Not much to ask

I want it all!!!

Plus:

- Solid GOLD body for better resale value
- $10 for every picture I take with it
- Built-in Tripod that folds up into the camera body
- Built-in photo development lab - up to A3 size
- No increase in weight, size or price over the current K10D

Surely that is not too much to ask.........

To be honest I really like the K10D the way it is, I just did not want to be left out of yet another wish-list post.

Oh! I forgot to mention the 36" flat panel TV and surround sound system and.........

07-27-2007, 03:57 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery
K100D + ucrippled mount - less noise + split focussing screen + optional removable vertical battery grip +larger buffer(at least 5fps@raw)

Oh, and almost forgot + button "masterpiece"
07-27-2007, 05:22 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, very little consensus so far. At first glance, without an exhaustive count, focus assist, higher ISO, less image noise at higher ISO settings, full time ISO display, and various refinements to WB, all seem to be leading the pack.

Two of my favorites, flash sync speed & PC flash connector, haven't received a single mention by anyone else. Which, of course, means I'm entirely crushed.

stewart
07-27-2007, 05:37 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxographer Quote
Where does this wish list become unrealistic and lean more for pro gear? (snip)
I feel the K10D already is "pro" gear. If it's used by a pro, it's pro gear. Regardless of semantics, a higher end camera is supposedly in the works at Pentax. Or at least thats what company executives talked about earlier this year. It might be interesting to see how much the K10D wishlist changes after that camera is released.

stewart

07-27-2007, 05:48 AM   #20
Inactive Account

To "jms698" re:

QuoteQuote:
1st: super silent mode - where the mirror slap is dampened to the point of being almost completely inaudible (how hard can it be to have the mirror slap into a piece of foam?
Nice idea, but what happens 5 years down the line when that pesky piece of dampening material starts disintegrating and showering the sensor with irritating little bits of foam, which the DR mechanism then redistributes around the the light chamber ??????
ad infinitum.....

Last edited by Confused; 07-27-2007 at 05:57 AM.
07-27-2007, 06:10 AM   #21

Well I would like to see the following in the replacement of the K10D:

- Flash X contact
- Higher Dynamic Range
- Bigger buffer, minimal 22 RAW's to be on par with the D200
- Better high ISO performance
- Dedicated WB button

For the Pro model I would like to see the following extra's to the K10D:

- Flash X contact
- Higher Dynamic Range
- Bigger buffer, minimal 22 to be on par with the D2Xs and D200 or even better 30 to be on par with de 1DIII
- Better High ISO performance
- High ISO 3200 without much noise and ISO 6400 option
- Dedicated WB button
- Better AutoWB
- Higher resolution like 12 or 14 MP
- Dedicated AutoFocus light
- Built-in Flash to control external Flashes High Speed
- Higher FPS like 8 FPS to be on par with the higher end Canon and Nikon's
- Bigger Viewfinder, 100% coverage
- Timelapse recording without pc
- Better metering more acurate
- Better AutoFocus system, 45 points ? Like Canon in their High End bodies.
- Higher max shutterspeed something like 1/8000
- Dual memory, CF and SD.
- Built-in Grip with a lot of buttons Like a AF button and WB button.

But there is not only a need for new bodies, Pentax is in the need for lenses, much lenses !
And more accessories like better Flashes(the 540FGZ is a bit flimsy build I have one )

And also not only new lenses,bodies and accessories are needed, Pentax needs a Pro service like NPS and CPS from Nikon and Canon.
07-27-2007, 06:42 AM   #22
Inactive Account

Just a couple, not greedy

1: Adding on the top panel LCD a pictographic representation of the WB mode, then;

RAW+Green Button= what we currently have with the RAW button
RAW+Front Dial=Change drive mode
RAW+Rear Dial= Change WB settings

2: another feature i would is to be able to switch between shots taken and shot remaining display.

3: Make it that turning the DoF switch does a DoF preview, but when holding the Green button does a Digital Preview.

4: Flash button plus front dial Flash exposure compensation, Rear dial flash mode.

5: Finally on the top panel LCD have another battery indicator, this one vertical on the edge to demonstrate that it is the battery in the body and an indicator to show which battery is being drained, then hold down the Fn button and the front dial to change batteries.
07-27-2007, 07:05 AM   #23
wll
Veteran Member

Wish list for Replacement K10D, Not The New K1D

1) Better Dynamic Range
2) Better High ISO (a usable 3200)
3) Shutter Speed, ISO and Aperture visable in Viewfinder
4) Second Generation SR
5) Improved JPG with adjustable edge sharpness to personal taste
6) Bigger Buffer
7) x-sync
8) Tethering
9) Tripod Socket Directly Under lens (they may not due this as Pentax may use the same Battery Grip)
10) Improved White Balance
11) Improved low light focusing
12) Last but not least the new 12mp sensor to keep up with the Jones's

These are for the new K10D replacement and not the K1D. The K1D would need other improvments that I will put in another post.

These are all do-able and not pie in the sky ... We will see what Pentax has up their sleeve.

wll

07-27-2007, 08:13 AM   #24

The first thing I want is a better shutter/mirror mechanism. The *istD did quite well, but every Pentax DSLR since has had a mirror that is clunky and just plain poor feeling. I used to feel that I lost a stop of handholdability between my *istDS and my *istD. The K10D is better than the DS, but not much.

I would also like to have the four way controller shifted so that it is more easily reached by my thumb when using the grip. As it is, I can't comfortably select focus points when the grip is on and I am in portrait orientation. My hands aren't huge, but not tiny either, so I think others must have this issue.

Dual SD cards would be cool, especially if you could choose how they are used; sequentially, one for RAW, one for jpg, etc.

I have mentioned this in the past and still hold out hope that it could happen. I would love to see Pentax come out with RF TTL control. It would be so great to be able to have wireless flash on sunny days with TTL control. On sunny days, the wireless doesn't really work, as the light from the flash can't compete with sunlight. I want pocket wizards built in, but PWs which can communicate with each other for TTL control. This would require new flashes or some sort of add on toe existing flashes, but it would be something unique to Pentax and it really could give them a competitive advantage. Wedding shooters for example would love this.

I want a bigger sensor with no more pixels. 10mp is plenty, but I would prefer it was spread over a 1.3x sensor. Lower noise, greater detail are the obvious benefits.
07-27-2007, 08:40 AM   #25
and
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Darren M Quote
The first thing I want is a better shutter/mirror mechanism. The *istD did quite well, but every Pentax DSLR since has had a mirror that is clunky and just plain poor feeling. I used to feel that I lost a stop of handholdability between my *istDS and my *istD. The K10D is better than the DS, but not much.
yea, the ds is really clunky, k10d better yes. I heard the fuji s5 shutter at bic camera in osaka and it sounded....cool The whisper mode of 1d mk3 should be quiet too. its not a big thing for me, at least with the k10d, but it is one of those small things that contributes to the feel of using the camera imo.

QuoteOriginally posted by Darren M Quote
I want a bigger sensor with no more pixels. 10mp is plenty, but I would prefer it was spread over a 1.3x sensor. Lower noise, greater detail are the obvious benefits.
amen, lets steal canons schematics for their 1d mk3 sensor to get that high iso performance and the higher bitrate raw files. (dont care about the 10fps).
07-27-2007, 08:41 AM   #26
Site Supporter

I might as well chime in here..

Here is what i would like.
1. Built in grip with the tripod mount correctly aligned.
2. A larger sensor, but not necessarily more pixels.
3. Lover ISO 50 would do, but 25 would be excellent.
4. improoved shutter, faster flash sync and 1/8000 max speed without flash.
5. larger viewfinder. (and yes you can skip the onboard flash to make it fit).

If it means a bigger more rugged body, then I am only happy about it, just do not make it smaller than the K10D with grip.

That said I like my K10D a lot. and most of these wishes are perhaps more likely to be in a model above, but mywishlist none the less.
07-27-2007, 09:03 AM   #27
and
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Duplo Quote
Here is what i would like.
5. larger viewfinder. (and yes you can skip the onboard flash to make it fit).
have you guys thought of this... if a higher end model is not going to have built in flash, then you cant use it as a wireless trigger for the 360 and 540... that would be a pity to loose that feature and youd have to buy an extra flash just to use as a trigger.

ideally they would create an rf system with the controller built into the body and the ability to control ratios on all flashes from the body, actually should be too advanced to impliment, just need to create a protocol that runs over rf and then you can access all the commands on the flash.

pw's seem very nice, although toooooo expensive, 180 dollars per unit and u need at least two. and they can only trigger, they cant change the flash settings.I guess the difficult part would be to get the syncing right, thats hard, but the control over settings part is easy.

oh, and yea, the 360 and 540 are relatively new so i doubt they will change their flash system already, unfortunatley...

Last edited by and; 07-27-2007 at 09:04 AM. Reason: addition
07-27-2007, 10:06 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Just my personal wish-list:

1) A quieter, better dampened shutter sound. Too many critters take flight when I'm up close and the shutter sound occurs
2) 4 or 5 fps. 3 is good, but sometimes in a sequence of action photos, the best shot would have been between the frames I've captured. I've got no need for 10 fps though.
3) Two separate SD card slots or an SD & CF card slot as I usually end up having to change cards when something really good is happening. Either that or one SD slot and about a gig of internal memory.
4) Ergonomics: A more pronounced grip than we have so far. Also, a bit more slant to the top plate by the shutter release.
5) the 4-way controller could be moved down and to the right. As one who shoots with the left eye, my nose can accidentally move the focus point. Also, it's too far away when using the grip to quickly change focus points unless you have a very talented forehead or longer thumbs than I have.

Lastly, concerning accessories:
-A battery pack that could be worn on your belt/under a jacket which would attach to the camera via a cable & grip for keeping your battery(ies) warm in really cold weather shooting.
07-27-2007, 10:09 AM   #29
Veteran Member

oh yeah, i forgot to add iso 50...and i agree about iso 25 but i have never used it....

what if pentax could create an entire self contained wireless lighting system with all of the radio units built in...

hmmmm

innovative...
07-27-2007, 11:37 AM   #30
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
have you guys thought of this... if a higher end model is not going to have built in flash, then you cant use it as a wireless trigger for the 360 and 540... that would be a pity to loose that feature and youd have to buy an extra flash just to use as a trigger.
Not really, at least not for my application... it is a fun gimmick, but not something that i depend on and buying another flash if it became a necessity would not be a problem. would prefer a RF system if I had to work seriously with it.
QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
ideally they would create an rf system with the controller built into the body and the ability to control ratios on all flashes from the body, actually should be too advanced to impliment, just need to create a protocol that runs over rf and then you can access all the commands on the flash.

pw's seem very nice, although toooooo expensive, 180 dollars per unit and u need at least two. and they can only trigger, they cant change the flash settings.I guess the difficult part would be to get the syncing right, thats hard, but the control over settings part is easy.

oh, and yea, the 360 and 540 are relatively new so i doubt they will change their flash system already, unfortunatley...
Yep that would be acceptable or a hot shoe mounted RF trigger.
as i said it is not really important to me.