Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2010, 06:11 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
split image focus screen for K200?

Having wonky eyes I sometimes have trouble manual focusing. eBay has a Travor double 45deg split image focus screenfor K200D etc with tweezers for installing.
http://www.tinyurl.com.au/6js
Guidance please whether this is a good thing to do to my camera and how clever I have to be to do the job. I'm pretty good with small things and have been inside cameras before. They still work, but I admit to being a bit of a hack!

04-28-2010, 06:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Not a fan of the travors since their quality tend to suck. They all have these pale dots on them, I ended up returning mine. You also need hard to find shims with the Travor ones.

I'm trying my JinFinance screens now but I think I'm going to move on to Focusingscreens.com and eventually Katzeye with optibrite.
04-29-2010, 01:18 AM   #3

I tried a JinFinance but it wasn't good at all. I probably could have had it replaced, I think there was something wrong with it, but I decided to go with Katzeye instead. It was expensive, but it was worth it!
04-29-2010, 02:28 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
Not a fan of the travors since their quality tend to suck. They all have these pale dots on them, I ended up returning mine. You also need hard to find shims with the Travor ones.

I'm trying my JinFinance screens now but I think I'm going to move on to Focusingscreens.com and eventually Katzeye with optibrite.
Thank you hangu. I thought it was a bit cheap. Katzeye it will be. Not too tricky to install?

04-29-2010, 04:42 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Cosmicap,
Be aware that regardless of what screen you get, you may need an adjustment.
I had k200 and got the Katzeye screen. I found out that the focus was off, so I had to change shims that go under the screen. Thanks a lot for the great support from the owner Ms. Katz.
I don't remember the details but you can search: there're several threads covering this topic.
Good luck,
04-29-2010, 05:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cosmicap Quote
Thank you hangu. I thought it was a bit cheap. Katzeye it will be. Not too tricky to install?
It's a bit tricky actually and you have to be careful to not scratch anything.

In all honesty, I know Katzeye is the best but there's no reason for them to charge $100-$150 for a small piece of glass. That's robbery. I think Focusingscreens.com is the best at $50-70, they make their screens from ones taken from old SLR bodies, so the quality is top notch.

So far I'm enjoying my JinFinance screen, but like all focusing screens, it blacks out in dimly lit conditions. I know Katzeye's optibrite gives it a 1-2 stop advantage before blackout, so I just might get one someday.