Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2010, 01:45 PM   #1

Using K10D with a P-TTL flash - what setting?

Back asking for more help. I've just (today) got a P-TTL flash (Metz 36AF 4 P) and have to use it tomorrow.

The shots I'm taking are a one time only visit and I don't want to mess it up.

What is the best setting to have the camera on to utilise the flash to its full potential?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

04-30-2010, 03:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shoot with it a little before you go to the event for sure. But, if you set the flash on P-TTL, and make incremental adjustments to the EV both on the camera and the flash you should be able to sort it out in due time. (If I may, bad timing on the flash purchase.) I do newspaper work and that is pretty much how I do it. Mode on cam set on P. Good luck.
04-30-2010, 04:45 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know about the Metz unit but the K10d (Mine) tends to under expose by about 1 stop in P-TTL with Auto exposure (Av Tv). Practice some with typical distances and find the settings that work best. Bounce flash is better than pointing it directly at people. Remember that you can always boost the exposure some in post processing but you cannot recover completely blown highlights.

04-30-2010, 10:55 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks, all. Yes the timing sucks but I had no choice as my old flash let me down on a previous shoot on Monday. The Metz 36 AF-4 P is fully automatic, just on and off so it's only the camera settings that I need to worry about.

I've bumped up the ISO a little and shooting on 'P' and I'm now getting usuable shots, and yes, I agree about post processing. I can always up the exposure in PhotoShop.

I took a lot of shots last night and am getting the hang of it.

The pictures I'm taking are all house interiors, no people to worry about so I can take a lot of shots at different settings and play with the results.

Last edited by ScotIslander; 05-01-2010 at 12:35 AM.