Weird sunlight reflection

Pic taken w/ K-x and 50mm FA 1.4.

EXIF data:

RAW
F/1.8
1/4000 sec
ISO 100

This occurred with many pictures during the same photoshoot:

The front fender color is way off. The sun was extremely strong, how could I avoid this? Underexpose and then correct in Lightroom?

Some will notice the aggressive settings (hard contrast, hard sharpness) but the front fender was as weird before the RAW manipulations.

Thanks!

04-26-2010, 06:22 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Reflections. I'm not seeing anything unusual.
04-26-2010, 06:27 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Perhaps use a CPL filter?
04-26-2010, 06:33 AM   #4

Original Poster
Comparing with this shot, the colors are much more natural / less clipped or "as we actually see them".

Am I too picky?

04-26-2010, 07:06 AM   #5

Original Poster
Here's a more extreme example:

I had to alter the washed out section in Photoshop because it was too awful. Too much sunlight?
04-26-2010, 07:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I too am not sure what you're you're talking about. A scene like that would have bright reflections, and that's exactly what the photos show. Or are you saying the car was *not* in fact bright blue, or that the sun was *not* actually reflecting off it? I do see what appears to be some JPEG posteriation artifacts ("banding" of colors, rather than smooth transitions) in the top photo, maybe that's what you are referring to? And of course the fact that you shot f/1.8 means nothing is in focus on the front of the car.
04-26-2010, 07:29 AM   #7

Your assumption is correct. Direct sunlight is one of the most difficult type of lighting to tame. Especially when the subject is a freshly waxed coat of metallic flakes paint! You can trying using reflectors to try to even-out the very directional lighting and also use a polarizing filter, as holance suggests. Unfortunately, there is no miracle cure here. actually, your shots are not bad at all.

Nice ride BTW.

xGene

04-26-2010, 07:43 AM   #8
Ira
Inactive Account

First shot:

1/4000 at ISO 100?
04-26-2010, 07:52 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
First shot:

1/4000 at ISO 100?
I think the OP wanted to put the emphasis on the Foose wheels...
04-26-2010, 07:54 AM   #10
Pentaxian

The sunlight reflecting off paint jobs at a car show are enough to hurt your eyes and make you turn away at times so don't expect your camera to be able to remove it. I wouldn't have used those settings for shooting at an outside car show on a sunny day. Stopping the lens down a little more would have improved the shots. Moving your position just a few inches can change the reflections and the color appearance of the paint. I always take a lot of shots at car shows because there is reflected light coming from everywhere. It's not an easy place to shoot.
05-04-2010, 08:36 AM   #11

Original Poster
I finally found the cause of this weird reflection. By mistake, my K-x was set to JPEG at settings that caused over saturation and other undesirable effects.

I took some RAW shots of a very similar car under the exact same conditions with much better results. That's the kind of expectations that I was describing in my initial post.

I know the EXIF data is very different, but even trying at different settings the undesired effect was still present during shooting #1.