Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2010, 12:50 PM   #1

K-7 dim viewfinder data

I wear glasses and am having a hard time seeing the camera setting display inside the viewfinder, outdoors in sunny conditions. Is there a way to brighten this display? I'm old school and can't get used to looking at the top LCD display for the needed info.

04-28-2010, 01:04 PM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photoholic Quote
I wear glasses and am having a hard time seeing the camera setting display inside the viewfinder, outdoors in sunny conditions. Is there a way to brighten this display? I'm old school and can't get used to looking at the top LCD display for the needed info.
Don't think so, unfortunately. Maybe one of those eyecup or magnification thingies might help?
04-28-2010, 02:24 PM - 1 Like   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you wear your glasses when you look at the view finder ?

The K-7 has a diopter adjustemnt lever just above the viewfinder that is designed for people wearing glasses. You must remove your glasses, and adust the diopter lever to get the best view. See K-7 Instruction manual p. 55.

Hope that the suggestion may help...
04-28-2010, 02:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

This happens on my Kx and K7 and I guess on petty much any DSLR when wearing glasses. The light is actually coming from the side and that looses the contrast in the viewfinder. I end up cupping my hand around the side of my glasses area to shut the side light out.

I have tried not using my glasses which cuts down the sidelight some but not all. Not sure there is a solution to this but maybe glasses with wide side arms that cut down on side light might help.

04-28-2010, 02:38 PM   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I can't personally vouch for it, but might this thing not help?

The Camera Hunter: Pentax Eye Cup
04-28-2010, 02:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
Don't think so, unfortunately. Maybe one of those eyecup or magnification thingies might help?
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
Do you wear your glasses when you look at the view finder ?

The K-7 has a diopter adjustemnt lever just above the viewfinder that is designed for people wearing glasses. You must remove your glasses, and adust the diopter lever to get the best view. See K-7 Instruction manual p. 55.

Hope that the suggestion may help...
QuoteOriginally posted by telfish Quote
This happens on my Kx and K7 and I guess on petty much any DSLR when wearing glasses. The light is actually coming from the side and that looses the contrast in the viewfinder. I end up cupping my hand around the side of my glasses area to shut the side light out.

I have tried not using my glasses which cuts down the sidelight some but not all. Not sure there is a solution to this but maybe glasses with wide side arms that cut down on side light might help.
This last weekend I was using contact lenses and I did felt the same problem. I could not read anything from the K-7 viewfinder display. That's nothing to do with spectacles. That is really a bad design there. I never felt that problem with my K10 even using glasses.

Rui
04-28-2010, 05:42 PM   #7
Forum Member

This problem started when all cameras started putting digital information on the screens. My old Pentax ME had big bright viewfinder.
04-28-2010, 06:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

First off, it doesn't make sense to compare viewfinders between 35mm film cameras and APS-C cameras (which have a smaller sensor size and corresponding viewfinder).
It ain't an equivalent comparison.

Now one issue that may account for difficulty seeing the viewfinder readout is the K-7's lower viewfinder magnification. Using a magnifying eyepiece will improve the view projected by the focusing screen but at the expense of a narrower field of view, which means having to move the eye around to view the readout at the bottom of the screen.

But whether older 35mm film or current DSLRs, if the ambient light is exceedingly bright (bright sunny conditions), it may be difficult for our eyes to make out the viewfinder readout. Nothing to do with the camera but with our less than perfect eyes, so I'd seriously question anyone's claims that the problem is with the camera.

04-28-2010, 06:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I had the same problem and getting a nice big eyecup has fixed it completely.
04-29-2010, 12:29 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. I'll first try the "no glasses" approach. but to be honest the idea of taking them off then back on (and possibly loosing them) doesn't seem efficient. The eye cup may work but aren't they designed for those lucky few with near 20/20?
To Creampuff; cool your jets! We aren't compairing film to DLSR. Just asking if there is a way to brighten up that data. There are probably more people with "less than perfect eyes" than those with. We aren't implying its a problem with the specific camera, maybe just this design. Don't you think the design engineers would consider us bespectacled users and make allowances?
04-29-2010, 04:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Thanks everyone. I'll first try the "no glasses" approach. but to be honest the idea of taking them off then back on (and possibly loosing them) doesn't seem efficient. The eye cup may work but aren't they designed for those lucky few with near 20/20?
To Creampuff; cool your jets! We aren't compairing film to DLSR. Just asking if there is a way to brighten up that data. There are probably more people with "less than perfect eyes" than those with. We aren't implying its a problem with the specific camera, maybe just this design. Don't you think the design engineers would consider us bespectacled users and make allowances?
I'm far from 20/20. More like -3.5 here in each eye with an astigmatism in one eye. Eyecups are a god send under sunny skies. My eyecup came with the Tenpa 1.2x magnifier, which helps both to magnify the viewfinder and to block out the sun's rays.