Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2007, 06:38 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Aperture Limitations In Manual Mode?

I just got my K10D yesterday. Finally into the DSLR era!

Right now I'm using the kit lens and I have the camera set to M mode. So, following the instructions, pressing the green button sets the proper exposure settings, then you can modify them accordingly. The only issue I've noticed is that it won't let me open the aperture to a lower number than the one set when I pressed the green button. I can only set the aperture to 3 (or 3.5 I can't remember which it is) when the green button sets the aperture to that. I can always close the aperture, but can't open it.

Has anyone else had this issue? If its even an issue. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Any info you guys could provide would be fantastic! Thanks in advance!
Jeff

07-26-2007, 06:42 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jshurak Quote
I just got my K10D yesterday. Finally into the DSLR era!

Right now I'm using the kit lens and I have the camera set to M mode. So, following the instructions, pressing the green button sets the proper exposure settings, then you can modify them accordingly. The only issue I've noticed is that it won't let me open the aperture to a lower number than the one set when I pressed the green button. I can only set the aperture to 3 (or 3.5 I can't remember which it is) when the green button sets the aperture to that. I can always close the aperture, but can't open it.

Has anyone else had this issue? If its even an issue. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Any info you guys could provide would be fantastic! Thanks in advance!
Jeff
That's max opening (3.5) for the 18-55 @18. Zoom to 55 and that will change to max 5.6. Manual, green mode ect., you hit the floor mate
07-26-2007, 06:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The kit lens has a maximum aperture of f/3.5 @ 18mm, and only f/5.6 at 55mm.

Nothing wrong with the lens, or your camera, just the way it is
07-26-2007, 06:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Guys! That makes a lot of sense! (and a relief!)

07-26-2007, 11:19 AM   #5

I've come across this too as a new K10D and SLR owner, and was wondering about that.

Anyone have a link handy that explains this in a bit more detail?
07-26-2007, 11:21 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Bryan Peterson's "Understanding Exposure". Read it and you shall "understand exposure" Seriously, great book!
07-26-2007, 01:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Epoch of Entropy Quote
I've come across this too as a new K10D and SLR owner, and was wondering about that.

Anyone have a link handy that explains this in a bit more detail?
Aperture is the opening of the lens, the bigger the opening, the more light can enter in the same frame. The bigger the opening, the lower the f number. So f/2.8 is larger than f/5.6 for instance.

Maximum Aperture (Largest opening) is determined by the lens because it is the physical maximum opening it can produce (by design). Our 18-55mm kit lens says 1:3.5-5.6. This means at the wide end (18mm in this case), the largest aperture the lens can produce is f/3.5. The other number relates to the telephoto end of the zoom (55mm in this case), where it's largest opening is f/5.6. Zoom Lens where the aperture is constant throughout the range do exist, but they generally cost more.

Does that help explain it a bit?