Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2010, 11:22 AM   #1

K7 lust

Hi all,
I am a proud K20D owner but have started lusting for a K7. Do you think I should get one or should I wait for a new model, which will surely be out this year. I though if it is not too different from the K7 then I can get it because the price would drop considerably. What do you think?

04-27-2010, 11:33 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I personally think the upgrade from K20D to K7 is not worth the extra cost.
04-27-2010, 11:38 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Naim Khan Quote
Hi all,
I am a proud K20D owner but have started lusting for a K7. Do you think I should get one or should I wait for a new model, which will surely be out this year. I though if it is not too different from the K7 then I can get it because the price would drop considerably. What do you think?
What are you missing that causes you to Lust after the K7? I'll admit that a couple months after I bought My K7, I sold my practially new K20d because it just sat. Especially after I added the Grip to the K7. I don't worry about impending, unannounced, future releases. I would have NEVER bought a camera to begin with if I did.

04-27-2010, 11:53 AM   #4
Ari
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Worth it. Buying mine this week!

04-27-2010, 11:55 AM   #5
Pentaxian

The K7 brings somewhat higher performance to the table. Frame rate is up, and AF speed is up.
What this means is that the K7 is a more responsive camera than the K20.
People report that noise levels are improved on the K7, others say that the k20 is better.
For me, it's a wash. I haven't seen enough difference in my pictures to say one way or the other.
The K7 is definitely somewhat smaller, and does have nicer ergonomics, which is quite incredible, as the K20 was darned near perfect.

If the increased responsiveness isn't important to your photography, probably stay with the K20 for a while yet, at least until we see what Pentax has in the works.
For me, the K7 was a very nice upgrade because of the improvements it brought, just be aware that improvements in image quality is not one of them.
04-27-2010, 12:20 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The K7 brings somewhat higher performance to the table. Frame rate is up, and AF speed is up.
What this means is that the K7 is a more responsive camera than the K20.
People report that noise levels are improved on the K7, others say that the k20 is better.
For me, it's a wash. I haven't seen enough difference in my pictures to say one way or the other.
The K7 is definitely somewhat smaller, and does have nicer ergonomics, which is quite incredible, as the K20 was darned near perfect.

If the increased responsiveness isn't important to your photography, probably stay with the K20 for a while yet, at least until we see what Pentax has in the works.
For me, the K7 was a very nice upgrade because of the improvements it brought, just be aware that improvements in image quality is not one of them.
Agree with Wheatfield. If you're looking solely for IQ improvement, not worth it. everything esle has been upgraded to some variable degree. For me, the in-body distortion and CA correction is a BIG plus, it reduces my PP time considerably. Plus the frame rate in continuous shooting when going birding. Don't care much for video.

Note however that some of these improvements have been intergrated to the much cheaper K-x. My wife just got one and I am impressed with the result.
Hope this helps.

Cheers! Gene
04-27-2010, 01:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Do it. I upgraded from k-x, never looked back.
04-27-2010, 04:23 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
At current prices, it's hard to go wrong buying a K-7. If you sell your K20D for $600, the K-7 will only cost you about $300 net. And you should be able to sell it in turn next year for $600, if the K-8 is irresistible. Seems like an easy decision, if the lust is really strong.

Rob

04-27-2010, 06:18 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
This is a really useful comment I think. K-7 has great ergonomics, size, responsiveness, viewfinder etc. IQ upgrade is not huge as far as I can tell from the K20D. For landscape or still life etc the upgrade is not much. For stuff like street photography, it's really a major upgrade, with the better metering, quiet shutter, great viewfinder for APS-C, responsiveness and small size.

QuoteOriginally posted by kytra Quote
Do it. I upgraded from k-x, never looked back.
K-x is definitely a lower class camera though with many cost saving points. K20D was the previous top model,.

Last edited by CWyatt; 04-27-2010 at 07:08 PM.
04-27-2010, 06:23 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Oh I did leave out one point (may be an issue, maybe not be). The K-7 auto white balance is the best I've used.
04-27-2010, 07:00 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've been skipping generations a bit when it comes to the Pentax DSLRs.
Ist*D (2 bodies) then a K10, now K7.
The K7 is awesome. Go for it.
I will probably pick up a Green K-x because it reminds me of my Kawasaki!
04-27-2010, 09:02 PM   #12
Forum Member

How loud is the K-x shutter?

I want to upgrade and it'll cost about 200-300 as robgo2 noted but I also have the grip, batteries, kit lens and AF360 I would want to upgrade with it.

Maybe its a pipe dream right now but I may go for it just for the quieter shutter and AF lamp.
04-27-2010, 09:15 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I upgraded to the K7 from the K20D. The K7 s a wonderful camera and does several things better than the K20D. Would I do it again? No.

The K20D is a great camera, and it works well for my shooting needs. I do not see any reason to upgrade to the K7 unless you really need the faster shooting and AF speeds. Both are nice for surfing and birding, but I do not think that it is enough of an improvement to justify the upgrade. In fact, I wasn't going to upgrade to the K7 and was going to wait for the K8 or whatever the K7 successor would be.

Fate had different ideas in mind. My K20D died in December, ten days before a wedding I was asked to shoot. The proprietor of the local Pentax repair shop just laughed when I asked if there was any possibility of getting it back in ten days. My K10D had already been converted to an IR only camera, and my istDS is supposed to be my second body with a wide-angle zoom on it...

I have since gotten my K20D back and I now have 2 cameras with similar resolution and overall image quality to shoot with, and I like it.

My advice to you is to wait until the new model is out, hopefully soon. It will be better than the K7 for sure meaning that it will be that much more better than the K20D...
04-27-2010, 10:43 PM   #14
pdo

If you upgrade now. Will you feel the need to upgrade again when Pentax release a new camera this year? I always upgrade at the end of dslr's life. That's when everyone's dumping their unused dslr body.
04-27-2010, 11:22 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Asudef Quote
How loud is the K-x shutter?

I want to upgrade and it'll cost about 200-300 as robgo2 noted but I also have the grip, batteries, kit lens and AF360 I would want to upgrade with it.

Maybe its a pipe dream right now but I may go for it just for the quieter shutter and AF lamp.
The KX has one of the loudest shutter sounds out of all dslr's - it sounds pretty agricultural - imho.

Also the lack of highlighted focus points is a deal breaker for many.

If you try the KX side by side with the Canon ti2 the kx's auto-focus will feel & sound pretty much agricultural too.

The sensor though is far better than what is in the K7 and many are now waiting to see if Pentax will bring out the K8 which hopefully will have the new Sony exmor sensor and auto-focusing in the same league as the Nikon & Canon's.