Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2010, 07:59 AM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Lynchburg Virginia
Posts: 182
How do you.......

Get the K20D to shoot multiple images for HDR? I know going to the menu, but I'm not sure I'm selecting the right line. Each time I select one or the other, it cancels out the other ie Bracketing or Multiple Exposures. Not sure what I'm doing.........can you tell? Thanks in advance.

Gene

04-28-2010, 08:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member
vizjerei's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,418
QuoteOriginally posted by Gene Temple Quote
Get the K20D to shoot multiple images for HDR? I know going to the menu, but I'm not sure I'm selecting the right line. Each time I select one or the other, it cancels out the other ie Bracketing or Multiple Exposures. Not sure what I'm doing.........can you tell? Thanks in advance.

Gene
There is a different between press OK or Menu when you are done setting the Multiple Exposures setting from the Menu. I remember it only happens with early firmware tho.

But you should choose Bracketing if you want to shoot multiple image for HDR
04-28-2010, 08:40 AM   #3
Pentaxian
newmikey's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,590
You actually only need the menu once, to set the "spread" or the size of the steps you want to be able to select i.e. 1/2 stop, 1/3 stop etc. and to set whether you want the bracket fired when holding down the shutter or after just one shutter press.

After that, it is all done with hard switches on your K20D body.

1: Use the bracket button on top of the camera, slightly to the left of the viewfinder window. The button has something like 3 little rectangles in different shades of grey on it.

2. While holding the bracket button down, use the front selection wheel(dial) to alternate between OFF|3 shots bracket|5 shots bracket

3. Don't forget to reset to OFF when you are done or you will be bracketing forever!

K20D Manual: page 129
04-28-2010, 08:54 AM   #4
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,484
Make sure too that you are bracketing the Aperture, not the shutter speed, or the other way around. Any attempts I've ever made at HDR with the K20d I just used a remote, In M mode, and changed the aperture for each consecutive shot. Your goal is to get several different exposures of the same scene.



04-28-2010, 09:08 AM   #5
Pentaxian
newmikey's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,590
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Make sure too that you are bracketing the Aperture, not the shutter speed, or the other way around. Any attempts I've ever made at HDR with the K20d I just used a remote, In M mode, and changed the aperture for each consecutive shot. Your goal is to get several different exposures of the same scene.

As long as the camera is set to Aperture priority, it will bracket the exposures by varying the shutter-speed. Set the camera to Sv and it will bracket the apertures.

I usually shoot HDR sequences hand-held and let the software automatically align the images. (LuminanceHDR)
04-28-2010, 09:22 AM   #6
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Prince George, BC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,342
If you want to stay in manual for aperture control in HDR bracketing, just hit the green button before activating the shutter. The shutter speed will then be altered to complete the bracket.
04-28-2010, 09:45 AM   #7
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,484
QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
As long as the camera is set to Aperture priority, it will bracket the exposures by varying the shutter-speed. Set the camera to Sv and it will bracket the apertures.

I usually shoot HDR sequences hand-held and let the software automatically align the images. (LuminanceHDR)

I haven't done a whole lot with it and haven't explored all of the ways of doing an HDR shot. From What I understood about it (at the time) is that the idea is to pull as much detail out of the scene as possible. Setting to M mode, fixing ISO and either Aperture or Shutter speed and adjusting the other seemed to work fine. I'm sure auto bracketing works fine too, never said it wouldn't, M and manual adjustment is how I handled it.

04-28-2010, 10:12 AM   #8
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Lynchburg Virginia
Posts: 182
Original Poster
This is the place to be for info

Thank you........gives me some fun when I get home tonight.

04-28-2010, 10:20 AM   #9
Pentaxian
newmikey's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,590
Some examples of auto-bracketed (with 3 shots, I almost always find 5 overkill). Have lots of fun! Come show us the results once you are done!





04-28-2010, 10:29 AM   #10
Ira
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Coral Springs, FL
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,216
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Setting to M mode, fixing ISO and either Aperture or Shutter speed and adjusting the other seemed to work fine. I'm sure auto bracketing works fine too, never said it wouldn't, M and manual adjustment is how I handled it.
I wouldn't change aperture because of DOF issues. Granted, a lot of these shots are done to infinity, but they don't have to be.

Sorry, no Reputation click for YOU! You BLEW it!

(This is my second Reputation joke, and I got a million of 'em.)
04-28-2010, 10:30 AM   #11
Ira
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Coral Springs, FL
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,216
QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
Some examples of auto-bracketed (with 3 shots, I almost always find 5 overkill). Have lots of fun! Come show us the results once you are done!





These are absolutely stunning. Exactly the kind of results I would want from HDR.
04-28-2010, 10:37 AM   #12
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Lynchburg Virginia
Posts: 182
Original Poster
Holy Cow........

My buddy Vaughn does some amazing HDR's too............yours just took my breath away. Stunning. I hope to present something to you before long after my trial and error.
Thanks again............
Gene
04-28-2010, 10:49 AM   #13
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,738
Thanks for the info to all. Very interesting.
04-28-2010, 12:43 PM   #14
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,484
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I wouldn't change aperture because of DOF issues. Granted, a lot of these shots are done to infinity, but they don't have to be.

Sorry, no Reputation click for YOU! You BLEW it!

(This is my second Reputation joke, and I got a million of 'em.)
Points aside, my reputation usually speaks for itself online.. I'll try harder next time though..

Newmikey, those shots are fantastic.

04-28-2010, 01:14 PM   #15
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Nass's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The British Isles
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,251
I have to say that there's just something that I especially like about the middle one. It has the richness of information but the light still also retains the pop and 3 dimensionality that often seems to disappear in HDR
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:13 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top