Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2010, 02:30 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
ADVICE NEEDED: Background noise with Pentax K-x Video

I just got HD video going past the one minute barrier with my Pentax K-x and now want to focus on a different problem with this camera. That problem deals with the background noise that automatically exists with each video. This happened with both the 8GB Sandisk Extreme II SDHC card and the 16GB A-DATA Turbo SDHC (not recommended for HD Video). The noise, I think, is generated by the camera itself and I can't seem to shake it. I know it's probably better to use my external recorder and then sync it up later with premiere, but I was hoping to hear back from other K-X users to see if I'm not the only one with this problem.

04-28-2010, 04:43 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you referring to sensor noise or audio noise?
04-28-2010, 04:57 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As previous post asks.
If its audio, it could be that the SR (shake reduction) is turned on which makes a racket (but great if audio is not important).
04-28-2010, 10:13 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Ned Bunnel mentioned this in his blog around the time the K7 was introduced.
Apparently, the shake reduction is the culprit, and unfortunately, it cannot be turned off.
You might want to consider an external mike that mounts on the hot shoe.

04-29-2010, 06:11 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. I never really thought that SR would be the culprit, but it seems like from your posts that it is. I haven't heard of an external mounted mic for the k-x yet, but it sounds too expensive for my taste. Already spent enough money from all the goodies I heard about on this site. When I get back home, I'll see what I can do to find a cheap alternative. I do have my portable digital recorder, so maybe I'll just keep that one in my bag once (grad) school ends for the summer.
04-29-2010, 09:56 AM   #6
Veteran Member

K-x doesn't support an external mic. (K-7 does)
04-29-2010, 10:15 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Ned Bunnel mentioned this in his blog around the time the K7 was introduced.
Apparently, the shake reduction is the culprit, and unfortunately, it cannot be turned off.
You might want to consider an external mike that mounts on the hot shoe.
Not sure on the K7 but on the Kx, one can turn off Shake Reduction in movie mode. In fact, by default SR is off for movies and you have to go to the menus to turn it on.

04-29-2010, 05:35 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by taurus9 Quote
Not sure on the K7 but on the Kx, one can turn off Shake Reduction in movie mode. In fact, by default SR is off for movies and you have to go to the menus to turn it on.
I've just checked out all the suggestions and found out that there are two methods of Shake Reduction (photos and movie). I took both of them off and found out that the audio noise is softened a lot. I can still hear the audio noise, which is now bearable, but still there. I'm going to try and see if it's the playback speakers soon when I upload it to my computer.
04-29-2010, 05:44 PM   #9

Original Poster
I just checked my videos and it sounds fine on the computer. Thanks for the help everyone.
04-29-2010, 05:53 PM   #10

Original Poster
Quick question: Is noise reduction activated when using HD video on the K-x?
04-30-2010, 09:00 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by taurus9 Quote
Any Pentax with SR can have the SR disabled, but the mechanism is still in place and operating, except that instead of moving the sensor around it is keeping it stationary.
I believe the noise that the microphone is picking up is the buzz from the magnets, which are operating whether SR is turned on or not.