Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2007, 03:08 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Ok, for the most part I really like the K10D, but there are some things that would just make it a bit more refined that would be a good idea.

1) 2nd SD slot. Shooting raw with PEF, you are never quite sure when youa re going to run out. having a second slot would mean when a card is full the camera could switch, and you can change the full card out without having to juggle free space.

2) multiple savable custom WB settings. If you have your own studio/mini-studio setup, you could use custom WB without tossing your fully tweaked custom settings for your environments you use regularly. The color-temp presets don't quite cut it. But those three slots as saved custom WB would be very useful.

3) Focus assist lamp. You can get a good low light focus with the camera right off the bat sometimes, but not always. The camera wouldn't be capable of better shots, but getting those better shots would be easier.

4) Fix the VPN artifacting. While you CAN shoot around that particular quirk, there are jsut some situations that reallly bring it out. IF it could be repaired, once again you'd be able to take your best shot easier and more often.

5) LENSES. Get them out the door, as a body is limited by the lens selection. Especially the HSM offerings. This camera DESPERATELY needs a fast zoom, and there really isn't one available.

07-27-2007, 03:30 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.r.brown Quote
5. WiFi for Live view
Several mentioned in other threads using Bluetooth or WiFi for live view with an external device (such as a PDA). Is this what you're talking about? Any advantage of one over the other for this purpose?

stewart
07-27-2007, 03:40 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blwnhr Quote
Also, sensor resolution is of no consequince to me, I am more than content with 10MP.

I'm fairly comfortable with 10 mp as well. At this point, I'd rather see ongoing efforts towards even higher image quality than a continuing race for more megapixels. I'd really love to see virtually noise-free images at the higher ISO settings.

stewart
07-27-2007, 04:11 PM   #34
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
Several mentioned in other threads using Bluetooth or WiFi for live view with an external device (such as a PDA). Is this what you're talking about? Any advantage of one over the other for this purpose?

stewart
I dont see any point at all in having bluetooth in there. Its way too slow and the range is limited too. WiFi there could be a use for it, but I think GPS would be a lot more usefull. If they are going to put more connectivity then firewire or ethernet would be better since its fast eanough for intensive tethering. have a look at the 1ds mk3 wifi addon, its pretty cool, with ethernet as well and it can deliver live view over ethernet and even serve images over http as far as i can remember.

Let wifi be an addon, give me gps instead, thats a neat feature to be able to go through your iamges and see where they were taken.

07-27-2007, 04:14 PM   #35
and
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raz-0 Quote
2) multiple savable custom WB settings. If you have your own studio/mini-studio setup, you could use custom WB without tossing your fully tweaked custom settings for your environments you use regularly. The color-temp presets don't quite cut it. But those three slots as saved custom WB would be very useful.
That seems like an interesting idea that could be usefull for some shooters. I dont think Ive heard this one suggested before. The pro canons cant do this? Maybe this would be one of those clever distingiushable features. Although I guess if you have user mode then that will save the WB too?? Im not sure if the current one will save the custom wb setting or not. Having multiple user modes would be neat though, there is more space on that mode wheel.
07-27-2007, 04:24 PM   #36
and
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cideway Quote
1: Adding on the top panel LCD a pictographic representation of the WB mode, then;

RAW+Green Button= what we currently have with the RAW button
RAW+Front Dial=Change drive mode
RAW+Rear Dial= Change WB settings

2: another feature i would is to be able to switch between shots taken and shot remaining display.

3: Make it that turning the DoF switch does a DoF preview, but when holding the Green button does a Digital Preview.

4: Flash button plus front dial Flash exposure compensation, Rear dial flash mode.

5: Finally on the top panel LCD have another battery indicator, this one vertical on the edge to demonstrate that it is the battery in the body and an indicator to show which battery is being drained, then hold down the Fn button and the front dial to change batteries.
These are neat ideas and most of them possible with firmware changes. for the updated model I would want to use a more acsessible button than the raw button, and then have that change wb and drive mode (configurable what u want to be able to change on what wheel) and then make it so that u can use the button as a toggle, not holding it in. press once and u will change wb and drive mode, or I would set it to change wb and iso on the wheels. and then htey need to change the viewfinder view when u are doing this so that its obvious that u are in that mode. and then maybe if u press the shutter in this mode then that will be a custom wb setting shot. well this could all be configured how u like it.
07-27-2007, 08:10 PM   #37
Veteran Member

I seem to have accidentally deleted my original post, therefore:

1) 5 FPS shooting speed or higher. I would love it if it got to within range of the Canon 1D MKII's 8.5 FPS, say 7 or 8 FPS.

2) 2 SD card slots to allow RAID 1 style backups (1 file written to both cards) or RAID 0 style file striping (file one on card A, file 2 on card B, then file 3 on card A and vice versa) for a faster buffer flush rate rate (mainly in support of wish 1 above). Mind you, this would not be true RAID 0 striping because a problem in one card could lead to complete loss of all files with RAID 0.

3) Wider dynamic range similar to or better than the Fuji S5 but with the same or better resolution than the current 10MP resolution. I guess it would need 15 MP or 10MP regular photosites & 5 MP of low range photosites.

4) Faster AF system that works even f6.3

5) 1/250 or beter flash synching even through a dedicated PC cord port.

I would mention the VPN thing, but I think that this is a bug that should be fixed with the current K10D.

07-27-2007, 08:53 PM   #38
Veteran Member

My votes having read everything so far, and keeping this as realistic as possible for a camera at the same price point as the K10D:

1. Better M42 / Manual lens light metering...in conjunction with a better stock focus screen (micro prism please!)

2. Decreased sensor noise, super-clean up to ISO800-1600. Keep it at 10mp though. I doubt a bigger sensor (+vf) would make it into this price point, so I'll leave it out.

3. Battery indicator. More bars please!

4. Add a weather seal gasket on the mount or adapter that would at least help seal legacy lenses (pre DA*)

5. Ergonomics. Just re-brand the Minolta 7D body and call it a day. Haha! But seriously, deeper grip, taller body. No need to be heavier, but a little bigger would be the cats pajamas.

I also think a WIFI / GPS vertical grip would be a great idea. That way you also get the extra batteries you'll need to run the GPS/Wifi, and still get 500+ shots out of the camera. It's win-win!
07-27-2007, 09:51 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HawaiianOnline Quote
I seem to have accidentally deleted my original post, therefore:

I was wondering where your original post was. Someone had mentioned it earlier, but I certainly couldn't find it. I thought either that person is seeing things or I'm not. Anyway, now there is an explination.

stewart
07-27-2007, 09:54 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The K10D already surpasses all wish list I could ever have imagined when I was shooting 35mm. Add more automation than we already have and the art of photography is gone.

What is fun in having a camera that does everything for you automatically? Instead of composing our photographs, we now take 500 shots of the same, hoping that one will come out good. I actually would like a DSLR that has all of the current electronics (good CCD,built-in flash, Grip), but works just like a 35mm. I wish there was no on-screen menus at all. Only real buttons and switches. In the end, there are really three elements to consider when taking a picture; Aperture, Shutter speed, Sensitivity, and maybe White Balance, but these are all of the ingredients you need to compose and take a great picture.

Go tell a painter that carefully reproduce a scene with oil paint and brushes on a canvas that there is a better way of reproducing the scene perfectly.....take a photograph of the scene. But then, where does creativity and art goes?

I think we want too much.
07-27-2007, 10:29 PM   #41
and
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by k10dbook Quote
The K10D already surpasses all wish list I could ever have imagined when I was shooting 35mm. Add more automation than we already have and the art of photography is gone.

What is fun in having a camera that does everything for you automatically? Instead of composing our photographs, we now take 500 shots of the same, hoping that one will come out good. I actually would like a DSLR that has all of the current electronics (good CCD,built-in flash, Grip), but works just like a 35mm. I wish there was no on-screen menus at all. Only real buttons and switches. In the end, there are really three elements to consider when taking a picture; Aperture, Shutter speed, Sensitivity, and maybe White Balance, but these are all of the ingredients you need to compose and take a great picture.

Go tell a painter that carefully reproduce a scene with oil paint and brushes on a canvas that there is a better way of reproducing the scene perfectly.....take a photograph of the scene. But then, where does creativity and art goes?

I think you are missing the point by a long shot here. Yea you want more buttons that do things, thats right in line with whats being said. What are you seeing in the majority of the requests that makes the setting of aperature, shutter speed, sensitivity and white balance more automatic?
07-27-2007, 10:50 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by k10dbook Quote

when im at a wedding, golf tournament, model shoot, magazine assignment, family birthday party or whatever, im not exactly wishing that i had <i>less</i> of a camera to work with. art is the composition and exposure.
When I say I'm shooting, that doesnt mean I'm playing. When I'm working I need better AF, I want gps and voice memo, want built in grip, would LOVE some built in radio flash control, need better dynamic range....
GIMME THE WORKS!!!!!

Now, when I'm downtown on the corner with the tripod making one of these:

....thats a different story (shot with ist*D)
You know, you can turn off your display......
i did it for a while as an excersize. and it really does train you. i think its time i did that again.
i just dont know if the k10d can do it...hmmmm
07-28-2007, 12:22 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Initial Count

Okay, here is the rough count so far. I'll go back over the messages again to ensure nothing was missed (message will be updated to reflect). However, please feel free to let me know if I overlooked anything you want (entirely possible since I did this at the end of a long day). If you go back over the messages and get a different count, also let me know.

Anyway, we're still some distance away from reaching a consensus, but certain things are beginning to clearly stand out.

Improved image quality (at higher ISO & other) - IIIII IIIII I
Higher ISO setting (3200, 6400) - IIIII III
Focus assist lamp/ low light focus - IIIII II
Two SD card slots - IIIII I

Fixed/Full-time ISO display - IIII
Improved dynamic range - IIII
Faster flash sync speed - IIII
Improved ergonomics (grip, buttons/knobs relocated, other) - IIII
Same resolution (10MP) - IIII
Larger/Faster Buffer - IIII
Inproved shutter/silenced mirror - IIII

Faster framerate (5fps or higher) - III
Improved battery indicator - III
PC/flash sync-x connector/socket - III
Lower ISO setting (50) - III
Improved AWB (artificial lighting & other) - III
Larger Sensor (different crop factor) - III
Button customization (green, knobs, & others) - III

WiFi for Live view - II
Savable custom WB settings - II
Improved Shake Reduction - II
Improved AF system (faster, more accurate, etc) - II
Dedicated White Balance button - II
Split-focusing screen - II
Built-in vertical grip - II
TTL Flash - II
GPS - II
Higher resolution (12MP+) - II
Multiple user modes (WB, other) - II

Improved RAW Button - I
Digital level - I
Fixed/Full-time WB display - I
Dedicated custom WB button - I
Hyperfocal autofocus mode - I
Price (under $1200) - I
Lower weight - I
Anti-shake with panning - I
More AF points - I
Voice memo - I
AA batteries - I
Improved DOF switch - I

Last edited by stewart_photo; 07-28-2007 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Clarification & count change
07-28-2007, 01:08 AM   #44

QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
To "jms698" re:
Nice idea, but what happens 5 years down the line when that pesky piece of dampening material starts disintegrating and showering the sensor with irritating little bits of foam, which the DR mechanism then redistributes around the the light chamber ??????
I'm not material scientist, but I'm sure there must be some kind of foam polymer that doesn't disintegrate with age. It is only the common really cheap stuff that does that.
07-28-2007, 02:57 AM   #45
Veteran Member

One more..

Thing:
In a K5D? i want to see 100% in the wiewfinder.

And as metion before:
Higher dynamic...
Lower noice
And ....