Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2010, 10:42 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
flashing yellow and red in KX

I have read the manual but can find no reference to turning off this annoying component. When I take any photo that has black and white sections the flashing colours drive me mad as I can't see the pic very well. I took some photos of the mist the other morning and of course I get this great expanse of yellow flashing at me! Does anyone have an idea of how to turn this off?? What makes matters worse I am without a computer at the moment (library now) so can't even bring up pics to look at. thanks.

04-29-2010, 10:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's your camera warning you that there is clipping in both highlights and dark areas. You can turn it off in your menu. It's under PLAY menu #1, look in playback display method.
04-29-2010, 10:46 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The option is called something along the lines of 'highlight overexposed areas'.

BTW, if you're seeing these areas to the point where they drive you nuts, you might need to drop down by 1 or 2 EVs, especially when shooting the sky!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-29-2010, 10:49 PM   #4
Inactive Account

As others have noted, that's the exposure warning. All of the cameras have it and it's turned off on every one of mine. It could be useful if the camera could actually recognize what is Supposed to be Black, Or White, but it cannot so, useless feature IMO.

04-29-2010, 11:07 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you hangu for the method of removing, now turned off. Totally agree with you Jeff, as while I am aware that some of it does show me my stuff ups, I really don't think the shadow of the man laying a wreath (at our Anzac day) needs to ruin my eyesight. Thanks for all the replies.
04-30-2010, 06:32 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
As others have noted, that's the exposure warning. All of the cameras have it and it's turned off on every one of mine. It could be useful if the camera could actually recognize what is Supposed to be Black, Or White, but it cannot so, useless feature IMO.

I haven't used it extensively on the K-x, only on my old Canon Xsi but I can't imagine the Kx being any different:

Highlight clipping doesn't just pop up for every black/white object. It only pops up for over/underexposure, which happens to be very common with black/white objects. For that reason alone, it's a very useful feature. It's a bit disconcerting to view at times but when metering is important, it's a god send along with the histogram.

Shouldn't knock it.
04-30-2010, 06:53 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
I haven't used it extensively on the K-x, only on my old Canon Xsi but I can't imagine the Kx being any different:

Highlight clipping doesn't just pop up for every black/white object. It only pops up for over/underexposure, which happens to be very common with black/white objects. For that reason alone, it's a very useful feature. It's a bit disconcerting to view at times but when metering is important, it's a god send along with the histogram.

Shouldn't knock it.
Ok. Whatever you say.

04-30-2010, 07:03 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Ok. Whatever you say.

lol, cool!

04-30-2010, 08:15 AM   #9

Ok. Whatever you say.

Why this stance exactly? hangu made a very valid argument.
04-30-2010, 11:34 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Useless - but not for me

Reminds me of the histogram: some find it helpful sometimes, some don't ever want to see one.

I use both aids - when they help me. I'm not experienced enough, I guess, to work without that guidance on occasion.

I'm happy for you that you've arrived at that point.
04-30-2010, 02:23 PM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by xGene Quote
Why this stance exactly? hangu made a very valid argument.

Why not?

QuoteQuote:
Reminds me of the histogram: some find it helpful sometimes, some don't ever want to see one.
I don't find the histogram particularly useful either.. I prefer to meter the shot before I take it.

04-30-2010, 04:43 PM   #12
DAZ
Veteran Member

Metering is only an estimate of what you may get. The blinking lights and histogram show what was actually captured. Using these tools corrections can be made to improve a photo if required for future photos thus improving the new estimate. To see the photo with out these in the way is usually only a click of a wheel or button push away so they are hardly in the way. Like all tools they are only useful to those that understand them and chose to use them.

DAZ
04-30-2010, 04:47 PM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by DAZ Quote
Metering is only an estimate of what you may get. The blinking lights and histogram show what was actually captured. Using these tools corrections can be made to improve a photo if required for future photos thus improving the new estimate. To see the photo with out these in the way is usually only a click of a wheel or button push away so they are hardly in the way. Like all tools they are only useful to those that understand them and chose to use them.

DAZ
You mean like Reading a meter?

04-30-2010, 05:01 PM   #14
DAZ
Veteran Member

You mean like Reading a meter?

Yes a meter it one of these tools. The meter on the camera (like all meters) has errors and biases built into them. Understanding these can help make a better estimate. Then there is the question of what metering mode to use and what to meter on. All of this and more are tools in the toolbox that can be used for those that understand/choose to use them.

DAZ
04-30-2010, 05:15 PM   #15
Site Supporter

I have always had it off, but have a habit of glancing at the histogram from time to time. I think I will turn the "zebra" on for awhile. Should help.