Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2010, 05:00 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
pentax k20d upgrade to canon t2i?

hey guys which do you think is better? Should I keep my k20d or upgrade and switched to canon t2i? Need help please!!!!!

04-29-2010, 06:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
what features do you need that your K20D doesnt have?
04-29-2010, 07:02 PM   #3
Pentaxian

What lenses do you have of each brand?
04-29-2010, 07:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The T2i gives you marginally higher resolution, slightly lower noise at high ISO, and slightly faster AF and fps. It also gives you a mediocrely constructed body, a clunky user interface that's far less direct than the K20D's, and a smaller viewfinder. It also loses the top LCD, dual control wheels, weathersealing, and the comprehensive featureset and customizability of the K20D.

Personally, I'd stick with the K20D. If the T2i's pros are enough to matter to you and the cons don't matter to you, I'd look at the K-x instead, since it matches or exceeds all the T2i's pros (except the marginally higher resolution and perhaps low-light AF) while avoiding some of its cons... at a much lower price.

04-29-2010, 08:04 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
I dont have any lenses for canon, as im planning on switching. My pentax lenses are DA40, DA 18-250, DA 16-45, and the FA 50mm 1.4. If I will sell all my lenses, and the k20d, I will be able to upgrade to canon t2i and get a couple of good lenses.
04-29-2010, 08:07 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
thanks for the advice I kinda like low light performance, but as youve said k20d is weather resistant. thats a big factor to me. I want to get a good lens like the DA 16-50 but prices are going up. i kinda thought canon lens are much cheaper.
04-29-2010, 08:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by metungnasi Quote
thanks for the advice I kinda like low light performance, but as youve said k20d is weather resistant. thats a big factor to me. I want to get a good lens like the DA 16-50 but prices are going up. i kinda thought canon lens are much cheaper.

Grass is always greener on the other side; Canon L glasses are not cheap either.... K20d to 7D or 5D MK2 or even 50D is an upgrade... to T2i is not really an upgrade (at least to me anyway).

04-29-2010, 08:22 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
youre right, I just want to upgrade, maybe instead I'll just find a WR lens for my k20d instead of upgrading it
04-29-2010, 08:27 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by metungnasi Quote
I dont have any lenses for canon, as im planning on switching. My pentax lenses are DA40, DA 18-250, DA 16-45, and the FA 50mm 1.4. If I will sell all my lenses, and the k20d, I will be able to upgrade to canon t2i and get a couple of good lenses.
Wow, 4 great lenses, 4 great reasons not to switch to an all around inferior body.

I would consider switching to the 7D and definitely 5D, money permitting. There's just no reason in hell to switch to the entry level T2i from a mid level k20d unless you REALLY need video superior to the K-x.

There's a great deal on the t2i currently, here:
Canon T2i Kit w/ 18-55 IS Lens + Canon Pro 9000 Mark II printer, Beach Camera & others, $900 AR/BCB YMMV, lower if printer sold, CANON INVENTORY TRACKER for T2i and other models - *************** Forums

I sold my Xsi to upgrade to the k-x. I haven't looked back. The T1i and T2i are marginally better than the Xsi in IQ based on what I've seen.
04-29-2010, 08:41 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
The T2i gives you marginally higher resolution, slightly lower noise at high ISO, and slightly faster AF and fps. It also gives you a mediocrely constructed body, a clunky user interface that's far less direct than the K20D's, and a smaller viewfinder. It also loses the top LCD, dual control wheels, weathersealing, and the comprehensive featureset and customizability of the K20D.

Personally, I'd stick with the K20D. If the T2i's pros are enough to matter to you and the cons don't matter to you, I'd look at the K-x instead, since it matches or exceeds all the T2i's pros (except the marginally higher resolution and perhaps low-light AF) while avoiding some of its cons... at a much lower price.
I sense a slight bit of Pentax bias here... While you make some reasonable points comparing the t2i to the k20d (top LCD, weathersealing) The t2i is not "mediocrely constructed" and it certainly isn't an "inferior body." I had a k20d and we also have a new t2i and a 7D in the lab. I have used the t2i quite a bit, and find it to be a very good performer. It is also quite surprisingly very well-built and lightweight. Although you would be missing some features of the k20d, the t2i definitely is a more responsive camera. AF is definitely faster than the k20d as well as the k-7. I would also not compare the t2i to the k-x. The k-x would be a step down from the t2i. (That is not to say that the k-x is not an excellent entry-level camera. but I wouldn't compare it to the k20d or the t2i)

Last edited by PentaxPoke; 04-29-2010 at 08:51 PM.
04-29-2010, 08:56 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
I sense a slight bit of Pentax bias here... While you make some reasonable points comparing the t2i to the k20d (top LCD, weathersealing) The t2i is not "mediocrely constructed" and it certainly isn't an "inferior body." I had a k20d and we also have a new t2i and a 7D in the lab. I have used the t2i quite a bit, and find it to be a very good performer. It is also quite surprisingly very well-built and lightweight. Although you would be missing some features of the k20d, the t2i definitely is a more responsive camera. AF is definitely faster than the k20d as well as the k-7. I would also not compare the t2i to the k-x. The k-x would be a step down from the t2i. (That is not to say that the k-x is not an excellent entry-level camera. but I wouldn't compare it to the k20d or the t2i)
Wow, I totally forgot about AF after using MF exclusively for a few months. Silly me.

I'm all about IQ and I haven't been impressed by any of the Rebels. Based on the preliminary tests, the T2i isn't that much better than the T1i, which was on some tests inferior to the Xsi.
04-29-2010, 09:38 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
I'm all about IQ and I haven't been impressed by any of the Rebels. Based on the preliminary tests, the T2i isn't that much better than the T1i, which was on some tests inferior to the Xsi.
Well I would say that most of us here are "all about IQ" or we wouldn't be using DSLR's.

I can't speak regarding other people's tests about t1i's and Xsi's. All I can speak to is my personal experience with the t2i, as well as my k20d, which was the OP's question. The k20d had excellent IQ. Arguably, even the k-7 is no better (as many previous threads here would attest.) The IQ on the t2i is excellent as well. I did not find that the t2i had much better IQ than the k20d with the exception of high-ISO and resolution. But that is the case with most APS-C cameras at this point. So the differences come down to other issues. To me, responsiveness of a camera is very important. AF speed in low light, tracking, fps, etc. In those areas the t2i is better than the k20d. The t2i also has among the best video capabilities of any DSLR. The k20d has the dual dials, weathersealing, top LCD etc. So each have advantages. I grow tired of reading insecure hyperbole such as "inferior body" and "poor construction" when comparing Pentax cameras to entry-level Nikons and Canons. They are all well built, and have advantages and limitations.
04-29-2010, 11:06 PM   #13
Inactive Account

that is not upgrade, it is downgrade..

if you love low light performance, then downgrade to kx..sell K20D+16-45 and buy kx+16-50
04-30-2010, 03:28 AM   #14
Veteran Member

You dont need to upgrade your kit for now.
You have a K20D w/c has a good high iso performance combine with the FA50 1.4
04-30-2010, 04:20 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The reason to "upgrade" to a T2i would be if you need the video control. I imagine that Pentax's next camera will supply total control of video, but for right now, the T2i is better at that. Pentax lens prices aren't cheap, but neither are top L lenses either. The T2i sensor at 18 megapixels requires 1000 dollar lenses to take full advantage of that. Cheaper lenses are going to look really weak at the pixel level.

Just to address Pentax Poke's concerns about Pentaxians blasting "mediocre construction," it really depends on what you need, want. I have lost a camera (a k100) hiking in a rain storm and will not buy a non-weather sealed camera again. If you are never in the elements, then I am sure that the build difference doesn't really matter, but I have been with my family at Disney and had rain come down and not felt like I had to rush my camera away. It can take more abuse than I can. For this reason, I wouldn't buy a kx either. Its construction just isn't up to my needs.