Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2010, 08:54 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
You also sent a K10D up several thousand feet and survived some extreme conditions, didn't you?
Yes! Ironically, my k10d is the only Pentax DSLR I didn't have a QC problem with. That thing has been to space 3 times, has taken thousands of pictures, and not once has it so much as hiccuped! So no one can convince me that the k10d is not well built. The k20d and k-7 were my personal cameras, stayed in my bag, and were babied. Yet both suffered problems with e-dial failures. Therefore, I am not willing to say they are better built than a t2i.

Last edited by PentaxPoke; 04-30-2010 at 08:59 PM.
04-30-2010, 09:01 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by metungnasi Quote
I dont have any lenses for canon, as im planning on switching. My pentax lenses are DA40, DA 18-250, DA 16-45, and the FA 50mm 1.4. If I will sell all my lenses, and the k20d, I will be able to upgrade to canon t2i and get a couple of good lenses.
I might be interested in the 40 and 50, do it now!
04-30-2010, 09:46 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
PentaxPoke: Yes! Ironically, my k10d is the only Pentax DSLR I didn't have a QC problem with. That thing has been to space 3 times, has taken thousands of pictures, and not once has it so much as hiccuped! So no one can convince me that the k10d is not well built. The k20d and k-7 were my personal cameras, stayed in my bag, and were babied. Yet both suffered problems with e-dial failures. Therefore, I am not willing to say they are better built than a t2i.
Hey Poke, I do not blame you one bit. You sure had some awful luck with a lot of Pentax equipment---jeeez! That first thread you made with the K10d in space is one of the more memorable Pentax Forum threads ever.
04-30-2010, 10:15 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The loud clangy shutter of the K-x is one of the reasons I use the relatively quiet K20d in more intimate situations. I was at an exhibition tennis match, snapping rapid shots with the K-x and a woman in front of me turned around to see what the racket (no pun intended) was about! Seriously, the K-x can frighten small children!

04-30-2010, 10:38 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
The loud clangy shutter of the K-x is one of the reasons I use the relatively quiet K20d in more intimate situations. I was at an exhibition tennis match, snapping rapid shots with the K-x and a woman in front of me turned around to see what the racket (no pun intended) was about! Seriously, the K-x can frighten small children!
I had the same reaction with my K100DS!
05-01-2010, 01:24 AM   #36

thanks for the advice I kinda like low light performance, but as youve said k20d is weather resistant. thats a big factor to me. I want to get a good lens like the DA 16-50 but prices are going up. i kinda thought canon lens are much cheaper.
What lenses you want or need other than DA 16-50 ? Maybe it is time to list lenses you want and find similar lenses from Canon and then compare the prices. I checked the price for Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS and found it being more expensive than DA 16-50 at least here in Finland. You need also notice that Canon 17-55 is not weather sealed.

It think you can finance an used DA 16-50 by selling DA 16-45 and DA 40 or FA 50.
05-01-2010, 08:14 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I want to get a good lens like the DA 16-50 but prices are going up. i kinda thought canon lens are much cheaper.
Cheap lenses are cheap, good lenses aren't. The Canon equivalent of the DA*16-50 is the 17-55/2.8 IS. It's quite a bit *more* - not less - expensive than the DA*16-50. At least in the US - $1050 for the Canon versus $750 for the Pentax. And the Canon is not weather sealed, nor is it as wide.
05-01-2010, 12:10 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
And the Canon is not weather sealed, nor is it as wide.
True, and it is pricey, but it is FAR sharper edge to edge wide open than the DA* 16-50, (see the photozone tests. The 16-50 is "fair to poor" wide open.) CA is far worse on the 16-50, and in some cases, over 2.5 times worse. Finally, the 17-55 has true ring-USM.

I will defend Pentax tooth and nail on the IQ of the DA* 50-135, but the 16-50 is completely a different story. IMO, the 16-50 is still overpriced. Even the Tamron is a better lens, and a lot less expensive. Is weather sealing really worth that much to the average user?

05-01-2010, 04:27 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
PentaxPoke:I will defend Pentax tooth and nail on the IQ of the DA* 50-135, but the 16-50 is completely a different story. IMO, the 16-50 is still overpriced. Even the Tamron is a better lens, and a lot less expensive. Is weather sealing really worth that much to the average user?
I never shot with the Da 16-50mm, but researched it to death, along with the Tamron 17-50mm. The facts clearly favor the Tamron which is excellent wide open--why else pay for f 2.8? Tamron beats the Da on a host of other issues too.

Since I am a big hiker, I gravitated towards the Da. I am glad I went with the Tammy since common sense is the best weather sealer IMO.
05-01-2010, 07:14 PM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Relatively quiet K20D????????? didn't know i had it so good The local playhouse was trying to recruit some more amateurs to take photos today, and a Sony FF owner was concerned about the noise his shutter makes. In response, a D300s owner said: Don't worry about shutter noise, my camera makes a lot of noise. I can confirm this as i've stood within 15 feet of him while shooting plays.

I don't know if i'm right about this, but this drive to have faster shutter times, like the Kx going to 1/6000, may be causing more shutter noise as the mirror slaps faster. If it was me, i'd rather have the quiet option and a slower shutter - thank you very much.
05-01-2010, 07:19 PM   #41
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
True, and it is pricey, but it is FAR sharper edge to edge wide open than the DA* 16-50, (see the photozone tests.
You mean the site that says in big bold type that results are not comparable across systems?

Anyhow, I have never used the 16-50, so I'm not here to defend it - just pointing out that person I responding to was misinformed regarding prices.
05-01-2010, 08:15 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
You mean the site that says in big bold type that results are not comparable across systems?
Come on Marc, I expect more from you. Sure you can not compare the quantitative numbers between systems, but you can compare across a given lens. The 16-50 is well known to be very soft at the edges compared to the center. You don't need to compare it to any other lens to see that. I had the 16-50 myself and can confirm this. No other lens I owned had such a wide range of sharpness across the FOV as the 16-50. It is also known to have CA issues wide open. The Photozone tests confirm these issues.

My point is that even at $750, the 16-50 is overpriced. Even compared to competitive lenses in the K-mount (the Tamron for example as Jewell mentions), the only thing the 16-50 has going for it is weather sealing, and center sharpness. So I guess in regard to the OP's question about lens prices, it would come down to cost/benefit, and I think the 16-50 is poor in that regard compared to the competition.

Last edited by PentaxPoke; 05-01-2010 at 08:48 PM.
05-01-2010, 10:03 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Marc Sabatella: Cheap lenses are cheap, good lenses aren't. The Canon equivalent of the DA*16-50 is the 17-55/2.8 IS. It's quite a bit *more* - not less - expensive than the DA*16-50. At least in the US - $1050 for the Canon versus $750 for the Pentax. And the Canon is not weather sealed, nor is it as wide.
I think the cost difference between the 16-50 and Canon 17-55 is best accounted for in the Image Stabilization of the Canon lens. Sure, Pentax counters with in-body IS, but I'm just accounting for the price difference between these two lenses.
05-02-2010, 09:06 AM   #44
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all your advice..... I will definitely just stick with pentax!!!!! If I will upgrade I will go for K7, or maybe il downgrade to kx and get the DA 16-50..... sell my DA 16-45, and FA 100 3.5 macro that I dont used.
05-02-2010, 05:49 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
I sense a slight bit of Pentax bias here... While you make some reasonable points comparing the t2i to the k20d (top LCD, weathersealing) The t2i is not "mediocrely constructed" and it certainly isn't an "inferior body." I had a k20d and we also have a new t2i and a 7D in the lab. I have used the t2i quite a bit, and find it to be a very good performer. It is also quite surprisingly very well-built and lightweight. Although you would be missing some features of the k20d, the t2i definitely is a more responsive camera. AF is definitely faster than the k20d as well as the k-7. I would also not compare the t2i to the k-x. The k-x would be a step down from the t2i. (That is not to say that the k-x is not an excellent entry-level camera. but I wouldn't compare it to the k20d or the t2i)
According to the reviews and pictures I've seen, the T2i has the same grip as the T1i. To me, that is a major disadvantage compared to the k20d and even k-x. The grip is shallow and holding it all day with a longer lens is not fun.

IMHO, of course.

When most people say build quality, they are probably talking about ergonomics and how it feels, though it should be separate.