Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2010, 05:26 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K7 & screw mount lenses

Just got my K7 today, and have been playing a little bit with it so far. Getting dark / late, so will have more time to play tomorrow. Of course I've got a couple questions. When using your older glass, so you set your metering for light and focus, do you use center, multi or what? Just wondering what works best with these older lenses.

04-29-2010, 05:33 PM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
Just got my K7 today, and have been playing a little bit with it so far. Getting dark / late, so will have more time to play tomorrow. Of course I've got a couple questions. When using your older glass, so you set your metering for light and focus, do you use center, multi or what? Just wondering what works best with these older lenses.

You're talking about your Taks:

1) Manual metering mode. (Not Av!!!)

2) Center focus point.

3) Center weighted metering.

4) Green button for Tv shift, which locks in the correct shutter speed based on the aperture you manually selected.

On the kx, the EV button does the same thing, but don't know about the K7.
04-29-2010, 05:46 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the info. I'm surprised at the recommendation NOT to use AV mode. That's all I used with my *istD. Any reason for that?
04-29-2010, 06:00 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I'm wondering the same on not using AV.

I been using Av mode with use of my older manual lenses with out a problem

04-29-2010, 06:13 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

AV works but you will have to play around with the EV. I usually end up with an EV of +2.
04-29-2010, 06:24 PM   #6
Ira
Inactive Account

Two reasons for M and not Av:

1) Your experiences may differ, but on the KX and with my Taks and other M42s, Av stinks. It always underexposes and it's not consistent across various lenses, nor across F stops on the same lens.

2) Once you put a manual lens on there and are going manual, you might as well shoot manual--and Av doesn't count. As it is, DSLRs are finicky metering this old glass, so why would you want a 1" turn of your camera to the left or right dramatically changing your exposure? I want to meter on the appropriate area, hit my button, reframe, and it's locked in at that exposure.

Last edited by Ira; 04-29-2010 at 06:35 PM.
04-29-2010, 06:24 PM   #7
Inactive Account

I always use Av mode with my Super Tak. I usually find myself at EV +2 also.

Considering screw mount lenses are MF, I don't think it would matter what setting you had your AF on.

04-29-2010, 06:26 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
2) Once you put a manual lens on there and are going manual, you might as well shoot manual--and Av doesn't count. As it is, DSLRs are finicky metering this old glass, so why would you want a 1" turn of your camera to the left or right dramatically changing your exposure? I want to meter on the appropriate area, hit my button, reframe, and it's locked in at that exposure.
I'll have to try this. I've not really known any other way than Av mode.
04-29-2010, 06:27 PM   #9
Ira
Inactive Account

Remember--I'm talking about kx experiences here.
04-29-2010, 06:32 PM   #10
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote

Considering screw mount lenses are MF, I don't think it would matter what setting you had your AF on.
So you're consistently adding two stops over. That's a LOT, and not the case with M mode.

I think you're right about the focus point setting, but since it's only working at a single point anyway, I figure I might as well set it for that.

Because it's not about the AF, but the confirmation, and I don't know how the sensor behaves differently with a manual lens on there. But again, it may make no difference at at all.
04-29-2010, 06:33 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I have a couple T-mounts (one mirror, one "regular") and I shoot those in Av. The mirror lens is easy as it is one choice - f6.3. The other one requires a bit more thought, and stopping down (if desired) before metering, or shooting wide open at f8.

EV +2 sounds excessive, and I'm pretty sure lenses would vary.

Oh, if the K-x has manual focus confirmation beep and blink, you probably need to use the MF setting.
04-29-2010, 06:46 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Well I gave it a go, hit the green button in 'M', makes a little noise & hey presto, it works

Chucks, i've been doing it wrong all this time

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
EV +2 sounds excessive, and I'm pretty sure lenses would vary.

Oh, if the K-x has manual focus confirmation beep and blink, you probably need to use the MF setting.
EV +2 Is necessary if shooting F5.6-16

I think the K-x has confirmation beep but not the red LED indicator in the VF.
04-29-2010, 08:12 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I don't think the metering works in AV with M series lenses. It only works at the lowest aperture rating, so if I have an M lens 50mm f1.4, it's constantly metering at the f1.4 aperture, even if it's set at f11.

With Takumars, it should theoretically work in AV mode, but people here are saying otherwise. I'm a bit curious now, I'm going to try my Taks in a second.

Last edited by hangu; 04-29-2010 at 08:20 PM.
04-29-2010, 11:03 PM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote

Turn on the Catch In Focus option in your custom menu. Put your camera in AF-S and then you can use the Focus Trap.

04-29-2010, 11:36 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have several m42 and "converted PK-m" lenses, and Av mode works really well with those... Exposure is spot on, and pretty constant through the lens' whole aperture range.

By "converted PK-m", I mean I drilled a second locking hole into the lens, so it locks halfway (roughly 20° from the original lock position) and behaves just like a m42 preset lens (the aperture lever being not engaged by the camera actuator).