Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2007, 04:59 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Since I'm always ready to learn

QuoteOriginally posted by Ivan Glisin Quote
I don't see any problem here, they are all perfectly exposed -- average gray, exactly as it should be. But they just do not look right since camera has reduced the scene to average gray and that does not exactly match your experience. That's what exposure compensation is for.

To better understand what I mean try this: in P mode and any metering mode with AF off (since sharpness it is not important here) take two pictures from a close distance (to fill the frame with a single color) of one black and one white t-shirt, cloth, towel, or any other non-reflective surface. Do not compensate, allow camera to set aperture and shutter speed automatically.

I guarantee you'll be surprised by the result! (You may even think that your camera is broken or that you did something wrong.) Rest assured, everything works as designed. Try this with Canon and Nikon if you wish, or buy a $30,000 digital Hasselblad and you'll get the same result. This can help you understand what had happened with your shots and how to do it better next time.
I'm not sure this one is in any way a "normal" 12% (yes not 18%) grey exposure, though it could be a matrix metering thing. Since monitors can lie (but numbers are somewhat stable)
I tend to use histograms/eyedroppers to confirm what I see. This histogram from this photo is not a happy one....as to the others, I've already thrown my 2 cents in. As a side note I've got those type of exposures w/ my D and did not consider them too unusual, though at times annoying and actualy unexplainable except to center weighted metering being tooo centerweighted. SEE second image..
Note 2: I like them this way, a lot of headroom to adjust, though some worry about noisy shadows and prefer to expose to the right. Someday I'll do it right........

Last edited by jeffkrol; 07-27-2007 at 05:24 PM.
07-27-2007, 08:07 PM   #17
Veteran Member

As to the second picture - Despite the rest of the picture being dark, the sky is still totally blown from overexposure. It's not a very large chunk of sky, but it might have been enough to throw off the meter.
07-27-2007, 11:10 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
I'm not sure this one is in any way a "normal" 12% (yes not 18%) grey exposure, though it could be a matrix metering thing.
I think it is. I personally never use matrix metering for two reasons: (1) in general, as a photographer I have no clue what part of the scene is metered by what "cell" in that matrix nor how are all those readings incorporated into a final exposure parameters -- to me it's like a form of gambling and of course the house almost always wins; (2) it appears that Pentax matrix metering is extremely conservative, always pushing everything down unnecessarily at even a hint of highlights anywhere in the scene usually leaving that unused "gap" on the right of the histogram.

I personally use spot meter in manual mode most of the time and I am getting absolutely predictable results with no need to check histogram at all. However, for my style of photography I usually have 5 seconds to do all I have to do in M mode using spot meter mode. This may not work for everyone.
07-28-2007, 12:39 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Stop bashing Multi-segment metering

I use it almost exclusively and I can assure you 100% that it doesn't underexpose like this. Such small parts of highlights on the edge of frame like in "table" picture in no way will fool Multi-segment metering. It's much more robust.

In fact K10D tends to overexpose when multi-segment metering is used.

My theory is that either spot metering is used and most often he manages to meter of white subjects or negative EV is dialed in or exposure system is broken and camera needs to be replaced.

07-28-2007, 08:29 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Such small parts of highlights on the edge of frame like in "table" picture in no way will fool Multi-segment metering. It's much more robust.
Of course. That part was actually not in my comment (somebody else have said that). Small white part is like under 5% of the top "wide" metering cell and I agree it can not affect metering.

QuoteQuote:
In fact K10D tends to overexpose when multi-segment metering is used.
Perhaps I should have specified that I have *istDS. There could be differences.

QuoteQuote:
My theory is that either spot metering is used and most often he manages to meter of white subjects
This could be true -- spot metering in auto mode. But, no EXIF provided so we can just keep guessing.
07-29-2007, 07:00 AM   #21
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Pentax - dark pictures

Please see the details re my three pictures below:

#1 piture (bird):
Lens: Tamron, 100-300mm, 1:5-6.3
Focal length: 300mm
Shutter speed: 1/750sec
Aperture: F13
Capture mode: Green Mode
Metering mode: Spot metering
White balance: automatic
Sensitivity: 100

#2 picture (garden party):
Lens: Pentax SMC, 18-55mm, 1:3.5-5.6
Focal length: 20mm
Shutter speed: 1/125sec
Aperture: F6.7
Metering mode: Center-weighted
White ba;lance: automatic

#3 picture (snow):
Focal length: 23mm
Shutter speed: 1/1000sec
Aperture: F9.5

As you can see first picture was taken with spot metering, the other two with center-weighted metering. The only comon setting of these three pictures is the Green Mode. Don't you think that Green Mode should handle at least the light-related setting such as the correct aperture and shutter speed in order to avoid the under or overexposure? I was alsotaking pictures with built-in flash in the party room with very low light. The results were terrible with almost all pictures too dark. When I compared them with my friend's pictures taken with his Minolta SLR, the difference was evident. I just want to be sure if this is just a problem of camera settings not a technical problem with the camera.

Thank you for all your examples and suggestions. I installed the new firmware, will play with EV compensation and multi-segmented metering. Let me know if you have any other suggestion.
07-29-2007, 08:02 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Perhaps this would help

One of my recent posts, apparently helpful to many people:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-processing-software/6578-k10d-photo-...html#post54149

The only preconception you'll have to let go here is that camera can take good pictures for you (technically speaking). That's not the case: YOU have to take good pictures, camera is just programmed to give you a starting point, but from there you'll have to take over and finish the job. Thus, you'll have to learn that BOTH your camera and you have to work TOGETHER in order to get good results.

Please do not hesitate to ask additional questions.
07-29-2007, 11:52 AM   #23

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Maros Quote
Please see the details re my three pictures below:

#1 piture (bird):
Lens: Tamron, 100-300mm, 1:5-6.3
Focal length: 300mm
Shutter speed: 1/750sec
Aperture: F13
Metering mode: Spot metering
White balance: automatic

#2 picture (garden party):
Focal length: 20mm
Shutter speed: 1/125sec
Aperture: F6.7

#3 picture (snow):
Focal length: 23mm
Shutter speed: 1/1000sec
Aperture: F9.5

As you can see first picture was taken with spot metering, the other two with center-weighted metering. The only comon setting of these three pictures is the Green Mode. Don't you think that Green Mode should handle at least the light-related setting such as the correct aperture and shutter speed in order to avoid the under or overexposure? I was alsotaking pictures with built-in flash in the party room with very low light. The results were terrible with almost all pictures too dark. When I compared them with my friend's pictures taken with his Minolta SLR, the difference was evident. I just want to be sure if this is just a problem of camera settings not a technical problem with the camera.

Thank you for all your examples and suggestions. I installed the new firmware, will play with EV compensation and multi-segmented metering. Let me know if you have any other suggestion.
It looks like you definately underexposed the first and third shots. Probably the second as well if it was even slightly overcast.

I'm sorry but I am not accustomed to these fancy digital camera meters. I usually just check the meter in my K1000 and then over or under compensate depending on what I think the meter is reading.