Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2010, 12:55 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I also don't understand what should be different in Av.
It even has the advantage of optionally setting an EV comensation.

04-30-2010, 02:01 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Well, you can also set an EV comp with the k20 and the k7 in M mode... Don't know for Kx, though...
04-30-2010, 04:32 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for all the info. I hope the weather is good today, and I'll have some time to play with the different options, and see what works best for me. I guess if the weather is crap, it'll give me a chance to read the manual. (do people even do that anymore? )
04-30-2010, 04:53 AM   #19
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Turn on the Catch In Focus option in your custom menu. Put your camera in AF-S and then you can use the Focus Trap.

You have to put aluminum tape on the mount of the lens to short out the contacts for focus trap to work.

I was all ready to buy a roll a few weeks ago, but didn't. The roll gives you enough to do about 10,000 lenses.

I should buy a roll and sell pieces for a quarter!!!

04-30-2010, 04:56 AM   #20
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
Well, you can also set an EV comp with the k20 and the k7 in M mode... Don't know for Kx, though...
I don't think you can. I may have tried it once, but since I was in manual anyway, I would just open the stop if needed.
04-30-2010, 06:03 AM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
Thanks for all the info. I hope the weather is good today, and I'll have some time to play with the different options, and see what works best for me. I guess if the weather is crap, it'll give me a chance to read the manual. (do people even do that anymore? )
I spent two days reading the manual before I even took a picture.
04-30-2010, 05:43 PM   #22
Forum Member

Just my opinion, cloudy weather is better than good weather.
05-01-2010, 01:53 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I was wrong on this one:
EV Comp does work in M on the K20 and K7.
But you always have to hit the Green button for measurement in M.

Last edited by blende8; 05-01-2010 at 03:29 AM.
05-01-2010, 02:18 AM   #24
Inactive Account

Apparently I was wrong about focus trapping an M42 lens, as Ira said.. Didn't try the tape trick (I assume it goes on the lens, not the camera).. Just received an M42 55 f1.4 lens and took it out for a test drive yesterday.. Shutter fires when trying to focus trap regardless of the AF switch setting. With regular K, M, and A lenses, it works without taking any special measures in AF-S mode.

Here's a shot from the 55 f1.4 M42

05-01-2010, 02:46 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote
I always use Av mode with my Super Tak. I usually find myself at EV +2 also.

Considering screw mount lenses are MF, I don't think it would matter what setting you had your AF on.
It does matter, because with Manual lenses if you let the switch in AF-S and the central focus point is not in focus it will not fire, so you switch to ManualFocus to shoot freely.

Rui
05-01-2010, 03:06 AM   #26
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
It does matter, because with Manual lenses if you let the switch in AF-S and the central focus point is not in focus it will not fire, so you switch to ManualFocus to shoot freely.

Rui
As pointed out, this is not true for M42 lenses. It IS true for K mount Manual lenses however, as well as lenses with an AF/MF switch set to MF.

05-03-2010, 08:35 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
As pointed out, this is not true for M42 lenses. It IS true for K mount Manual lenses however, as well as lenses with an AF/MF switch set to MF.

You and I forgot to mention that it is only valid for M42 lenses whose mount is plastic or black anodized electrically isolated. With bare metal M42 mounts the contacts are shorted out making my statement true!

Rui
05-03-2010, 02:08 PM   #28

Same question, different body (K10D)

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
You're talking about your Taks:

1) Manual metering mode. (Not Av!!!)

2) Center focus point.

3) Center weighted metering.

4) Green button for Tv shift, which locks in the correct shutter speed based on the aperture you manually selected.

On the kx, the EV button does the same thing, but don't know about the K7.
Will this work for the K10D as well?
05-03-2010, 04:33 PM   #29
Veteran Member

You're talking about your Taks:

1) Manual metering mode. (Not Av!!!)

2) Center focus point.

3) Center weighted metering.

4) Green button for Tv shift, which locks in the correct shutter speed based on the aperture you manually selected.

On the kx, the EV button does the same thing, but don't know about the K7.
QuoteOriginally posted by Tbear Quote
Will this work for the K10D as well?
Yes, it will work with the K10D. Just ignore points 2) and 3) settings because with non-"A" lenses it does it automatically, i.e. you cannot select Focus point and metering area.

Rui
05-03-2010, 06:53 PM   #30
Veteran Member

So you're consistently adding two stops over. That's a LOT, and not the case with M mode.

I think you're right about the focus point setting, but since it's only working at a single point anyway, I figure I might as well set it for that.

Because it's not about the AF, but the confirmation, and I don't know how the sensor behaves differently with a manual lens on there. But again, it may make no difference at at all.
If you're using M mode with Tv shift for green button, isn't it the same thing? Except every time you hit the green button, you have to adjust the shutter 6 (or 4) dials.