Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2010, 07:58 PM   #1

Fantasy feature for new body!

Working outside today, my batteries were freezing up, and it was only in the low 40s.

So, my fantasy feature request for the next Pentax body? A cold-weather feature that is available when you select NiMH as battery type.

Place a resistive heating pad between the metal skeleton and the plastic over-coat on the hand grip, and program the CPU to waste 500-750mA of energy on it.

The way I see it is, with 2900mAh capacity batteries, I can waste ~20-25% of my battery life heating the hand grip and therefore keeping the batteries warm through self-heating, or I can waste 60-80% of my capacity having the batteries stop working prematurely because they're operating below 25C (which is their rated operating temp).

04-27-2010, 08:31 PM   #2
Site Supporter

How would you run the CPU without battery?

Maybe it could be a chemical system. I'd call it the $0.97 hand warmer.
I've just finished my prototype. I'll sell it for $4.97 + shipping.

*I'm just joking around, I don't think the idea is crazy and I don't mean to be rude*

Last edited by Aegon; 04-27-2010 at 08:42 PM.
04-27-2010, 09:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Is it perhaps time to rename this the wishlist forum, since that's what most threads in here seem to be?
04-27-2010, 11:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
Is it perhaps time to rename this the wishlist forum, since that's what most threads in here seem to be?
...or simply add to an existing "wish list" thread such as: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/99424-new-k300d.html

Jason

04-28-2010, 11:20 AM   #5
Forum Member

I'd go for an external battery on a cord, as they used to make for several film camera bodies. I had a 645 set up that way and could use it in extremely cold weather with no problems.
04-28-2010, 12:04 PM   #6

Original Poster
for extreme cold weather, I would use lithium ... the thing is, the rechargeable battery jerks consider anything under 25C (almost 80 degrees!) to be "cold", otherwise why not rate their batteries for function at 10C or even 0C like the lithium's.

The hybrid electric cars that use nicd / nimh batteries have heating pads built into the packs, to allow the batteries to heat themselves to achieve optimal operating efficiency. In terms of fantasy options, I don't think it is too far fetched a request for a new body.
04-28-2010, 10:15 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

You realize that all you need to do is hold the camera and your hand will heat it?

04-29-2010, 05:38 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
You realize that all you need to do is hold the camera and your hand will heat it?
Maybe it's the ice in my veins, but the camera was not getting much heat from my hand. I think the rubber and plastic on the hand grip makes a pretty good insulator.
04-29-2010, 05:33 PM   #9
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Early last year I travelled over to Norway to see the WRC and I was outside in temperatures as low as -25 degrees C (in crazy amounts of snow!). I shoot with a k10d and had no real issues with battery life over the course of my travels there, I was really amazed, but the camera just kept taking photos!
I popped it back in my sling bag when not shooting but aside from that it was out in the cold for 12hr days shooting happily.
04-29-2010, 11:41 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Douf Quote
Early last year I travelled over to Norway to see the WRC and I was outside in temperatures as low as -25 degrees C (in crazy amounts of snow!). I shoot with a k10d and had no real issues with battery life over the course of my travels there, I was really amazed, but the camera just kept taking photos!
I popped it back in my sling bag when not shooting but aside from that it was out in the cold for 12hr days shooting happily.
I think some sort of conclusion can be drawn from this.
It doesn't matter how far they take AA battery technology, 4 of them don't do very well running a DSLR, especially in cold weather.
04-30-2010, 05:31 AM   #11

Original Poster
Recharables certainly suck in cold weather. The energy density of small lithium ion packs needs improvement. For $40 the D-LI50 provides 12 watt-hours of energy. For $20, a four pack of 2.9 aH nimh batteries provides 14 watt-hours. Two more watts for half the price. Of course, the sacrafice being cold weather operation.

Pentax should head out to the bleeding edge and adopt one of the new lithium based electrolytes that provide a higher energy density - I think it was either Panasonic or Toshiba that recently announced a 6 fold increase for their 18650 size cells (that is a laptop pack/ hybrid car size). Of course, we'd need a bigger body to hold such a battery.
04-30-2010, 02:18 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by justDIY Quote
Two more watts for half the price. Of course, the sacrafice being cold weather operation.
...and size, and weight, and ease of use (rapid changing in low light etc.)