Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2010, 07:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
is it normal for Live View to not look like picture taken?

just got my k-x today.

When i adjust exposure, iso, teh live view does not change. is that normal? how do i know what the exposure looks like before i take the picture?

04-29-2010, 07:45 PM   #2

Great camera- have lots of fun with it. Suggest you use Live View just as a guide to what you are about to take and that you get used to using the viewfinder instead. Take a shot and if it is not up to expectations, adjust settings and take again. Get a feel for what the camera is likely to produce under different conditions. Read the operating manual for suggestions on how to use the various functions.n Take lots of shots, especially using RAW and have fun dealing with them on your computer.
04-29-2010, 08:31 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My K100D does not have live view but I believe while you are composing a photo the lens is wide open regardless of what you set the aperture at. You have to take a photo to see the effect of the setting.

I was taking some waterfall photos at F32 the other day. If the viewfinder was stopped down that far I would not be able to focus!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 
04-29-2010, 08:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hockmasm Quote
just got my k-x today.

When i adjust exposure, iso, teh live view does not change. is that normal? how do i know what the exposure looks like before i take the picture?
You will not see the "changes" in live view. It's just like looking through the view finder without the bottom status line, the image you see (in the view finder and on the live view screen) is not what the shot will look like, you have to take a picture to see the changes.

Live view is good for when you need to take a picture with the camera away from your face but if you are eye level with the camera always use the view finder.

04-30-2010, 06:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i guess there is no way to brighten the viewfinder? its dark in low light situations...
04-30-2010, 08:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The viewfinder is just glass and mirrors. There's nothing to brighten.
04-30-2010, 09:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hockmasm Quote
just got my k-x today.

Have you read user manual?
Yes it should be like that.

05-01-2010, 04:00 PM   #8

pull the lens off... carefully pull down the "lever" that goes into the camera and look though the lens... you'll see the camera stop down as you do it...

the camera stays wide open (full open aperture) untill you pull the shutter... unless you hit the stop down button lever on the camera... same thing if you use the live view... it stops down for the pic, you get the effect...

for a brighter viewfinder... get a faster lens... faster lens will let in more light making it brighter
05-01-2010, 05:02 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by donalson Quote
for a brighter viewfinder... get a faster lens... faster lens will let in more light making it brighter
To a point, due the the optics of the VF the finder view won't get appreciably brighter past about f2.8 from my experience (and I have many lenses faster than f2)
05-06-2010, 04:29 AM   #10

thanks Distudio... was just going by what I've read... experience trumps all most of the time

I know one thing... when I look though my k10d and then go to the pentamirrored pentax SLR i've got kicking around or the pentamirrored minolta the brightness is gone... will have to pull out the old ME super to compare to the k10d...