Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2010, 01:52 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How did this happen??? Dust in my K-x.

I've never seen so much as a SPECK of dust in my photos. Now, all of a sudden, there's a ton! I'm quite dumbfounded since I don't know how this could have happened. There's at least 30 spots of dust visible. I was using different lenses, so it's definitely the camera.

04-29-2010, 01:58 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Sensor dust, the number one irritating thing that you have to deal with. Get a rocket blower or a wet cleaning tool if you want to do it yourself, but if not, then you're going to have to pay to get it off of there. It usually shows up a lot more at larger apertures like f/22, etc.
04-29-2010, 02:06 PM   #3

Original Poster
Yeah, I just don't know how it could've happened. I'm careful and quick changing lenses. I put the lens face down, take the rear cap off and lay it down for the other lens, then swap quickly while aiming the camera down.

I got the big piece off, at least. It just really worries me!

Last edited by Perrumpo; 04-29-2010 at 02:14 PM.
04-29-2010, 02:28 PM - 1 Like   #4
tux
Forum Member

Humidity is a big factor. When I was travelling in S.E Asia sensor dust was a huge problem for me. It would tend to stick much more.

In Australia with very low humidity it is hardly ever a problem.

04-29-2010, 04:57 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tux Quote
Humidity is a big factor. When I was travelling in S.E Asia sensor dust was a huge problem for me. It would tend to stick much more.

In Australia with very low humidity it is hardly ever a problem.
Hmm, good to know. It hasn't been humid here, though, so I'm still quite surprised at the sudden appearance of so much dust.
04-29-2010, 06:24 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Perrumpo Quote
Yeah, I just don't know how it could've happened. I'm careful and quick changing lenses. I put the lens face down, take the rear cap off and lay it down for the other lens, then swap quickly while aiming the camera down.

There is no way to avoid dust spots, no matter how careful you are. Learn to clean your sensor and move on.
04-29-2010, 06:38 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Make sure you turn off the camera before swapping lenses. Electricity attracts dust. This was the biggest improvement to reduce the need for cleaning.
04-29-2010, 06:38 PM - 1 Like   #8
Ira
Inactive Account

Photoshop's clone tool is your FRIEND!!!

04-29-2010, 06:40 PM   #9
Ira
Inactive Account

It just really worries me!
Stop worrying. It's just some dust.
04-29-2010, 07:17 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've never seen so much as a SPECK of dust in my photos. Now, all of a sudden, there's a ton! I'm quite dumbfounded since I don't know how this could have happened. There's at least 30 spots of dust visible. I was using different lenses, so it's definitely the camera.
The zoom action on some lenses pulls air in and out of the camera, the caps sometimes shed crap if they are used a lot, wear in the mirror/shutter mech etc. there are a myriad of sources of dust. Occasionally you will need to clean your sensor. You can learn how to do it or send it off toa service centre if you're too nervous to try it yourself.

The shot you posted was obviously made using a small aperture. Shots at small apertures which contain large areas of uniform colour will show up dust most readily whereas if you primarily shoot at mid to wide apertures you may not notice as the dust load grows.
04-29-2010, 07:51 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks for the help. I do turn the camera off to swap lenses, but I guess I didn't realize how common sensor dust is and had a panic moment, heh. I'll see how well the blower did tomorrow.

Reps for you all!
04-29-2010, 08:24 PM   #12
Site Supporter

You can always get a camera per lens.

It was not my intention but I ended up in that position. I have a Macro lens K100D, a SuperZoon K100D, and a K100D Super (with sensor clean mode) for the remaining lenses.

I have not cloned out dusts spots in the sky in a long time, I used to do that every few days when I interchanged lenses.

Last edited by LeoTaylor; 04-29-2010 at 08:24 PM. Reason: typo
04-30-2010, 08:56 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I've never seen so much as a SPECK of dust in my photos. Now, all of a sudden, there's a ton!
Most likely, it's been slowly building up this hole time, but you never notived it until now because you never shot a sky at f/29 before...