Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2010, 06:58 AM   #1

new DSLR flagship wishlist

With all these rumour threads running rampant, I might contribute my share of prediction/wishlist of the K-7 replacement:

Prediction:

1. APS-C body based on Sony's CMOS. 16-18 Mpix.
2. K-7 based body, same weather sealing, same viewfinder, same quiet shutter
3. 5-6 fps
4. shares battery grip with K-7
5. 1080p video at 30fps
6. latest firmware goodies, like the cross-processing colour mode
7. faster processor
8. Vignetting correction
9. Further AF improvements

Wishlist:

1. Totally switch off DFS. Not likely to happen.
2. Aperture ring coupler. Not likely to happen, but hey, Nikon has been doing it!!!
3. Dual PRIME II processing giving instant CA, distortion, vignetting correction, and faster contrast-detect AF.
4. 60 fps video under *some* resolution
5. Unlimited pictures in time lapse mode
6. Tethering
7. Photographer-controlled top LCD illumination
8. multi-functioned battery grip (e.g. geotagging)
9. Dual SD slot
10. Ability to use screw drive on SDM lense
11. "Eye-start SR" to eliminate the SR delay
12. Automatic AF adjustment using contrast-detect AF
13. reduced resolution RAW. Better if it's multisampled from the full res photo so print noise will not increase.
14. H.264 compressed video in addition to MJPEG
15. faster flash sync
16. more User modes. Not likely to happen because it's trivial yet they haven't done it.
17. Flash exposure bracketing. Now I'm asking for too much so I'd better stop.

Feel free to add/delete.

04-28-2010, 07:12 AM   #2

18. Cold weather mode; keep batteries warm when it's cold by discharging them into a heating element in the hand grip.
04-28-2010, 10:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

If you are really talking about a flagship in place of the K7, then the one thing I would ask for is a NEW focus system, not further AF improvements. Way after that, I would like:

Flash synch speed improvements
Tethering
Direct ability to change on screen menu items rather than having to push another button
04-29-2010, 06:57 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
I agree about the flash sync. speed. I would love to shoot faster than 1/180

04-29-2010, 08:21 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

QuoteOriginally posted by justDIY Quote
18. Cold weather mode; keep batteries warm when it's cold by discharging them into a heating element in the hand grip.
19) A viewfinder that sticks out from the body so we don't have to crush and slime our noses all over the screen.

20) Weather-sealed flash units, both on the camera and off...

Cheers,
Cameron
04-29-2010, 09:07 AM   #6
Inactive Account

I would like to see 8-10fps shutter, cause I would love to capture fast action and wild life. Plus to also have a APS-H sensor around 18MP or so.
04-29-2010, 09:32 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

1) Retire the old and weary SAFOX. (Don't want to see SAFOX VIII++, or SAFOX IX+, or even SAFOX X) Replace it with something that can compete for once with Canon and Nikon in low light AF speed.
2) Ability to bypass SDM and use screw drive

Everything else is just gravy IMO.

04-29-2010, 09:33 AM   #8
Veteran Member

1. I very much would like to see a Sony sensor over the current Samsung one as I've never been a fan. I think 18mp on an APS-C sensor would be too much but on an APS-H sensor that seems like it might be the sweet-spot.

2. I also want to see SAFOX dumped to the curb in favor of an entirely new AF system.

3. 1/500th sync speed.

If those three things were the only changed, I'd be a happy man. I feel like they already nailed the ergonomics on the K-7, so let's keep that.
04-29-2010, 09:43 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Share batteries and accessories with K7, or use AA batts. Do not render another set of batteries orphans.
04-29-2010, 10:36 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

No AA batteries, use the same batteries as the K7. Leave the AA batteries for the entry level masochists.
As an aside to Justdiy, I use the K10/K20/K7 for extended periods in temperatures as low as -30ºC with no battery related problems, so I don't think there is any need to waste battery power on an onboard heater with these battery types.

The biggie for me is faster AF with more AF points. The present AF system is a tweaked version of the system that was intorduced in the lowest end film camera Pentax made almost a decade ago.
It's time for some new technology.

If theDA LTD lenses will support a larger sensor, then a 1.3ish crop at around 21mp would be nice, but not at the expense of frame rate.
04-29-2010, 10:59 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
- Focus bracketing
- better S/N
- better AF
- Return of the bracketing button
- Possibility to select between SDM and shaft AF
- FF, if possible.

Last edited by blende8; 04-30-2010 at 12:00 AM.
04-29-2010, 12:34 PM   #12

- tethering
- live view that will display the picture stopped down
04-29-2010, 02:34 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I see no need to re-invent the wheel. The Canon 5DII is an excellent spec'd camera with weather seals, reasonable size, a great feature list and great performance. If you were to put all the features from that camera into a Pentax I would be ecstatic. If they could make it just a bit cheaper than Canon - then all the better.

It also has its weaknesses with regards to autofocus but it doesn't pretend to be a sports camera. If you want the best of EVERYTHING you need to move to the 1Ds or D3 series of cameras that have a starting price of >$5000

In my mind the 5DII/D700 is THE camera that is missing from the Pentax lineup. I can't see them ever getting into the high-end sports models but having a REALLY nice ~$2000 portrait/landscape camera fits right in with the Pentax brand

Last edited by cwood; 04-29-2010 at 06:09 PM.
04-29-2010, 04:59 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
19) A viewfinder that sticks out from the body so we don't have to crush and slime our noses all over the screen.
Yes! That would be awesome. I always wanted the buttons to return to the left side of the LCD, like on the K20D, so that my nose is on them rather than the LCD but a protruding viewfinder would be awesome.

Another queue from the 645D would be to also include a portrait orientation tripod mount. I mean how much would that cost on the camera? No need L-brackets, less weight, lower total cost, and an easy thing to add.

Some improved high-ISO performance would be my next request. Surely they can match the K-x... but maybe they can do even better and capture more dynamic range which is a still quite limiting factor.

- Itai
Neovoyage | Explore, Experience, Expand your horizons | Travel Photography Tours
04-30-2010, 02:03 AM   #15
Forum Member

Okay I'll play.

The nominal FPS is high enough for most purposes in the K-7. However it is seriously slowed down by the AF system. So to put a concrete demand on a future AF system, I would like it to be exactly snappy enough to keep up with the K-7 nominal frame rate.

The shake reduction system could also use improvement. As per Falk Lumo's study and my own experiences, it is not up to its task at focal lengths beyond 200mm. A Macro-mode would be cool too.

The ergonomics of K-7 are fairly good. My personal pet peeve with it is the position of the LV button, I would like to see it moved to a place a bit further away from other buttons. Unless of course it's possible to deactivate the button in firmware; just like they did with the operation of the 4-way controller in AF-select mode.