Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2010, 02:56 PM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks Special K and again Jeff. I have a lot to learn.

K10d and K200d. Which would you choose if you wanted clean low light photos? I leaning towards those two. Then maybe I could get a grip and a flash too. The K200d has only 1 wheel. Does that make a big difference?

04-28-2010, 03:13 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by iClick Quote
Thanks Special K and again Jeff. I have a lot to learn.

K10d and K200d. Which would you choose if you wanted clean low light photos? I leaning towards those two. Then maybe I could get a grip and a flash too. The K200d has only 1 wheel. Does that make a big difference?
To me it does. Having 2 wheels, especially on the K10d gives you options. I have mine set up (for instance) in Av and Tv modes, to change the ISO with the front dial and the rear dials handle the exposure modes. I'm not a High ISO shooter so the High ISO performance has never been a factor for me. The K10d can handle it but you really have to pay attention to exposure. It does start getting noisy at 400, at 800 it's still usable in most cases, and at 1600, you really have to pay attention to where your shadows fall.

If you go after a K10d, look for one with a serial number starting higher than say 24 or 25 (as the first two digits). 22xxxxxx were the first ones off the line and later ones received improvements in the process that helped greatly.

04-28-2010, 07:16 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feel them in person

I moved up from a K100D Super to the K10D. To me, one of the major factors was the "feel" of the camera.

I'd think that in most respects, the K200D and K10D are going to be pretty close on paper, but I'd recommend handling a K10D or K20D (they are the same form factor) along with a K200D. I'm not sure if the K200D feels the same as a K100D (I believe the K200D is weather sealed) but probably a similar size.

For some people, size matters . . .
04-28-2010, 07:34 PM   #19
Veteran Member

K10d and K200d. Which would you choose if you wanted clean low light photos? I leaning towards those two.
First, I assume you're looking at getting these used, as both have been discontinued for at least a year or more?

They have the same same sensor, but the k200D has different image processing internally that does give it better high ISO images, whether shooting RAW or JPEG. The difference is actually bigger than I initially assumed.

As for the second wheel, I've never had one, so I can't say, but it's not like using one wheel is hard.

04-28-2010, 07:50 PM   #20
Veteran Member

iClick, awhile back I was in a similar situation. Had Minolta film gear and wanting to get a dslr but my lenses were useless. So, I decided on a used K200D (mostly based on PF info and money) and have not been disappointed with Pentax.

I agree with jeffJS, "Bottom line is this. You can go nutz trying not to make the Wrong decision. I don't think there is one in the case of Pentax DSLRs."

Good luck in your decision.
04-30-2010, 07:52 AM   #21
Forum Member

Original Poster
What do you guys think about the K2000?
04-30-2010, 08:50 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Morning Click,

You have received some great information already. I see you are in Las Vegas. You have a Fry's Electronics there - they should carry the KX and K7. I would swing by and hold them to see what you like. The other idea is to call around to a couple of pawn shops in the vegas area to see if anyone has Pentax DSLRs. Someone probably does, so go over there and hold them to see what you like best. This link is a bit old but may help...
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/other-pentax-related-topics/44264-where-b...las-vegas.html
You might have answered this indirectly already - does the camera body size matter? You are already talking about a grip, so maybe it does not matter.

The K100, K2000/KM and the KX do not have grips

The K10, K20, and K7 have grips

Off hand I can't remember about the K200 - although I don't think so.

The smallest body is the KX and the larger bodies are the K10 and K20.

The Entry level sequence of bodies is:
K100 - K100S - K200 - KM/K2000 - KX

The ProConsumer sequence of bodies is:
K10 - K20 - K7

All the models regardless will do low light, it all comes back to how steady the camera is (and how long the shutter is open). IS will help handheld up to a point. Increasing ISO (sensor's light sensitively), however with increased noise will also help handheld. If you want the cleanest images with the lowest ambient light, its ISO 100 and a tripod. If you want to add light - you need to add a flash.

For general photography, it is going to be difficult to make a bad decision with Pentax. If your needs are not absolutely immediate, I would watch the marketplace here on the forum for the bodies that you are interested in. The equipment appears to be well cared for. In the last month I have seen K10, K20, K7, Kx, K200 and K100 offered.

For handheld, ambient low light, I would get a KX. I do not know that you can go wrong with it. The lowest price for new I see right now is $470.....

Pentax K-x Digital SLR Camera (Body Only - Black)
hope that helps...

04-30-2010, 10:09 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I use a K100D and a K10D. Lack of second wheel on the K100D is not a big issue for me.
04-30-2010, 10:38 AM   #24
Veteran Member

OK editing does not seem to work at this moment so the addition to above

What is a bit of an (personal) issue however is the switching between spot, center weight and matrix light metering. The K10D has a switch for this while it's hidden in the menus in the K100D.
04-30-2010, 08:48 PM   #25
Veteran Member

What do you guys think about the K2000?
Inferior in almost every possible way to the other options being considered.
04-30-2010, 09:52 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
You can buy the K-x for under $600

I just place my order 10 minutes ago for the 2 lenss kit for $750 CDN
iClick,

If I were in your shoes with your budget, this is exactly what I would do.

Rob
05-01-2010, 07:34 PM   #27
Forum Member

Original Poster
Just ordered a K200d. Can't wait till it comes in! Thanks everyone for your valuable input. What flash would I need for it? And any lens recommendation for my future system growth would be greatly appreciated.
05-03-2010, 11:53 AM   #28
Forum Member

Pentax kit lens are great for a cheap price. Play around with a 18-55mm and find what focal lengths you like. Eventually you will probably want to get a fast 50mm and a wide angle.
05-03-2010, 12:04 PM   #29
Pentaxian

I can only say two things about Sony cameras. The first is that their lenses are REALLY expensive.

The second relates to a personal experience. I was in New York and asked a man with a Sony DSLR to take a picture of my wife and I. He took my K20D, lifted it to his eye, half-pressed... then took the camera down, looked at it curiously for a few seconds, put it back to his eye, and took the picture. He then told me that he had never handled a camera that "felt" so great, that seemed so bright (viewfinder) and that was so impressive just to manipulate.

He then asked me to take a similar picture of him and his wife with his own Sony. The camera felt like plastic, it creaked in my hands, the viewfinder was dim, the display and AF points were hard to see. I did NOT like it.

My wife had a similar experience with a woman and her Rebel.
05-04-2010, 01:04 AM   #30
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yoshizuki Quote
Eventually you will probably want to get a fast 50mm and a wide angle.
I have a SMC Pentax-A 1.4 50mm lens from and old film camera. I also have a Sigma 3.5-4.5 35-135mm zoom. How will these work with the K200D?

What kind of wide angle do you recommend?