Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2010, 12:09 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Flash hot show cover for K7

DOes anyone know where I might buy a flash hot shoe cover for my K7 ? Yes, I've lost the pesky thing ..

04-30-2010, 12:11 PM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I lost mine for my kx, but I don't care.

And by the way:

All shoes take the same cover, because they all take the same flashes. It has nothing to do with the camera model.
04-30-2010, 12:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I like these for replacements, $5.85.

Thank you
Russell
04-30-2010, 12:19 PM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

Sorry, but to me, that thing is nuts.

Most good tripods have levels in them...for handheld, it's useless...and who cares about level anyway?

04-30-2010, 01:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote

Most good tripods have levels in them...for handheld, it's useless...and who cares about level anyway?
Leveling the tripod doesn't level the camera. With a number of heads with levels, mounting the camera blocks the levels from view. Sometimes I just have a monopod with me.

I like to use my tripod at about waist level with a right angle finder. I just like the look and the stability. Correcting level through the right angel view finder is a little harder than just looking at a level.

I sometimes take blind shots of things just because the only way to get a shot is to stick out my arm and hope. At least with this, I maybe could tell if the camera is level.

For less than what it costs for the "now can't be gotten" OEM hot shoe cover, why not add another function to it? Is it nuts to buy less for more money or buy more for less money?

Anyway, if its not for you, that's fine. The only reason to have a cover on the hot shoe is in case you bump into something. The cover will hopefully keep the slide from collapsing. The tolerance between flash and hot shoe is pretty small, so even a little bump can be an issue.

Thank you
Russell
04-30-2010, 01:11 PM   #6
Ira
Inactive Account

But who the heck needs a LEVEL? You look in the viewfinder and compose your picture.

And the only reason to me to have the cover is to protect it from corrosion, because there are contacts there, and that's also kind of useless.

Finally, the levels on my tripod do indeed level the camera. they're on the pad or ball.
04-30-2010, 01:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
But who the heck needs a LEVEL? You look in the viewfinder and compose your picture.

And the only reason to me to have the cover is to protect it from corrosion, because there are contacts there, and that's also kind of useless.

Finally, the levels on my tripod do indeed level the camera. they're on the pad or ball.
I'm glad what you have works for you and you don't have any issues. It seems I misunderstood what you meant by "good tripods have levels". It's good when it all just works.

Thank you
Russell
04-30-2010, 03:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I just got two Nikon covers from B&H. Yes I lost mine too.

04-30-2010, 05:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member

You could try DealExtreme as well: DealExtreme: $1.55 Universal Protective Case for Digital SLR Camera Hot Shoes

IMHO, the hot shoe cover is more hassle than it's worth and I don't even bother with them; I took the one on my K-7 off the day I got it and it has been sitting in the camera box ever since.
04-30-2010, 06:32 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:

And not only that, if your camera, like either of mine, has the sensor/viewfinder alignment off a little, you are still guessing how much opposite tilt to add. But it is an inexpensive cover.
04-30-2010, 06:39 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
And not only that, if your camera, like either of mine, has the sensor/viewfinder alignment off a little, you are still guessing how much opposite tilt to add. But it is an inexpensive cover.
A small sensor/viewfinder misalignment wouldn't matter much if you were doing a panorama. The thing you don't want is to have the camera rise or dip as you move though the rotation about the nodel point of the lens. If the sensor tilt is is always the same in each photo, but the horizon stays the same, you'll end up needing more overlap in the photos, but end up with a much easier stitch and better quality final photo.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 04-30-2010 at 09:44 PM.