Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2007, 02:27 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Setting Sharpness on K10D ?

This may appear like a slightly dumb question, but if one adjusts the relevant setting (in Rec mode) on the K10D, am I correct in understanding that sharpness is being applied ONLY to Jpeg images (and also the Jpeg ones in Jpeg + RAW) but NOT Raw files ? I expect this user facility is probably intended as a quick fix in order to sharpen Jpeg images sufficiently in-camera, rather than taking time to edit them later on in post processing via software ? If so, is pp likely to produce superior results, or would it acceptable/better to let the in-camera processing do the job ??

07-25-2007, 02:51 PM   #2
Pentaxian

As far as I know, sharpening must be applied at the very end of post processing for best results
07-25-2007, 03:04 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You are correct in your assumption that sharpening adjustment ( or contrast;brightness) in the record menu will only affect the jpeg. Any RAW file you get from the camera will be untouched.

To get the best results you can get from your camera shoot RAW and pp in Photoshop or a similar programme. With a half decent pp program your average pc has far more power (and flexibility) to produce a picture out of the RAW file than the in camera processor.

You will need to to a bit of reading up on the subject (that includes the pp software manual), as every RAW file will need some basic tweaking including sharpening.
07-25-2007, 04:13 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Many thanks to both "Edvinas" and "pschlute" for your speedy replies to my initial question. Your answers confirmed my suspicion about these settings only affecting Jpegs.
However I am fully aware that the best image quality will always result from pp RAW. What I'm really trying to establish in my second query is just how useful these user-variable settings actually are ? Say for example one is taking wedding photos on a purely casual basis for friends and the bride & groom require an instant photo CD to take away with them or to show to friends etc. In all probability they are hardly likely to want to wait around for hours whilst I pp everything in RAW. What I need to know in this scenario is: Would it better to apply a small amount of in-camera sharpening to the Jpegs or not ? Sorry if I didn't quite explain myself too clearly in the first place !

07-25-2007, 05:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Many thanks to both "Edvinas" and "pschlute" for your speedy replies to my initial question. Your answers confirmed my suspicion about these settings only affecting Jpegs.
However I am fully aware that the best image quality will always result from pp RAW. What I'm really trying to establish in my second query is just how useful these user-variable settings actually are ? Say for example one is taking wedding photos on a purely casual basis for friends and the bride & groom require an instant photo CD to take away with them or to show to friends etc. In all probability they are hardly likely to want to wait around for hours whilst I pp everything in RAW. What I need to know in this scenario is: Would it better to apply a small amount of in-camera sharpening to the Jpegs or not ? Sorry if I didn't quite explain myself too clearly in the first place !
That you may have to determine yourself. On the k10 the theory is that the bright modes (w no added adjustments) apply more sharpness than the natural modes (no added adjustment). To quote a k10 user "Bright image tone with the sliders set at '0' is roughly equal to Natural image tone with sliders set to '+2'. (saturation, sharpness and contrast). My preferred setting for JPEG's that I don't want to post process, is Bright image tone with Saturation -1, the rest at 0. This is because Bright at '0' is simply too much for my taste."
And a series of shots, though for saturation not sharpness, but it gives you a feel.
Re: Contrast/saturation image series: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
K10 w/ the weaker AA filter and smaller pixel size has a built in sharpness advantage over many 8-10mp cameras (one note is that the K10 may purposely de-sharpen the jpg a bit in order to cover some anomolies that can occur due to the weaker AA filter but don't tell anyone this ) and people tolerate "less sharp" photos way more than "dull" photos.
Loss of sharpness will probably be more affected from the "beverages"
07-25-2007, 06:33 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
"jeffkrol" - genius reply and precisely what I needed to know. The connection to Digital Photography Review hit the nail right on the head........Viewing those examples on that particular link taught me more in sixty seconds than any Instruction Manual could ever hope to ! The oft-quoted expression "a picture speaks a thousand words" was never more appropriate ! Why this type of illustration isn't to be found within the pages of the Pentax K10D IM, god only knows, but of course they never show you this kind of thing ! That would be FAR too USEFUL, wouldn't it ! I seem to remember reading somewhere on this forum that when shooting Jpegs on the K10D, it might be advisable to use the "bright" setting. The vital pieces of information that they'd omitted to include (and which I've never seen mentioned anywhere else before) are contained below:

Quote: "Bright image tone with Saturation -1, the rest at 0"

AND:

Quote: "Bright image tone with the sliders set at '0' is roughly equal to Natural image tone with sliders set to '+2'."

If I've understood this right, Bright IT = Natural IT (Saturation, Sharpening,Contrast) all at '+2' ?

I trust you're not teetotal, because I reckon I owe you a very large pint for that little nugget of information.......and thanks so much for your invaluable help

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 07-25-2007 at 07:22 PM.