Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2007, 04:31 AM   #61
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by anomaly Quote
The new Wein "Peanut" optical flash triggers are not supposed to be triggered by preflash.
I know its possible to get around problems by adding more equipment but if the k10d could have this simple setting then buying more equipment wouldnt be nescesary

07-31-2007, 06:45 AM   #62
Veteran Member

My wish list:

1. Better noise reduction in camera at higher ISOs and a boost to 3200 ISO.

2. At least 5fps capabilities.

3. Faster auto focusing in lower light/slower lenses.

4. ISO displayed in vf at all times.

5. Improved picture quality in jpeg and raw. Images sometimes require significant post processing.

If Pentax intends to compete with Canon and Nikon and appeal to those that want to sell their images, it's going to have to at least implement these features. There are a lot of us loyal to Pentax but when it comes to someone's livelihood, money will usurp loyalty.

I like the 1.4x sensor idea though 10mp is enough for me. Maybe that would help resolution and noise to leave it at 10mp. I intend to purchase whatever it is that comes out if it meets at least these measures...
07-31-2007, 11:44 AM   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just want real TTL flash capability. P-TTL works but the pre-flash is a pain (IMHO).
07-31-2007, 11:47 PM   #64

1. Faster/better low-light auto-focusing
2. Higher flash sync speed--especially with the built-in flash which doesn't do HSS.
3. SR stays on for a little while after releasing the AF button (several seconds is sufficient). This way you can rev-up SR so it's instantly ready even if I have to take a quick shot. This could be done with a FW upgrade to the K10d.
4. More sophisticated matrix metering--like a 500 or 1000 pixel array. I presume this would also enable spot metering at any AF point--not just the center one. Maybe would also help P-TTL exposure be more dependable.
5. Fix the vertical banding issue.

Couple of unreasonable or pro features:

-Predictive AF.
->5fps shooting
-Shake Reduction for the AF sensor (should improve performance at long FL).
-"Best image" selector. If I take 10 nearly identical shots, the camera chooses the sharpest one and tosses the other 9. It's a good compliment to SR. Nikon might have this one sewn up in a patent.

Bart

08-01-2007, 05:02 PM   #65
Banned

3 things.

1. 5 fps shoot speed
2. ATLEAST minimum shutter speed of 1/8000
3. Maximum Shutter speed of 10 hours
08-01-2007, 05:56 PM   #66
Veteran Member

1) Return of a real KAF mount (as opposed to the "crippled" one which has reduced functionality with pre-A lenses)
2) Option of using electronic shutter beyond 1/180 instead of focal plane shutter to allow higher sync speeds. See Strobist: Hacking Your Camera's Sync Speed, Pt 1
3) PC sync output
4) Improved functionality of teleconverters (allow us to input a focal length multiplier, similar to how we can put in a manual focal length for old lenses.)
5) If 1) is not possible, some sort of firmware workaround. Similar to the current SR-with-manual-lenses functionality, let us input the "wide open" aperture of the lens and the current aperture setting.
6) If 1) or 5) are not possible, at least allow exposure compensation in Av mode with a non-A lens and "exposure compensation before metering" for the green button "hypermanual" mode.

Edit: Note that 4-6 could also be implemented on the current K10D with a firmware upgrade.
08-02-2007, 04:53 AM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote
1) Return of a real KAF mount (as opposed to the "crippled" one which has reduced functionality with pre-A lenses)
2) Option of using electronic shutter beyond 1/180 instead of focal plane shutter to allow higher sync speeds. See Strobist: Hacking Your Camera's Sync Speed, Pt 1
3) PC sync output
4) Improved functionality of teleconverters (allow us to input a focal length multiplier, similar to how we can put in a manual focal length for old lenses.)
5) If 1) is not possible, some sort of firmware workaround. Similar to the current SR-with-manual-lenses functionality, let us input the "wide open" aperture of the lens and the current aperture setting.
6) If 1) or 5) are not possible, at least allow exposure compensation in Av mode with a non-A lens and "exposure compensation before metering" for the green button "hypermanual" mode.

Edit: Note that 4-6 could also be implemented on the current K10D with a firmware upgrade.
I'd be so thankful for Pentax if they did do 4-6 for us current owners.
08-03-2007, 08:44 PM   #68
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, after several days with no new additions, I guess the wishlists have ended without a clear consensus. Some things do stand out from the pack though, such as improved image quality (especially at the higher ISO settings). Various higher ISO settings (3200, 6400, etc), a focus assist lamp or just better low-light focusing, and two SD card slots (configured various ways, which muddled this up), came in second, third, and forth. Things start getting really muddled after that. I've given up on any actual count since it appears to be a hopeless cause. However, reading what others consider important is interesting nonetheless, so certainly feel free to continue adding to the wishlists.

stewart

08-07-2007, 03:51 PM   #69
Forum Member

Late contrubution

Hello,

Now, I'm not that high up on the hill of mastering both photography and the K10D, so you have to take my comments for what they are. A wish list of a less experienced amateur:

1. 1,2-1,3 sensor, not necessarily more MP's - lower high ISO noise/improved DR more important! (Of course some more pixels for WA landscapes wouldn't hurt, but NOT OF THE EXPENSE OF IMPROVED NOISE/DR)

2. Better (more consistent) exposure in "average mode" I have read somewhere that 16 fields should be enough, but I wonder? I have seen some funny things going on, f.ex. when having a light sky and dark ground (hour just before sunset) - changing the angle (horizontal) only by a little have caused a relatively big change in exposure. (Disadvantage is of course that the lens availability problem of today will continue even longer, but I think, reading the rumors of competitors, that the "market" might lead Pentax this way (at least bigger sensors but unfortunately maybe only for MP reasons), even if this haven't been their strategy so far)

3. Low light AF could be improved - assist lamp (indoors) is a good idea I think.

4. Faster access to white balance. A dedicated button somewhere on left side of body (front/front mount below RAW-button);
A: Pressed together with lever (preshot) for direct manual WB
B: Pressed and change Kelvin deg. with one of wheels (or new wheel on left side :-)

5. Change the "gimmick button" (RAW button) to something more useful (Have suggested this in an earlier thread) - Let us have the opportunity for having a number (5-10?) of presets and use this button to toggle through them. These presets should include: raw (DNG or PEF), raw and jpeg, only jpeg, jpg-settings, gamut (sRGB, aRGB and maybe one more?), in short parameters not directly connected to the exposure. I haven't made up my mind if WB should be included, but I think so!

6. JPEG quality? I use mainly RAW+JPG and JPG only for quick sorting/finding the pic's and sometimes party/family pic's. Nevertheless think they should provide for a more sharpened alternative (a "standard" USM type of sharpening in camera). If not for other reasons, I think at least for market reasons (end this boring "bad JPG's" discussions - I also find the argument of "more for the advanced user" questionable. The more advanced user soon find his way to RAW, and with more and more advanced software one can easely (=fast) develop these RAW's (batch wise). JPG is for my party/family pic's and I think it's preferably if one didn't have to do any pp on them!)

Greetings / Lars
08-07-2007, 04:10 PM   #70
Veteran Member

Well...

I just want something similar to the K10D but with some small evolutionary advancements like:

60 megapixels
1.3 or FF 34x36 format
50 to 12800 iso with lovely Agfa 1000 iso grain rendition at 6400 and 12800 iso
5 fps
Little noise at 50 to 800 iso
X Synchro Input
Ultra Fast AF under adverse lighting conditions using IR receptor.

That would do it quite nicely for me.

Ben
08-08-2007, 12:54 AM   #71
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow! 60 megapixels is a small evolutionary advance, Ben? The same with Agfa-like ISO 1000 grain at ISO 6400-12800? I like it, but can't possibly imagine what you'd consider a larger evolutionary advance.

stewart
08-08-2007, 01:25 AM   #72
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't want 60mp, I don't think my computer could handle it!
08-08-2007, 03:07 AM   #73
Forum Member

Que ?

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I just want something similar to the K10D but with some small evolutionary advancements like:

60 megapixels
1.3 or FF 34x36 format
50 to 12800 iso with lovely Agfa 1000 iso grain rendition at 6400 and 12800 iso
5 fps
Little noise at 50 to 800 iso
X Synchro Input
Ultra Fast AF under adverse lighting conditions using IR receptor.

That would do it quite nicely for me.

Ben
And by this you mean I'm a fool, or that my wish list is exaggerated?

About the former, you might be right, but I'm not the man to tell :-)

Regarding wish list, I do not think my suggestions for improvement is so much over the top? Of course Pentax have expressed that 1,5 factor is enough (and they may be right), and their lens roeadmap indicates this,
but I do not think they could stick to this if other manufacturer will go for bigger sensors at reasonable price for prosumers!?
(You know about the Swedish typewriter company (FACIT), at the time when computers/microships where new, hoes CEO said something like "How would ever want to type on a computer"? - This company does not exist today! - Market roules)

As Pentax do not make their own sensors, they have to rely on others (if not this cooperation with Samsung leads to something else). Unfortunately this might give us an increased number of photocells on the ship, instead of improving DR, which I consider the weakest point of digital photography.

Greatings / Lars
08-08-2007, 04:10 AM   #74
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lars Quote
And by this you mean I'm a fool, or that my wish list is exaggerated? (snip)

I don't think Ben's comments were specifically directed at you, Lars. Instead, I think he just added his comments after the last message in the discussion - the last message people see using this forum's linear display mode. Your message just happened to be the last message at that given moment.

When someone is addressing a particular person here, the common practice is to quote that person in the reply (unless so few overall messages, or the reply itself, make it fairly obvious who the reply is intended for). Messages without a quote are typically addressed to all reading, not one specific person. Of course, there are no firm rules about this (which is why one can find so many exceptions), but that is the typical practice used by many.

stewart
08-08-2007, 04:43 AM   #75
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
I don't want 60mp, I don't think my computer could handle it!

Oh, come on. Quit being a computer wimp, Arpe. Buy bigger hard drives to handle all those 60 megapixel image files. Terabyte hard drives are fairly inexpensive today (less than $500), with petabyte hard drives just around the corner. I figure four or six terabyte hard drives should handle the volume of images most maintain, with sufficient backup (less HD's is someone wants to use a few thousand CD's for backup). As far as the computer itself is concerned, a new processor combined with a couple of high end SLI or Crossfire graphics cards should do the trick nicely. All together, this shouldn't set any of us back much more that $3000-3500. Ouch!!

And lets not forget to add the new camera to those overall costs.

stewart