Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-27-2010, 10:56 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Woah is this really true?

Im a proud Kx user and was actually planning on getting another DSLR system.
so Ive got this choice of 7D or the D300s

then I saw this comparison...
Compare cameras

man was I surprised...

04-27-2010, 11:21 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This really isn't news at this point. It's also a small part of what makes a great camera. I would certainly still get the 7D or D300s over the K-x, my wallet permitting.

I'm surprised though to see that the 7D has superior low light ISO compared to the K-x. In my experience it has been the opposite.
04-27-2010, 11:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Agree with hangu there...both the D300 and moreover the 7D blow the k-x out of the water because they are semi-pro cameras whilst the K-x is an entry level camera.

Aside from that, the sensor in K-x is truly a very good one and for the price is simply unbeatable if you want low-light capabilities and portability.

If you want to upgrade, buy a K7 - now that is a camera which can compete head to head from every angle with the likes of Canon 7D and Nik D300 with a significantly lower price tag.
I ditched my K-x and bought a K7 because I shoot only up to 20% in low light and beside that with some tweaks the K7 is also an honorable performer in that department too.
04-28-2010, 12:01 AM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would agree strongly that the K-7 is a viable alternative for a semi-pro camera. Consider carefully your needs. The K-7 is value for money compared to the D300s and 7D.

04-28-2010, 05:08 AM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
If you want to upgrade, buy a K7 - now that is a camera which can compete head to head from every angle with the likes of Canon 7D and Nik D300
It really depends on what kind of photography you do. Making a blanket statement like that is really putting yourself out on a limb. The K7 has a lot of bells and whistles, but it cannot come close to competing with the 7D or D300 in high ISO capability, and since Pentax shooters have to basically rely on third party lens makers for long glass, which typically have slower apertures, the K7 is not an upgrade from the K20 in these instances.

For some, the K7 is a wonderful camera. For others, it is just not up to the task, and cannot compete even with the lowly KX.
04-28-2010, 05:46 AM   #6
Veteran Member

"For some, the K7 is a wonderful camera. For others, it is just not up to the task, and cannot compete even with the lowly KX. "

If you are shooting iso 1600-3200 exclusively, I'd be inclined to agree. If you do not, I disagree completely.

Jason
04-28-2010, 06:34 AM   #7
Veteran Member

+1 hangu's post: the Kx is an exceptional camera for the price.

The 7D greater sensor density is likely at least partially responsible for its better low iso performance.

04-28-2010, 07:35 AM   #8
Inactive Account

So you are saying the K7 is equal to the KX in the range of ISO 1000 to 1600?
04-28-2010, 07:36 AM   #9
Veteran Member

yeah the Kx's sensor is one of the best going outside of medium format cameras, and the D3x that is why EVERYONE is dying for a new high end camera from pentax because its going to have the proper K7 level body with a kick arse sensor, and be pure bliss.
04-28-2010, 07:51 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Remember the K-x sensor strengths vs the 7D, D300s and even the K-7 aren't just about high-ISO. It's also very much about dynamic range too. High ISO is good but high dynamic range contributes to IQ all across the ISO range. The K-x does very well against the semi-pro bodies on both, so high-ISo isn't the K-x's only strong point.

I do agree though that if the K-x came wrapped in a semi-pro body, and had all the extra bells and whistles of a 7D or K-7, Pentax would have had an absolute knockout camera on their hands.
04-28-2010, 08:33 AM   #11
Veteran Member

yeah the k7 was a disappointment with inferior performance to the k20d... what a joke. Should have had the Kx's sensor in it but maybe the MP wars were still in the marketing peoples' mind. Pretty sure its marketing's fault this situation. After all the main check point the K7 got was video ffs. I do appreciate the body is nice design wise.
04-28-2010, 08:38 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Al_in_the_Shire Quote
So you are saying the K7 is equal to the KX in the range of ISO 1000 to 1600?
Having owned both: yes. If not better.
04-28-2010, 09:09 AM   #13
Inactive Account

I had the chance to play with a K7 for a week. I used my Sigma 150-500, sigma 105 macro, DA 55-300 and 16-45 lens on the camera. I shot it at high ISO, low ISO, for birds, for landscapes and for macro.

It did very well everywhere except in the bird area. I honestly did not think it was that much better in IQ than either my K200 or k20, and actually worse with the 150-500 in many instances.

I could have bought either camera, and it took me a long time to finally buy the KX because I simply did not want an entry level camera, but it was all that was available for the kind of shooting I do. I've even taken to walking around with the KX when hiking instead of the K200 because I can stick a polarizer on the DA 55-300 and still stop it down to F 8 and maintain the shutter speed needed for good IQ. I simply could not do that with the K 7 (I can't do it with the K200 or K 20 either unless it is really sunny out).

I thought the K 7 was a really wonderful camera. I loved the feel, the things it could do, but in the end, it's the photograph that counts, not the features. The KX is growing on me, but it is, in the end, still an entry level camera. I just hope Pentax is going to take people who are above the entry level seriously with their next offering, or I will probably be looking for other options. Right now, Pentax does not make a serious body (or lens for that matter) for people who shoot birds or wildlife, and the other companies are leaving them in the dust.
04-28-2010, 09:28 AM   #14
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
yeah the Kx's sensor is one of the best going outside of medium format cameras, and the D3x that is why EVERYONE is dying for a new high end camera from pentax because its going to have the proper K7 level body with a kick arse sensor, and be pure bliss.
I don't think there's a a snowball's chance in Hell that Pentax will be bringing out a FF 35mm body anytime soon-- certainly not one with a high MP count, not with the 645D just launching. With the 645D they're attempting to leapfrog the competition and a crowded field with relatively low sales volume and a slender profit margin (where they'd have to offer it at <$2000 to be a Sony 850 competitor). It would cannibalize their 645D sales.
04-28-2010, 09:30 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@ KYTRA: "...and beside that with some tweaks the K7 is also an honorable performer in that department too."

What are the 'tweaks' to which you refer?