Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2010, 03:22 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Do I need to use CPL filter for Prime lens?

Hello

I've a K-x with dual kit lens (18-55 & 50-200). I see myself a need to get a CPL filter because of its amazing property to see into water, darken blue skies, remove reflection. Cost is a factor for me. I don't want to invest on a CPL that is too $x and good that a kit lens cannot show its quality.

I see myself owning a good prime lens particularly the smc PENTAX FA 50mm F1.4 Lens which is 49mm in the future. So I can get the 52mm CPL for kit lens and then buy a step down ring to use for this prime lens.

BUT im concern of buying a low-mid grade CPL that will mask the sharpness and clarity of a prime lens. I would like to know does people use a CPL on prime lens like 50mm F1.4? To me CPL seems to be used more on landscape, beach and water where prime lens is rarely use. If true, I can just a ahead and buy a budget CPL for kit lens and forget abt prime lens

This is a dilemma.

04-27-2010, 03:38 AM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A good CPL on a good prime is the BEST thing you can do. Won't hurt at all.
04-27-2010, 03:41 AM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by learnphotography Quote
Hello

I've a K-x with dual kit lens (18-55 & 50-200). I see myself a need to get a CPL filter because of its amazing property to see into water, darken blue skies, remove reflection. Cost is a factor for me. I don't want to invest on a CPL that is too $x and good that a kit lens cannot show its quality.

I see myself owning a good prime lens particularly the smc PENTAX FA 50mm F1.4 Lens which is 49mm in the future. So I can get the 52mm CPL for kit lens and then buy a step down ring to use for this prime lens.

BUT im concern of buying a low-mid grade CPL that will mask the sharpness and clarity of a prime lens. I would like to know does people use a CPL on prime lens like 50mm F1.4? To me CPL seems to be used more on landscape, beach and water where prime lens is rarely use. If true, I can just a ahead and buy a budget CPL for kit lens and forget abt prime lens

This is a dilemma.
The CPL filter is not placed on the lens as a permanent fixture. After using you remove it from the lens. That way, you only need one piece of 49mm, and/or 52mm whichever is your most used lens that requires the CPL filter.

So let us say your kit lens is 52mm, and your future prime is 49mm, Get one 52mm CPL filter and then get a step down ring 52-49 and you can use the CPL on your prime lens.
04-27-2010, 03:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Heres an article that covers a bunch of filters. It has tests tor UV filters also.
Lenstips.com

I personally use Marumi CPLs and Hoya HMC UV filters. Both scored first place and are decently priced. I think I paid around $25.00 for my 49mm CPL
And heres a dealer for purchase.
WestCoastCameras.com

EDIT: OOps, I just noticed your from Singapore. They are probably much more popular there so easy to find.

Last edited by OrenMc; 04-27-2010 at 03:49 AM.
04-27-2010, 03:52 AM   #5
Site Supporter

I actually seldom use CPLs unless there is a specific effect that I am trying for. At the same time, particularly for a 49mm diameter, you shouldn't have to pay for an arm or a leg. Now, on the other hand, if you get a zoom with a bigger diameter and want one for that, it could run into serious money.
04-27-2010, 04:04 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi ppl, thanks for all the feedbacks. Im on tight budget as i'm still serving e army.
My next lens would be smc PENTAX FA 50mm F1.4. It seems like quite an old lens and at any time, its going to be out of production? That way, i need to seek for alternative lens and that may need larger diameter and my CPL is a pity to use only on kit lens.
sry for me being indecisive!
04-27-2010, 04:07 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Hi ppl, thanks for all the feedbacks. Im on tight budget as i'm still serving e army.
My next lens would be smc PENTAX FA 50mm F1.4. It seems like quite an old lens and at any time, its going to be out of production? That way, i need to seek for alternative lens and that may need larger diameter and my CPL is a pity to use only on kit lens.
sry for me being indecisive!
The current FA50mm F1.4 should be around for some time still. The other alternative would be the FA43mm F1.9 Limited but will cost you an arm and a leg and/or your soul . . .
04-27-2010, 04:18 AM   #8
Veteran Member

If you don't mind manual focusing I would recommend Voigtland Nokton 58mm 1.4. An absolutely superb lens and around the same price as the FA 50 unless you find a used one that will be quite a bit better budget.

04-27-2010, 04:23 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by felixkh Quote
The current FA50mm F1.4 should be around for some time still. The other alternative would be the FA43mm F1.9 Limited but will cost you an arm and a leg and/or your soul . . .
icic, good tt it will still be around. I dont want to get DA* 55mm 1.4 as its too $X!
04-27-2010, 05:52 AM   #10
Site Supporter

icic, good tt it will still be around. I dont want to get DA* 55mm 1.4 as its too $X!
FA43mm F1.9 Limited is still cheaper than the DA*55mm F1.4 hehehee
04-27-2010, 08:33 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I second that the CPL is a very useful filter. Get the best you can afford for the 52mm and get a thin step down filter 52-49mm. As other member said, CPL is meant to be used when needed.
04-27-2010, 09:06 AM   #12
Pentaxian

You might be able to find a high quality linear polarizer for less money than a decent circular polarizer.
If this turns out to be true, then consider getting the linear polarizer instead.
Pentax cameras (except the LX) are very forgiving regarding linear polarizers.
04-27-2010, 11:02 AM   #13
xjx
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by felixkh Quote
The CPL filter is not placed on the lens as a permanent fixture. After using you remove it from the lens. That way, you only need one piece of 49mm, and/or 52mm whichever is your most used lens that requires the CPL filter.

So let us say your kit lens is 52mm, and your future prime is 49mm, Get one 52mm CPL filter and then get a step down ring 52-49 and you can use the CPL on your prime lens.
I believe a step-up ring is needed here instead of a step-down.
04-27-2010, 11:20 AM   #14
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by xjx Quote
I believe a step-up ring is needed here instead of a step-down.
Yeah, you'd want a step up 49 to 52
04-27-2010, 01:23 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you don't want to buy a bunch of CPLs, think in advance of the largest one that you may want to use - in case you are already planning on getting other lenses. Then just use that CPL on all your cameras via step-up adapter rings. It will be more expensive now but cheaper in the long run.

And no, you shouldn't worry about decrease in IQ. You will lose a stop of light usually, so you shouldn't keep the CPL on if you don't need it.