Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2010, 11:34 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Review your camera

If you would like to post a review of your Pentax or view technical details of various bodies, please check out our Pentax Camera Review section:

All Pentax Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews - DSLR and Film SLR Database

Enjoy!

See also our in-depth reviews: Pentax Cameras - DSLR Reviews and Comparisons

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-04-2010, 01:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Would it be possible to include the M42 bodies someday? I bunch of us still use them...
05-04-2010, 01:41 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Yes- see the thread in the suggestions forum...

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-06-2010, 10:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This is a great idea, but why isn't it set up more like the lens reviews, with specific questions and ratings?

05-06-2010, 07:03 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
We thought that camera information would be much more presentable using the thread based layout, which it turned out to be. I will, however, eventually work out a camera review form with more fields, etc., similar to the marketplace listing form.

Adam

05-06-2010, 07:25 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I've now started work on the form. It won't be very difficult to implement.

What sorts of fields would you guys be interested in seeing?
Rating, value, performance, price, main review body - what else?

Adam

05-06-2010, 08:06 PM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Perhaps Feature ratings? (what reviewers think of the combination of features the camera offers as well as its user interface and user-friendliness)

05-07-2010, 12:39 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I've added some concrete fields as well as a flexible textbox that will allow for that. Check the news forum!

Adam

05-07-2010, 08:11 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Can the reviews be made to edit in a format which gives us the form so that the information can be filled out for consistency?

I like seeing the average rating and the average cost on the lens forum. I think this would be nice for the camera bodies as well. If we wanted to be more precise, we could break the ratings down to features, viewfinder, feel and finish, etc.

Are there reputation points associated with posting camera reviews? Why are the camera reviews moderated, while the lenses are not?
05-07-2010, 10:22 AM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Can the reviews be made to edit in a format which gives us the form so that the information can be filled out for consistency?
Assuming you can handle editing the raw bbcode, then yes, they will be presented in a way in which the consistency can be preserved.

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I like seeing the average rating and the average cost on the lens forum. I think this would be nice for the camera bodies as well. If we wanted to be more precise, we could break the ratings down to features, viewfinder, feel and finish, etc.
This isn't really possible at the moment as the camera reviews don't have dedicated database columns. The only way I foresee this being possible is via a sly cron-based system that scans the HTML, extracts the rating fields, and then calculates and average. I'll flag this for the future.

QuoteQuote:
Are there reputation points associated with posting camera reviews? Why are the camera reviews moderated, while the lenses are not?
Reputation can be given for reviews, just like any regular post. Unlike in the lens review database, however, reputation is not automatic (as if it were, the system would be exploitable). To compensate for this, you're able to get more reputation points over time through camera reviews, depending on the reputation power of the user and the number of comments.

Reviews are moderated because people posted just about anything but reviews in the camera section. Since I made a pretty 'add review' button (replacing the 'post reply' button), however, this has significantly decreased, and I'm sure this form will make it so as well. Nevertheless, we'll leave the moderation for QA purposes. With moderators around the globe, I don't ever foresee an approval time of more than 2 hours.

Adam

05-07-2010, 11:22 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Assuming you can handle editing the raw bbcode, then yes, they will be presented in a way in which the consistency can be preserved.

This isn't really possible at the moment as the camera reviews don't have dedicated database columns. The only way I foresee this being possible is via a sly cron-based system that scans the HTML, extracts the rating fields, and then calculates and average. I'll flag this for the future.

Reputation can be given for reviews, just like any regular post. Unlike in the lens review database, however, reputation is not automatic (as if it were, the system would be exploitable). To compensate for this, you're able to get more reputation points over time through camera reviews, depending on the reputation power of the user and the number of comments.

Reviews are moderated because people posted just about anything but reviews in the camera section. Since I made a pretty 'add review' button (replacing the 'post reply' button), however, this has significantly decreased, and I'm sure this form will make it so as well. Nevertheless, we'll leave the moderation for QA purposes. With moderators around the globe, I don't ever foresee an approval time of more than 2 hours.
Thanks. I don't quite understand why reputation is more exploitable in camera reviews than lens reviews. I would think it would be less exploitable, since it is moderated.
05-07-2010, 11:34 AM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
If review posts awarded static reputation, you could theoretically post up, delete, and post up again to accumulate free rep. Patching this would require an extra database query each time a post is edited, and I'd rather not go down that route.

Adam

05-08-2010, 12:44 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If review posts awarded static reputation, you could theoretically post up, delete, and post up again to accumulate free rep. Patching this would require an extra database query each time a post is edited, and I'd rather not go down that route.
I had figured that out, but my question was why isn't this the same for lens reviews?
05-12-2010, 02:19 PM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
The lens reviews use a completely different backend that doesn't allow users to leave rep for each posts. However, I was successfully able to add an efficient query to add reputation posts for reviews in that section.

Adam

07-02-2010, 04:20 AM   #15
Inactive Account

I definitely think you are correct there.