Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2010, 01:24 PM   #1
simplesyrup

Kx Kit or Body only

First post, really great forum I have learned so much, I am going to pick up a Kx at Adorama should I get the kit with the 300mm or just the body and some better lenses. Im new to DSLR and this will be my first. I was going to get the Canon 550d but i think I should invest in some better glass. Thanks for all your input.

04-26-2010, 02:36 PM   #2

If you check the prices you will see that "body only" costs more than body + 18-55 lens, so definitely don't go for body only. I think most people would recommend getting the 18-55 + 55-300 kit. 55-300 is a very good lens and you will get it as cheap as you can by buying it with the body.
04-26-2010, 02:59 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I definitely recommend the kit with the 55 - 300mm. I really like the 55-300 lense and I'm getting very good quality shots out of it. Most people also like the 18-55mm lense (see the reviews) also.

Reviews: Pentax Lens Review and Specification Database - DA L Series Zooms
04-26-2010, 03:55 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't recommend getting the 18-55 kit lens, which is over-rated. Other than the 55-200 and the 18-250, it is the least inspired piece of glass in Pentax's DA lineup. It is only mildly sharp in the center, and is egregiuosly soft toward the borders. It also suffers from all kinds of annoying CA problems. It simply cannot match up to the glories of the higher end Pentax glass. The lens is the most important determinant in the image quality of your photographs. If you want to develop your talent as photographer, you don't want to be held back by the mediocrity of your lenses.

As for the 55-300, perhaps the kit is worth it if that's the lens you have your heart on. I have no first hand experience with the lens, so I can't really comment on it. Pentax does produce better lenses in that focal range (e.g., the 60-250, the 200 and 300 primes) but those lenses are much more expensive.

04-26-2010, 04:41 PM   #5
simplesyrup

554. for the body only and 689. for the kit with the DA L 18-55mm & 55-300mm Lenses. Am I better off spending the 135. on glass that I would use? If I get the kit what other glass should I look at?
04-26-2010, 04:42 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
I definitely recommend the kit with the 55 - 300mm. I really like the 55-300 lense and I'm getting very good quality shots out of it. Most people also like the 18-55mm lense (see the reviews) also.

Reviews: Pentax Lens Review and Specification Database - DA L Series Zooms
I to have the K-x kit with the above and it takes excellent pictures I have been very happy with my purchase.
04-26-2010, 05:22 PM   #7

check out the photos taken with the kit lenses at pentax photo gallery. there are some very good photos. does not mean all photos will match that quality - i believe there's a theory floating around that the photographer plays some role in that regard - but it's a substantiation that the kit lenses are pretty good value for the money. someone also pointed out a long time ago that if you ever want to sell your camera later, the fact that it comes with a lens included may make it more marketable.
04-26-2010, 05:23 PM   #8
Inactive Account

The DA 55-300 is a lens tailor made for the KX. Stopped down a bit, somewhere around F8 to F 11, and pulled back a bit from 300, it is very sharp. In the past, I referred to it as my sunny day lens. With the KX and the ability to shoot higher ISOs, and therefore stop the lens down and keep the shutter speeds up, you have a very nice piece of glass. I don't think you will find a better consumer zoom in that range.

I agree that the 18 55 might not be the greatest lens out there, and you might want to try and get something better, but the 55-300 for an extra 140 bucks is a very good deal.

This is just one more thing I like about my KX. It has turned a piece of glass that had limited use for me into something I can use much more. If I had not already had a 55-300, I would have bought the kit as well. I think I got mine off Amazon for 360 or so, so for what they are selling the KX with the 2 lens, you can't go wrong.

04-26-2010, 07:01 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Go for the Kit with the 18-55 and 55-300 as the rest have advised.
04-27-2010, 04:22 PM   #10
Veteran Member

It would be nice to learn with the kit lenses and if you find that it is lacking in your preferred shooting, then you can always sell them.
With the DA L 55-300mm..it is actually easy to sell since it is a fine lens.
04-27-2010, 05:37 PM   #11
Veteran Member

W/ 55-300mm definately. I bought a Kx with only the 18-55 thinking I could find a 300mm lens for cheap. I did find one for cheap (tamron 70-300) but now I have buyers remorse because the pentax 55-300 is a better lens than the Tamron.
04-28-2010, 06:47 AM   #12

Photos: Albums
I kick myself for not getting the kit with the 55-300. Get the kit. Although I do like the white, I'd rather a black one with the 55-300 kit.

I'm saving up for a 55-300 now.
04-28-2010, 11:28 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
I don't recommend getting the 18-55 kit lens, which is over-rated. Other than the 55-200 and the 18-250, it is the least inspired piece of glass in Pentax's DA lineup. It is only mildly sharp in the center, and is egregiuosly soft toward the borders. It also suffers from all kinds of annoying CA problems. It simply cannot match up to the glories of the higher end Pentax glass.
This is true in one sense, but that's like criticizing a Honda Accord for not being a Ferrari. Doesn't mean the Accord still isn't one of the best basic vehicles out there for many people's purposes. I'd wager 90% of photographers would be perfectly satisfied with the 18-55, and the many pictures posted to the Kit Lens Club thread in the SLR Lens forum bears this out. You obviously are part of the minority with higher standards and presumably a much higher budget to match, but there's no reason to assume the OP - a self-described newcomer to DSLR's - wouldn't part of the majority who are perfectly satisfied by quality of the kit lens.

To the OP, best way I can see to answer the question for yourself is to check out that Kit Lens Club thread. if *every single one* of the pictures strikes you as unsatisfactory, then that would be good evidence the lens wouldn't meet your standards. Then you could check out the *other* lens club threads to see what alternatives you might prefer. But if any images at all strike you as acceptable, that's evidence the lens is capable - in the right hands - of delivering results you like. EDIT: OK, I admit there is more to it than that. might turn out that all wide angle pictures you find acceptable, but not the longer focal lengths. Or pictures at f/8 are fine to your eyes, but not at f/4. Anyhow, only you can decide what's good enough for you. I maintain the majority of newcomers to DSLR would find the 18-55 adequate (and I note the one person putting the kit lens down is presumably *not* a newcomer as he appears to have pretty extensive experience comparing lenses, so it stands to reason his standards might be more exacting than yours). But yes, of course, spending a lot more money gives you better results. Whether it's worth it to you is something only you can decide, by looking at actual images.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 04-28-2010 at 11:38 AM.
04-28-2010, 12:07 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by simplesyrup Quote
First post, really great forum I have learned so much, I am going to pick up a Kx at Adorama should I get the kit with the 300mm or just the body and some better lenses. Im new to DSLR and this will be my first. I was going to get the Canon 550d but i think I should invest in some better glass. Thanks for all your input.
I got the 18-55 & 50-200 kit and I would recommend (if you want more focal length) going for the 55-300 kit. Conversley if you are going to be shooting a lot of outdoors "catch the moment" opportunity shots. It is definitely worth looking for some versatile glass in the form of an 18-250mm zoom. I'm finding that sometimes, something great will appear just begging to be caught on film and I have an inapropriate lens on and I lose my chance while I'm busy switching lenses. A couple of days ago I missed a chance to catch a pair of fish eagles mating in flight cause I was busy shooting wide angle. grrr. With an 18-250, I could have just zoomed in and caught a great shot. Next thing on my shopping list for sure.

Last edited by Andycan; 04-28-2010 at 12:14 PM. Reason: poor spelling