Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2007, 04:19 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Realistic Next Generation K10D Wishlists

The wishlist for an eventual successor to the K10D has been getting longer almost by the day. It now includes an articulating LCD display with the option to view scenes (shoot) live through that display, built-in GPS, 5-fps or greater, larger buffer, faster buffer, higher flash sync speeds, bigger viewfinder, brighter viewfinder, fixed ISO display, CF cards, focus assist lamp, adjustable volume control, KAF2 mount, WB selection switch, configurable RAW button, and much more.

Others (including myself) point to the cost, complexity, uselessness, and/or additional weight of all these additions.

Maybe we need more realistic wishlists. Perhaps five things you feel are truly needed or would substantually improve the camera, with a goal of eventually settling on perhaps ten things the majority can agree on.

So that is the question here. What five things (5 only) do you feel would truly improve the next generation K10D? Of course, feel free to offer arguments in support or defense of your choices, and/or arguments for or against those things listed by others.

Here is my five things, not in any particular order...

1. Fixed ISO display.
--- The sensitivity/ISO setting should always be displayed in the viewfinder & top LCD.

2. Focus assist lamp.
--- While the K10D does a fairly good job of focusing in low light, focus assist should improve that significantly.

3. Improved image quality (of course).
--- JPEG sharpness at all ISO settings and less image noise with both RAW & JPEG at the higher ISO settings.

4. Faster flash sync speed.
--- Outdoor fill (the area I most often use portable flash) benefits from a higher sync speed.

5. PC/flash sync-x connector/socket.
--- I still routinely use wired studio flash and strongly prefer a dedicated connector for this.

Well, that's my list. Now it's your turn.

stewart

Last edited by stewart_photo; 07-26-2007 at 05:28 AM. Reason: clarification and spelling
07-26-2007, 06:08 AM   #2

1. ISO
--- Improved image quality with higher ISO settings (800 and above)
--- Higher ISO settings (3200)
--- Lower ISO setting (50)
--- Full time ISO display

2. Low-light Focus

3. Raw Button
--- should switch between JPG, Raw and RAW+ or RAW and RAW+

4. Digital level
--- put a digital level in the viewfinder and LCD

5. WiFi for Live view
07-26-2007, 10:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd really love to see better auto-wb in artificial lighting.
07-26-2007, 10:32 AM   #4

Hyperfocal autofocus mode.

07-26-2007, 01:39 PM   #5

Here my wishes in order of priority.

1st wish:
14mp sensor with 1.4 crop factor (I think a 1.4 crop factor would be brilliant: should be possible with the current the existing lenses, more wide-angle without much of a loss of telephoto distance. 14 megapixels at 1.4 are the same pixel density as 10 megapixels using a 1.5 crop, so noise wouldn't be any worse)

2nd wish:
usable ISO3200, noisy but ok for small-medium print ISO6400 (is Canon really the only maker that can achieve this?)

3rd wish:
reasonable price: < $1200

4th wish:
no heavier than the K10d, preferably lighter (the Canon Mark III behemoth is certain too heavy, bigger is not better!)

5th wish:
improved shake reduction system. 3 - 4.5 stops of anti-shake would be great, 3.5 - 5 stops would be fantastic.
07-26-2007, 02:29 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Yes please with improved sensor sensitivity performance and ISO 3200 Please include FOCUS ASSIST LAMP. I take great low light shots with ISO 400 and shake reduction but have to pop up flash for assist lamp and close flash back down before I snap. Bit of an ass whip. My AF-360FGZ Flash has a great assist lamp wish I could use with out flash??
07-26-2007, 02:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxographer Quote
My AF-360FGZ Flash has a great assist lamp wish I could use with out flash??
The 540 has a mode to use assist lamp only (no flash), don't know if the 360 has that feature as well.

07-26-2007, 05:09 PM   #8
Veteran Member

In order of importance to me:

1. Anti-shake with panning.

2. Faster AF system for fast action (probably fixed with DA lenses).

3. 5fps or higher with minimum .

4. ISO to 3200 with the same amount, or less, noise than Canon.

5. Sharper JPEGs.

Price and weight is not of concern to me. If I could get these things in a Pentax body within 12 months I would gladly pay 20-30% more than a K10D. I'm putting 2kg worth of glass in front of it so what's a few extra grams in the body. Also, sensor resolution is of no consequince to me, I am more than content with 10MP.
07-26-2007, 08:24 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Where does this wish list become unrealistic and lean more for pro gear?
But then this 2 SD card port idea from the HawaiianOnline very Interesting yes.
07-26-2007, 08:51 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Message to HawaiianOnline:

You've just exceeded stewart_photo's five-point ground rules !! Please delete one of your choices !!!!

On a more serious note, here's my five-pence worth for what it's worth:

1. ISO/Sensitivity Display PERMANENTLY VISIBLE in ALL MODES through Viewfinder and in top-mounted LCD

2. Low Ambient Focus Assist Lamp - for helping with extremely Low Light photographs.

3. Two separate SD slots in body - One allocated for RAW, One allocated for Jpeg

4. Dedicated White Balance button

5. Larger Faster Buffer - minimum 10 frames RAW

or alternatively, for the genuinely flippant aficionados amongst us......

1. HSMWW (Hi-Speed Motorised Windscreen-Wiper) - for keeping Lenses clear in the pouring rain !

2. IMBTS (Inbuilt Multi-Barbed TASER Stungun) - particularly handy for eliminating oblivious tourists who continually walk right in front of the camera, at precisely the moment you're trying to take a bl**dy photograph !

3. LPRSR (Loud Polyphonic Ringtone Shutter Release) button - guaranteed to make Traffic Wardens jump out-of their skins and 'annoy-the-hell-out-of' nearby Mobile Phone users !

4. ACFM (Automatic Confetti Firing Mechanism) - invaluable for rookie Wedding Photographers who enjoy infuriating Church cleaning ladies !

5. WDM (Whisky Dispensing Mechanism) - concealed secretly within Battery Grip and invaluable for combatting
'Schhhaycke Reduxshunn'.....Two exshtra schtopps garrunteed.....hic !!!

Since I enjoy cheating slightly:

5a. PPM (Pentax Paparazzi Mode) - Instantaneously disables every other camera within a 5-miles radius, enabling capture of exclusive picture rights thus earning huge amounts of dough to buy EVEN MORE Pentax gear !!

Last edited by Confused; 02-03-2008 at 04:33 PM.
07-26-2007, 09:51 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Confused, I love your second list of features! Definitely things that *I* need in my next camera!

Anyway:

1. Better high-ISO performance. This, along with SR, can really help those of us who wanna take pics in low-light without having to set up a tripod.

2. OEM split-focus screen with the red dots for AF (a la Katz Eye). Maybe I'm just old-school, but then again, most of you macro shooters, I'm sure, want this to be included in-cam. On a related note, I just placed an order for a China-made split-screen a few minutes ago.

3. Better AWB. The WB calibration is a good touch, but better AWB would help also. Not all of us shoot RAW, so this would be a big boon for us JPG shooters.

4. Focus-assist lamp. I'm with the others on this one. There are times when I even thought of placing a flashlight on top of my camera then turn it off when I'm about to trip the shutter.

5. More button customization. This probably could be addressed in firmware for the K10D already.

Really, I'm happy enough with my K10D that I deem only 1, 3, and 4 to be important for me, with 3 even being near marginal for me, as I've gotten used to working with the K10D's WB. Though the HSMWW looks to be a good feature...
07-26-2007, 11:14 PM   #12
Veteran Member

ok ill throw in a list and ill try to be creative...

1. built in grip
2. built in radio a la pocket wizard style (put it in the built in grip!)
3. multiple user modes: user1 user2 user3 so you can set your outdoor fillflash settintgs to user1, wedding reception settings to user2, and you know, and user3 to whatever your assistant does when he grabs that body...
4. More AF points? 11 is cool but there is a canon that has 45....
5. more versatile green button that can apply to ev settings, flash ev, wb grid, progam line, maybe a way to 'return to center point AF' with green button.

...i was really pushing it toward the end to think of new stuff.
some stuff i've heard that i really like is:

the gps thing

the better noise

iso 6400

i dont know if someone has said this.....the ability to record a voice memo on each photo...ie you could have, if shooting RAW+ and add a v.memo to the pic
ipg_0001.DNG
ipg_ooo1.JPG
ipg_0001.WMV
for photojournalism that would be great for recording names or other details

the battery lid knob hurts my fingernails...fix it

i like dual card slots

dedicated custom wb button like the ist*D

more dynamic range

less noise

better AF

i have heard of some cameras that you can set (on a tripod) to take a shot every so often...like intervals of 1 sec or 2 sec or whatever....that would be SWEEEET!! and probably simple with firmaware
07-26-2007, 11:16 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A better battery meter ...as it is the battery shows full charge till just befor it dies.
07-27-2007, 02:48 AM   #14
Veteran Member

1. bring back AA or work out some sort of disposable battery solution (like nikon)
2. less noise
3. more dynamic range
4. faster flash sinc
5. bring back TTL

Oh and Pentax, bring out that new camera. I'm getting tired of reading/writing wish lists and "what do you think" posts.

Last edited by Matjazz; 07-27-2007 at 06:55 AM.
07-27-2007, 03:30 AM   #15

Actually, sleeping on my list of features (not literally) I think I'd refine my desired feature set to just two features. Both to do with noise:

1st: super silent mode - where the mirror slap is dampened to the point of being almost completely inaudible (how hard can it be to have the mirror slap into a piece of foam? I don't care if the viewfinder blacks-out for a long time and I only get 1 fps)

2nd: ISO3200 with little sensor noise

I'd immediately buy a camera that has these two features.