Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2010, 12:53 AM   #1

Flash for K100D

I am happy to be back in the world of SLR, after my P30n many years ago I spent some years with compact and prosumer digitals, but of course compared to a P30n the facilities on a K100D are quite involved and I find choosing the flash unit a bit complicated and I'm not sure if some of the terminology is new since the 35mm days or if I've just forgotten.

I understand that the AF360 and AF540 work fully dedicated with the K100D and that almost any flash can be used in fully manual mode. But many I see say they will work to some extent but not in TTL mode, the AF integration may or may not work etc.

But the compatibility is all to do with features I didn't have in the film days. In short, as I'm almost out of budget, can anyone recommend any affordable flash units that will work well with the K100D that doesn't cost so much as the the Af360 or AF540 and if so what impact any lack of integration will have ?

Or really do I just need to resign myself to the need to save up and get an AF540 ?

Frosty

04-29-2010, 01:17 AM   #2

Location: N/E Victoria, Australia, on the mighty Murray River.
Photos: Albums
Have a look at the Metz Mecablits 48 AF-1 & the 58 AF-1. I recently got the 48 for my K20D and am very happy with it although I don't have much experience with using flash at the moment. Well worth a look and not as expensive as similar flashes of other brands.
04-29-2010, 01:30 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ozzi-paul Quote
Have a look at the Metz Mecablits 48 AF-1 & the 58 AF-1. I recently got the 48 for my K20D and am very happy with it although I don't have much experience with using flash at the moment. Well worth a look and not as expensive as similar flashes of other brands.
Thanks for that, but from a quick search it looks like the price isn't that much different from the Pentax AF360/540.......
04-29-2010, 02:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Find yourself a used AF280T. The TTL isn't compatible with the K100D's P-TTL, but the auto sensor works just dandy and you should be able to find one at a reasonable price.

04-29-2010, 02:31 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Find yourself a used AF280T. The TTL isn't compatible with the K100D's P-TTL, but the auto sensor works just dandy and you should be able to find one at a reasonable price.
Thanks, so using the AF280T am I right in thinking there is no specific integration in how it works with the K100D, would I use the camera in manual mide to set the apeture and let the flash control the exposure ?
04-29-2010, 02:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did you have a flash with your P30n? And if so, do you still have it? If so, it will probably work as a non-dedicated flash. Just be aware of trigger voltages.
04-29-2010, 03:11 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Did you have a flash with your P30n? And if so, do you still have it? If so, it will probably work as a non-dedicated flash. Just be aware of trigger voltages.
Yes I did but I got rid of it a while ago during my "prosumer" era when I was having an eBay clearout ! :-( Still have the P30n however with a 28-80mm Tamron lens, would that work on the K100D albeit manually ? Is the basic mount still the same nowadays ?
04-29-2010, 08:19 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Yep
any lens made for Pentax cameras will still fit and work

PS just a note of caution
make sure that it does not have the infamous Ricoh pin as it might get stuck (check the forums)

04-29-2010, 10:16 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Yep
any lens made for Pentax cameras will still fit and work

PS just a note of caution
make sure that it does not have the infamous Ricoh pin as it might get stuck (check the forums)

Thanks ! I'm not sure ehat the Ricoh pin thing is but I will take a look in the forum as you suggest, thanks !
04-29-2010, 10:38 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frosty Quote
Thanks ! I'm not sure ehat the Ricoh pin thing is but I will take a look in the forum as you suggest, thanks !
Ricoh used the K mount for their lenses, but there is a data pin that can get stuck when mounting or dismounting the lens on Pentax bodies. IFAIK, it's only on Rikenon P lenses. That is their version of the Pentax A lens.

I have 2 Rikenon P lenses and I've never had a problem with them, but others have had big problems with them.
04-29-2010, 01:36 PM   #11

Flash for K100D

Regarding a suitable flash: If you are really strapped for cash, remember that a automatic thyristor flash with a safe trigger voltage will also work with the K100D, and can be had quite cheaply. I use a Sunpak 383 which I bought for $79 dollars from B&H. I think it is out of production, but similar units are available. Like in the film days you set the f-stop on the flash unit and on the camera. No other automation though. Also keep in mind the ability for the flash head to tilt and swivel, whichever flash unit you settle for.

Regards

Maurits