Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2010, 07:38 AM   #1

Question for K-X owners.

I've got a k100 and a k10 but want to be able to record some cool 10-17 videos so i've been looking at the kx. Just wondering how you guys are dealing with no top screen. Is all the top screen info shown on the back screen at all times? How long did it take to get used to that as well as only one dial? Thanks all.

04-28-2010, 08:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dimebagdave Quote
. Just wondering how you guys are dealing with no top screen. Is all the top screen info shown on the back screen at all times? How long did it take to get used to that as well as only one dial? Thanks all.
I missed the top screen for about a week, but I quickly got used to glancing at the back screen for that same data and now I don't think about it at all.

For the one dial, Pentax did a smart thing - the button to switch the dial from aperture to shutter is placed for your right index finger (green button, exposure button, whatever you use them for as programmable buttons, both are for your right index) so from the kinesthetic perspective, "index finger=shutter" continues to make sense. That transition took me just a few days or so.

Hope this helps
04-28-2010, 09:26 AM   #3
Inactive Account

I shoot almost always on a tripod, and hardly ever look at the top screen of my K20 or K200. I really like the info screen on the KX better than the other cameras. It seems to be less cluttered, and the information is in a large enough text to be able to read without having to hunt for it. I think they did a good job with the info screen. One thing they left off though is focal length. If you use a zoom, you wil not know what actual focal length you are at until you take a shot and look at the info on the playback screen. That is important info for me because some zooms seem to be a bit sharper at less than full zoom and I like to see that there so I remind myself to back off a bit, and so I know I am in the sweet spot of the lens as well.

As for the one wheel, one nice feature on the KX over the K 200 is that with the K200 you have to hold the AV button down to change aperture or shutter speed or EC while you rotate the wheel. With the KX, the button locks. So you press it, and let go and it stays either on the aperture or shutter speed until you press it again. I always disliked having to hold one button down and rotate the dial on the K200 especially when it was cold out. I think it makes the camera easier to control.
04-28-2010, 09:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

no problems to read from the back. in very bright light it might be a problem though. Anyway you get the main info in the viewfinder too. The advanced info (filters, WB, sharpness, shooting programs etc) would not have been shown on the top LCD anyway.

04-28-2010, 11:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've never had a camera with a top screen so I wouldn't know... however, the lack of face sensor for the LCD screen irks me tremendously. My old Canon Xsi would auto shut off the LCD when I brought my face up to it to look through the viewfinder. The K-x does not until I depress the shutter half way.
04-28-2010, 01:26 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
I never had a camera with a top screen so I can't say that I miss it, the info on the back screen of the K-x is easy to read and there is more of it.

I don't have a problem with the info screen staying on until I press the shutter half way, I like being able to peek at it while composing.

I have had my K-x a couple of weeks now and make about 1500 shots with it and have been very happy with it. It takes excellent pictures.

Another happy owner...
04-29-2010, 05:17 AM   #7

Original Poster
thanks folks. i didnt think it would make much of a difference, just wanted to see what y'all thought. thanks again.