Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2010, 05:34 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Noise reduction settings

I recently downloaded Photome and while looking through the exif data on my photos, I notice that every jpg indicates noise reduction is turned off, even on some rather high iso ones, i.e, 1600 on the K20d, 6400 on the Kx. On the K20d, I have slow shutter speed nr set to auto (the default setting) and high iso nr set to weak. On the Kx, slow shutter speed is set to "on", high iso set at 800, which are both the camera defaults. Does anyone know why the exif is showing noise reduction is off? I thought perhaps something wasn't working on the Kx, but when I saw the same thing with my K20d, I'm wondering if it's the Photome application itself, or is there something else I need to be doing to activate the noise reduction?

04-28-2010, 05:56 PM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On the kx, there's a menu function where you tell it at exactly what ISO you want it to turn on at, if at all. It has nothing to do with low shutter speed. Go to:

Custom Menu 3, #15, and pick the ISO you want NR to kick in at.

#14 lets you select the LEVEL of that NR.

The low shutter speed ISO NR setting affects something totally different, like if you're doing B shots of seconds or minutes, and I have no idea how that works.

And FYI, whether you like it or not, in JPEG mode, NR kicks in at, I think, 3200 on the kx. Not sure about the number.

Last edited by Ira; 04-28-2010 at 06:02 PM.
04-29-2010, 06:36 AM   #3

Original Poster
Ira,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. However, as I stated in my post, the camera is set at "medium" noise reduction beginning at iso 800. The exif data on my jpgs, even at iso 6400, all say "noise reduction off". In other words, no matter what I have those Custom settings at, the exif indicates NR is off. So I'm just wondering if Photome is not showing this correctly, or my cameras are not working correctly. Is there another program that can check this data?
04-29-2010, 09:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Just curious (semi-related) - does the K-x do forced auto-DFS like the K20D and K-7?

04-29-2010, 10:48 AM   #5
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwibird Quote
Ira,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. However, as I stated in my post, the camera is set at "medium" noise reduction beginning at iso 800. The exif data on my jpgs, even at iso 6400, all say "noise reduction off". In other words, no matter what I have those Custom settings at, the exif indicates NR is off. So I'm just wondering if Photome is not showing this correctly, or my cameras are not working correctly. Is there another program that can check this data?
Ooops.

What does the Pentax Utility program say?
04-29-2010, 10:48 AM   #6
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote
Just curious (semi-related) - does the K-x do forced auto-DFS like the K20D and K-7?
What's DFS?
04-30-2010, 09:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Dark fram esubtraction, aka low shutter speed NR. The thing where at slow shutter speed (like more than second), the camwera takes a second picture with the shutter closed after every shot and uses that to help removes noise.