're discharging at about the same rate.
04-30-2010, 06:56 PM   #9

same here
with lithium and eneloop
05-03-2010, 07:58 AM   #10
Veteran Member

As I thought about, it became clear that the charger may have a defect at the site for one of the four cells. Now I want to rummage around and see if I can find the "bad" Eneloop.

OTOH, I did have the same experience with an Energizer lithium a month or so ago and tracked it down via the charger and got a second opinion from a cheap battery tester. Both meteres showed a badly-discharged Energizer.

Is there any way that the camera or flash can stress just one of the four batteries??
05-03-2010, 10:29 AM   #11

battery rubbish

The QC on rechargeable dry cell manufacture must be amongst the worst in the world. Over time, I've read about many other people who have had dud cells amongst a batch. Even with non rechargeable types, they will tend to read different voltages after some use.

However, cells are apparently damaged if dropped so watch out for that. They have a center electrode which could be cracked. That will immediately reduce the capacity and operating life.