Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2007, 06:08 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cekimurat Quote
1) i want to shoot directly black&white or sephia vs...
There's litte advantage in this, since it's so much nicer to be able to mix channels after the fact to get the look you want.
2) i want interval shooting inside the camera not in the remote asistant
They could probably do that without too much trouble.

3) i want to see exactly the percantage left on my battery
This one is hard to really do accurately without electronics inside the battery. It'd be convenient, but probably better to just have a second battery.

08-10-2007, 07:32 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
How about genuine mirror lockup for the K10D, not this silly business of lockup followed by exposure in 2 or 3 seconds! Lockup is good for shooting macros of flowers, etc; one can wait till the d***** breeze stops.
08-10-2007, 12:22 PM   #18
mph

How about an auto-bracketing mode designed for HDR, that would capture the entire dynamic range of the scene? It would take the first exposure (based on whatever exposure mode you're in), then increase the exposure until there are no "black" pixels in the shadows, then decrease the exposure until there are no clipped highlights.
08-11-2007, 11:09 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Has anyone got the last firmware to load in there K100? I followed the instructions and it never goes in. And I'm affraid I'll screw up the camera and have to send it to be repaired.

08-11-2007, 12:16 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Wireless flash for the K100D using the built in flash to trigger an external flash.

Auto ISO bug fix.

Find something useful for the Delete button to do during shooting. One press manual WB?
08-11-2007, 03:30 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I want a fine tuning of WB for the K100D like that on the K10D. Its pretty standard feature and even the Canon drebels have them.
08-16-2007, 11:35 PM   #22
Inactive Account

After a month with my K10D, I basically have two wishes for firmware improvements that I'm reminded of several times a day:

1) ISO should always be shown in the viewfinder (instead of available shots left) - at least as an option. I can always check how many shots I have left between shooting, but I'd like to see what ISO I'm at when I'm shooting, in all modes.

2) In some modes, in some situations (and this happens often) there's not enough light, and the blinking values will tell me that I haven't go enough (or too much) light. Example: I'm in TV mode, have a 4.5 lens, and need 2.8. Unlike some other cameras, K10 don't show me how low I am. A very easy solution would be to show the EV bar (the one that's always visible in Manual mode) whenever needed. If it tells me that I'm only one stop too low, and I'm about to take a dark shot anyway, I could (if the EV bar would be visible) just press the button and take the shot immediately instead of spending time on finding out how low I am or try to get an 'ideal' shot. The blinking is so frustrating to look at - especially since I know that there's a bar in there that easily could show me the info I want to see in a graphical + numerical way. I guess it would be an easy improvement to implement, but it would mean a vast improvement for my workflow, and for others who want to take a shot as quickly as possible.

Why hide important info that's already 'in the system' anyway?

Last edited by dLight; 08-16-2007 at 11:41 PM.
08-17-2007, 12:19 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dLight Quote
1) ISO should always be shown in the viewfinder (instead of available shots left) - at least as an option. I can always check how many shots I have left between shooting, but I'd like to see what ISO I'm at when I'm shooting, in all modes.
Set one of e-dials to control ISO. then instead of frames remaining ISO will be displayed all the time.

08-17-2007, 01:39 AM   #24
Inactive Account

I know, but that changes how the K10D behaves. Plus - I have already adjusted the e-dials settings so they show the EV bar as often as much as possible (see my other wish) even if this also is changing how the K10 behaves.

The small changes I suggest wouldn't do that. All automatic modes would still be just as automatic as they are today, and I would be able to see both the useful ISO info (normally hidden today) and the useful info about over/under exposure (normally hidden today) without changing the K10 behavior.

I'll use the TV mode as an example:
Option 1 (front dial = TV) does not give me ISO and EV info.
Option 2 (TV and +/-) gives exposure compensation control, but show no ISO, and if I use this mode, and moves the camera, the camera has stopped automatically adjusting the exposure settings.
Option 3 behaves júst like mode 2, only that the front and rear dial have swapped functions.
Option 4 (TV and ISO) allows me to adjust ISO, and allows the K10 to remain in automatic mode, but I can't see any graphical or numerical info about how much underexposed my shot will be. If I see a squirrel, I want to shoot a picture, not press buttons! If it's evening and it's dark, maybe I want a dark picture (eg.one half stop below 'middle'), but the display doesn't tell me this with it's blinking. The bar would have told me, along with the numerical values (eg. -1.3)
Option 5 behaves like option 4 (with a front/rear swap).

The solution is already in the camera: ISO and info about the light conditions can be shown (without leaving the desired mode). I can't find any reason to hide this useful info from the user, because for us, it only means more time spent on pressing buttons and switching control wheels, and less time used on shooting.

Last edited by dLight; 08-17-2007 at 01:52 AM.
08-17-2007, 06:20 AM   #25

For K100D:

1.) Auto ISO + AV compensation »bug« (not to go to ISO200)
This transfer to ISO200 from lets say ISO1600 after AV compensation correction ruined a lot of my pictures, especially when using m42 lenses, which needs to be compensated +1,5 at most times (I dont no why)

2.) Self-timer (2s and 10s) WITH combined bracketing mode
Purpose:
2s + bracketing: for HDR
10s + bracketing: for group (»fireman«) pictures

I will think of something more lately, don’t worry.

I did:
3.) Wireless function with my AF540FGZ (if this is possible only with firmware upgrade)

Last edited by Fantocci; 08-17-2007 at 06:30 AM.
10-01-2007, 02:28 PM   #26

Back focus adjustment is CRITICALLY necessary!

My Sigma 18-200mm lens's back focus adjustment is fine, the Sigma 10-20mm is quite reasonable, the Tamron 90mm Di might be wrong (it's being serviced at the moment) the Sigma 30mm F1.4 is WAY out. It's still possible to get sharp images but I have to introduce a manual adjustment. It would be so hugely helpful if we could assign a back focus compensation adjustment to a few lenses (say up to 10 lenses). That way, the Pentax K10D could perform way, way better. As we're aware, someone posted a fix (but that was only for firmware 1.10 and it would have only been for one lens). I urge Pentax to make a firmware fix, that would enable back focus adjustment to be easily performed by the user, for specific assigned lenses. Let's hope that the Pentax K12D will have live view and back focus adjust...... (It can't be long before Pentax start using the Nikon D300 sensor, can it????)
10-02-2007, 02:26 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dLight Quote
After a month with my K10D, I basically have two wishes for firmware improvements that I'm reminded of several times a day:

2) In some modes, in some situations (and this happens often) there's not enough light, and the blinking values will tell me that I haven't go enough (or too much) light. Example: I'm in TV mode, have a 4.5 lens, and need 2.8. Unlike some other cameras, K10 don't show me how low I am. A very easy solution would be to show the EV bar (the one that's always visible in Manual mode) whenever needed. If it tells me that I'm only one stop too low, and I'm about to take a dark shot anyway, I could (if the EV bar would be visible) just press the button and take the shot immediately instead of spending time on finding out how low I am or try to get an 'ideal' shot. The blinking is so frustrating to look at - especially since I know that there's a bar in there that easily could show me the info I want to see in a graphical + numerical way. I guess it would be an easy improvement to implement, but it would mean a vast improvement for my workflow, and for others who want to take a shot as quickly as possible.

Why hide important info that's already 'in the system' anyway?
Agreed with 1/: ISO should be displayed in VF, period.

Don't think 2/ is feasible: the blinking shutter and aperture tell you that you're OUT of the metering range (ie the meter cannot give you an accurate reading), it is therefore not possible to tell you how much under or over this limit the light really is since the meter cannot measure it .

Think of it this way: if the camera could take an accurate reading and display how much under/over exposed your pics are going to be, then why not expose them properly in the first place?

(Edit): On second thought, your argument makes sense if you're not out the metering range as in your example (I should always take my cofee BEFORE answering a post ), then it would be feasible to display how much under/over you are with the baregraph and my argument above is moot .

When you're out of the metering range though, all you can do is go to Manual mode and use the histo (with preview).

Last edited by lol101; 10-02-2007 at 02:48 AM.
10-02-2007, 03:02 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One thing I havn't seen anyone mention is EXIF customization.

It'd be nice to be able to have our names and copyright info (or whatever info desired) applied to the EXIF by the camera at time of exposure vs having to do it later on the computer. This could be done via a simple file load of some kind off of the SD card either once or as desired prior to each event/session/shoot.
10-02-2007, 05:40 AM   #29
Veteran Member

K10D:

In P mode: pressing AF + front wheel cycles focus points around the centerpoint. Selection is fixed when you release AF button.

- Bert
10-02-2007, 05:49 AM   #30
Veteran Member

K10D:

A compressed RAW format option: sRAW.

- Bert