Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2010, 07:59 AM   #1

How do you.......

Get the K20D to shoot multiple images for HDR? I know going to the menu, but I'm not sure I'm selecting the right line. Each time I select one or the other, it cancels out the other ie Bracketing or Multiple Exposures. Not sure what I'm doing.........can you tell? Thanks in advance.

Gene

04-28-2010, 08:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gene Temple Quote
Get the K20D to shoot multiple images for HDR? I know going to the menu, but I'm not sure I'm selecting the right line. Each time I select one or the other, it cancels out the other ie Bracketing or Multiple Exposures. Not sure what I'm doing.........can you tell? Thanks in advance.

Gene
There is a different between press OK or Menu when you are done setting the Multiple Exposures setting from the Menu. I remember it only happens with early firmware tho.

But you should choose Bracketing if you want to shoot multiple image for HDR
04-28-2010, 08:40 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You actually only need the menu once, to set the "spread" or the size of the steps you want to be able to select i.e. 1/2 stop, 1/3 stop etc. and to set whether you want the bracket fired when holding down the shutter or after just one shutter press.

After that, it is all done with hard switches on your K20D body.

1: Use the bracket button on top of the camera, slightly to the left of the viewfinder window. The button has something like 3 little rectangles in different shades of grey on it.

2. While holding the bracket button down, use the front selection wheel(dial) to alternate between OFF|3 shots bracket|5 shots bracket

3. Don't forget to reset to OFF when you are done or you will be bracketing forever!

K20D Manual: page 129
04-28-2010, 08:54 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Make sure too that you are bracketing the Aperture, not the shutter speed, or the other way around. Any attempts I've ever made at HDR with the K20d I just used a remote, In M mode, and changed the aperture for each consecutive shot. Your goal is to get several different exposures of the same scene.

04-28-2010, 09:08 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Make sure too that you are bracketing the Aperture, not the shutter speed, or the other way around. Any attempts I've ever made at HDR with the K20d I just used a remote, In M mode, and changed the aperture for each consecutive shot. Your goal is to get several different exposures of the same scene.

As long as the camera is set to Aperture priority, it will bracket the exposures by varying the shutter-speed. Set the camera to Sv and it will bracket the apertures.

I usually shoot HDR sequences hand-held and let the software automatically align the images. (LuminanceHDR)
04-28-2010, 09:22 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you want to stay in manual for aperture control in HDR bracketing, just hit the green button before activating the shutter. The shutter speed will then be altered to complete the bracket.
04-28-2010, 09:45 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
As long as the camera is set to Aperture priority, it will bracket the exposures by varying the shutter-speed. Set the camera to Sv and it will bracket the apertures.

I usually shoot HDR sequences hand-held and let the software automatically align the images. (LuminanceHDR)

I haven't done a whole lot with it and haven't explored all of the ways of doing an HDR shot. From What I understood about it (at the time) is that the idea is to pull as much detail out of the scene as possible. Setting to M mode, fixing ISO and either Aperture or Shutter speed and adjusting the other seemed to work fine. I'm sure auto bracketing works fine too, never said it wouldn't, M and manual adjustment is how I handled it.

04-28-2010, 10:12 AM   #8

Original Poster
This is the place to be for info

Thank you........gives me some fun when I get home tonight.
04-28-2010, 10:20 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some examples of auto-bracketed (with 3 shots, I almost always find 5 overkill). Have lots of fun! Come show us the results once you are done!

04-28-2010, 10:29 AM   #10
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Setting to M mode, fixing ISO and either Aperture or Shutter speed and adjusting the other seemed to work fine. I'm sure auto bracketing works fine too, never said it wouldn't, M and manual adjustment is how I handled it.
I wouldn't change aperture because of DOF issues. Granted, a lot of these shots are done to infinity, but they don't have to be.

Sorry, no Reputation click for YOU! You BLEW it!

(This is my second Reputation joke, and I got a million of 'em.)
04-28-2010, 10:30 AM   #11
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
Some examples of auto-bracketed (with 3 shots, I almost always find 5 overkill). Have lots of fun! Come show us the results once you are done!

These are absolutely stunning. Exactly the kind of results I would want from HDR.
04-28-2010, 10:37 AM   #12

Original Poster
Holy Cow........

My buddy Vaughn does some amazing HDR's too............yours just took my breath away. Stunning. I hope to present something to you before long after my trial and error.
Thanks again............
Gene
04-28-2010, 10:49 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info to all. Very interesting.
04-28-2010, 12:43 PM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I wouldn't change aperture because of DOF issues. Granted, a lot of these shots are done to infinity, but they don't have to be.

Sorry, no Reputation click for YOU! You BLEW it!

(This is my second Reputation joke, and I got a million of 'em.)
Points aside, my reputation usually speaks for itself online.. I'll try harder next time though..

Newmikey, those shots are fantastic.

04-28-2010, 01:14 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I have to say that there's just something that I especially like about the middle one. It has the richness of information but the light still also retains the pop and 3 dimensionality that often seems to disappear in HDR