Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2010, 04:51 PM   #1

K-7 Skin Tones

Hello. I'm new to this forum and Pentax. I'm Paul by the way. I photograph pets and portraits of people. I am thinking of buying a K-7 and was wondering if anyone has some photos of people so I can how the skin tones look. I would like to see both outdoor and studio shots. I am impressed by this camera from what I have read and just wasn't sure about the skin tones. I have been on the Pentax Image Gallery to look at photos. If anyone could do this, I would really appreciate it. I thought this would be the best way to see what I am looking for. Ask the people that use the camera every day. Also let me know if the photo was taken under daylight or strobe. I would really like to see a straight out of the camera sample too. Thanks for your help....Paul

04-27-2010, 05:52 PM   #2
Pentaxian

The pentax K-7 has pretty good skin tones,the samsung sensor does a very good job...though my one criticism of the K-7 is the AA filter is a heavy handed. The viewfinder is much better than previous Pentax bodies, it is much easier to focus Manually with the standard screen.

Last edited by Digitalis; 04-29-2011 at 05:09 AM.
04-28-2010, 12:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It depends a lot on post processing.
I photograph people a lot and have experimented a lot with post processing.
My recommendation is to use the "Natural" preset and use the Pentax Photo Laboratory (PPL) for RAW conversion. I tried to get the same in ACR, but wasn't able to get it as perfect as in PPL.
04-28-2010, 02:05 AM   #4
Pentaxian

lightroom is my post processing software of choice.. Photoshop CS4 is what I use for the more difficult retouching jobs.

04-28-2010, 08:26 PM   #5

Original Poster
I use Lightroom also

but would compare the three. The skin in the two photos above looks okay but a lot of waht I have seen seem to have a pinkish tint to the skin. I need to check out more samples before I decide. I wish there was a store around here that has Pentax cameras. So is there a replacement coming out already? I've been seeing rumours.
04-28-2010, 10:53 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by psdigital Quote
but would compare the three. The skin in the two photos above looks okay but a lot of waht I have seen seem to have a pinkish tint to the skin. I need to check out more samples before I decide. I wish there was a store around here that has Pentax cameras. So is there a replacement coming out already? I've been seeing rumours.
Pinkish skin tones tend to be a fact of life with studio lights, so I wouldn't put too much faith in the above samples as being representative of the K7 sensor. Any camera will tend to give warm skin tones with warm lights.
Slightly desaturating the red channel will tame that, and would be something you would have to do no matter which camera you bought.
04-29-2010, 05:20 PM   #7

Original Poster
Here is a couple that I took..

I took these with a different camera (Fuji S-2). These were straight from the camera. The boy was a TIF File and the girl was a JPG file. If the K-7 does as good as this, I would be happy. I'm not as picky now since I am photographing mostly pets but sometimes I have the owner in the photo too. Do you think the skin colors are as good as these? I am not saying these are my best ones, I just picked two really quick that were handy. I just don't like the sunburned look. Sometimes my S-2 would do that on outdoor photos. They would have a pink tint until I bought a calibration target and that solved most of the problem.

I think I resized them too small. I see pixels....oops!
04-29-2010, 06:42 PM   #8
Pentaxian

A calibration target is essential for portraiture, some monobloc flash heads and accessories can cause subtle shifts in white balance, that can cause one to waste Hours in post processing time.

the K-7 skin tones are not all that much different from my 1DSMKIII or My Nikon D3 - I really wouldn't full about it...if you keep things calibrated you should be fine.

04-29-2010, 11:13 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I took these with a different camera (Fuji S-2). These were straight from the camera. The boy was a TIF File and the girl was a JPG file. If the K-7 does as good as this, I would be happy. I'm not as picky now since I am photographing mostly pets but sometimes I have the owner in the photo too. Do you think the skin colors are as good as these? I am not saying these are my best ones, I just picked two really quick that were handy. I just don't like the sunburned look. Sometimes my S-2 would do that on outdoor photos. They would have a pink tint until I bought a calibration target and that solved most of the problem.

I think I resized them too small. I see pixels....oops!
The Fuji Super CCD is really in a class of it's own. I haven't seen any sensor that matches it for skin tones under studio lighting.
My understanding is that it was designed pretty much for that purpose.
04-30-2010, 06:46 AM   #10
JMI

One major problem with digital is the amount of color information that it picks up, so even a tungsten light in an adjacent room to your studio can cause color problems. I use to own S3 and S5's, so I know that they can suffer from the same problems.

If your shooting raw and using LR, Aperture, C1, etc then you can make your own profiles and get any type skin tones you want (and skin tones are a VERY subjective thing). If your shooting jpeg then the Fuji's have an advantage with very good color/skin tones right in the camera and the Nikon's can have an advantage if you load your own custom tone curve.

Having said that I don't seem to have any trouble with the K7's.
04-30-2010, 10:27 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies

I am going to start looking for a good deal. I was going to sell my Sony but I think I will keep it too. If I end up liking the Pentax better, I will sell the Sony then. I love my Sony but I am questioning their future. The Sony has great skin tones but I really like the Pentax lens line-up. I like the weather sealing on the camera and lenses.
05-01-2010, 06:06 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I remember reading a reviewer's remarks once about how satisfied they were with Pentax in general and how well their cameras portray the color of black people's skin. I realize this sounds odd to some of you. But the reviewer's remark noted that they believed Pentax lenses and camera cast favorable tone with dark colored skin compared with our cameras.
That's all.